Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Snow.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Snow.

CG..........here in Oregon........at least on the East side of Oregon............we have a name for what you are experiencing..........it's called WINTER!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:30 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here, we call it "early winter". Hopefully it won't last long.

Mike.. umm, yeah, perhaps you ought to!! (Take my wife.. Please!! ba-da-boom!!)

CGr.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM
SushiSeeker

29 degrees in central Florida. Kinda sucks when you don't have real heat.

Had anybody called Al Gore?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why they changed the name from "Global Warming" to "Climate Change"

It's for people who don't realize that it's real and it's happening.

Although personally, I don't think we carbon-based life forms have a WHOLE lot to do with it, but it's happening.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 AM
CGRetired

I can get along with climate change, but not global warming. Every time something happens, it's "global warming". It is getting colder so it's global warming. It's raining, so it's global warming. Blah blah blah.

Now, with climate change, yeah, it happens and it is cyclic, and there isn't anything we can do about it but wear warmer clothes.

The outside temp today is supposed to rise to around 40'ish which will get rid of some of that white stuff. Tomorrow, mid 40's and closer to 50 on Friday. Global warming...

CGr.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 AM
MinnFlyer

Lucky you! We're supposed to get dumped on again tomorrow! (And this is already the snowiest December on record)
Old 12-29-2010, 09:10 AM
CGRetired

We're watching the New Years weekend.. maybe another storm, but this one may be rain.. we will see.

The long range predictions say that January will be closer to normal than last year. Last year, we had a cold and snowy January and February with storms coming through about every five days or so for a while... kept us busy with the shovels and snow blowers. Hopefully, their predictions for January are correct and it will be reasonable.

We had the warmest Summer in quite a while, and now, with this back-breaking snow storm.. 26 inches in our area, with highs as much as 31 inches in some locations.. it was enough for me, that's for sure. The only saving grace was that it was cold, so the snow was fluffy and not heavy to move around.

CGr.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 AM
stevenmax50

Here in NE Bama we had the whitest Christmas I have seen in 52 years.  Around 3-4 inches.  Started snowing at 7am and continued till around 5pm.  It was great.  But since I had knee replacement surgury back on the 16th I have not been out in it at all.  Looks good from the window!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM
CGRetired

I hope that knee mends quickly, but it probably will not be not quick enough to get some fun out on the snow, if there is any left.

Unfortunately, once it gets warmer, as it is supposed to do today and through the weekend, what we got won't be useful to fly off of. The road to the field is dirt and won't get serviced unless someone drives over it. Or if one of our club members has a truck with a plow and does the road for us, but that isn't likely.

I really wanted to fly my Seawind EP from the snow.

CGr.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired
We had the warmest Summer in quite a while,
Yah you did. I was there. Icouldn't wait to get away from this area and out of the 100 degree weather. What did I end up in? 100 degree weather with humidity on top of that. Good thing thay have all that frozen custard for sale on the boardwalk or I might have spontaneously combusted.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
CGRetired

Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The snow in my back yard is waist high.

Since yesterday morning, all my wife has done is stare through the kitchen window.

If it gets much worse, I may have to let her in.
LMAOROF
Got me with that one, had to read it to the wife. She tried not ot laugh but couldn't help herself.
It sure is BUILDING SEASON.
Upper 20s, sunny and less than 10mph wind forcasted for our New Years day fun fly.[8D]
Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Taken outside my shop last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38757.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1539394  
Old 12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
CGRetired

Oohhh mg... Nasty stuff, for sure, Moondoggie.

CGr.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 PM
loopyrc

Had two nice days here, 28 degrees and calm. Got four flights in on the twist which was a first for me. That is on skis and winter flyingand it was great.

The skis work great!
So I will be waiting for anouther nice day to do it again since the days are getting longer.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76460.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	1539542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14642.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	1539543  
Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 PM
MinnFlyer

Why is it that the daysd are getting longer, but they're not getting WARMER???
Old 12-29-2010, 07:27 PM
CGRetired

Hysteresis?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
loopyrc

No answer to that, so only things to doin the mean timeis icefish, build, and fly when warmer then 20 degrees.

Guess I shoud work a bit also.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: loopyrc

No answer to that, so only things to do in the mean time is icefish, build, and fly when warmer then 20 degrees.

Guess I shoud work a bit also.
Heads up, the clouds were too high to drop any rain here today but we did have 40mph winds and now a fast cool down. Tomorrow they are saying ZERO with the wind chill!! So much for all those high 50 days we have been having. Maybe we will be getting a winter here after all this year??
Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
ChuckW

Gene, don't worry. It will be 119 again before you know it. I'm off tomorrow and it looks like a great flying day here. Just below freezing in the morning but 40's later in the day, partly cloudy and light wind. The wife is working so I am flying as soon as I can get myself up and out the door. Can't wait.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 AM
LargeScale88

They changed global warming to climate change. Its all a scam. They even found the document about Al Gore and global warming is a scam, but Al made big $$. Now they think they can fool us with climate change. We all (or some of us) know that its all a bunch of crap. Its just to get money. The earth is changing, but not because of us humans. In fact, its been changing the same way for millions of years, when humans weren't around.

Not to bring up any politics, everyone else made a statement and so did I.

Here in Iowa, we only about 14" on the ground. Luckily I got my telemaster with skis!!!!!!!

Jason
Old 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

Gene, don't worry. It will be 119 again before you know it. I'm off tomorrow and it looks like a great flying day here. Just below freezing in the morning but 40's later in the day, partly cloudy and light wind. The wife is working so I am flying as soon as I can get myself up and out the door. Can't wait.
Last night my wife went to work, {primm} on the 15, ran right into a blizzard from Sloan to Jean. White out!!! People just stopping in the middle of the hi way. Being Hill Billy's and knowing how to drive in snow she just got behind a big rig and they did 30mph until they go out of it. She said they discovered they were right on the shoulder of the road. Snow is still on the hi way but it's clear enough to drive on. Here at home, Nothing!! Sun is out and a slight breeze. I did go out back a while ago for a cup and a smoke, about froze my butt off but it looks nice. COME BACK 120!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 PM
ChuckW

I've seen a ton of snow covered vehicles around here today. Must have come down pretty good in the hills last night.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I've seen a ton of snow covered vehicles around here today. Must have come down pretty good in the hills last night.
Swell, I bet I start hearing from my renters!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 PM
DeferredDefect

Hmm...

Up here in northern Ontario we have had fantastic weather. It was 3 degrees Celcius, snow was melting, but foggy.

No blizzards, whitouts, or anything. In fact, the last two winters have been annoyingly warm. No snow, just endless slush. We normally average about -25 on a winter day this time of the year, but it's been hovering around zero for the past week.

I flew my Escapade off the ice yesterday - today was too slushy. Everything went fantastic. No wind, wheels had no problem over the dead smooth ice, and the runway was practically unlimited!

One issue I had though, that might come in handy for others flying off of ice, was taxiing. As there was no snow, and the ice was smooth, at idle the plane reached takeoff speed before I could turn it around.
I ended up giving it power and taking off as it was going too quick to do anything else.

It must be taken into consideration that there is almost no surface friction, and the model will accelerate very quickly.
Landing is also an issue. The model will slide forever! After two touch and goes with no sign of slowing down, I decided to land deadstick, which worked well. The stopping distance was still twice as long as on grass, though...If you have a limited ice runway, I'd pay attention on keeping the approach as slow as possible.

Happy flying! (or not)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.