Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Old 01-12-2011, 03:14 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

I'll throw in my 2 cents..........I'd go for the Futaba 7C.........not that much more than the 6EX but a few more features and truely if you never need to upgrade.........this is a perfect radio......just my opinion but if I was to need another radio the 7C is what I would go for and I'm flying a 10C right now.........just because I have a twin and a giant scale scale warbird that I need the extra channels.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 PM
fcomer84

If you are so new to flying that you need some help, get a radio that will buddy cord to other radios at your field. I use Airtronics, but I have a Futaba to help a newby with because no one else has Airtronics. The field also has a JR in the shed that was donated with a cord.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 PM
DenverJayhawk

ORIGINAL: Rockabilly Basher

PS - DenverJayHawk - What is mixing and dual rate capabilities and minor expo?

I know you got a lot of responses already, but as was said, expo is a way you can dial up or down the sensitivity of the sticks around center position. Comes in handy with twitchy planes like 3D models.

3D is a type of flying post stall. You are really flying off the engine power a lot of the time. Aerobatics is a type of sport flying that usually consists of the general loops, rolls, split s, etc.

It all boils down to your budget. The DX7 you chose is a fine system.

For me, a 6 channel is all I need in terms of channels for the type of models I fly, which is 3D and general sport. A 7 channel or 8 channel would be nice for the added mixing and triple rate switches and I might upgrade some day, but it's not a requirement for me. Right now, if I'm going to spend $600 on a radio, I'd rather spend that money on another model.

Feel free to PM me if you need any help getting started.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:59 PM
tryingagain

I can't find anything wrong with any of the advice handed out so far. All of the systems recommended have good solid features and will probably last you a good many years. The only thing I will add is if no matter how you are buying (online or local hobby shop) make sure you hold it in your own grubby little hands first. We all have different hands and making sure the radio feels right and that the sticks and trims fall nicely where your thumbs (or fingers) do I have found to be a real plus. In a lot of radio systems the stick height is somewhat adjustable but the thickness and size of the radio is not. Whatever you pick I wish you all the success in the world. ENJOY!

Cheers

Gord
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going with the DX7.
May I ask why/how you decided on that radio?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whew - that's a lot to think about ................... I'm now leaning towards the Spektrum DX7. The DX8 is like $200 more, and I'm not sure I would use the telemetry feature right now.........
There is a lot more to the DX8 than just the telemetry, the ability to adjust your retract servo or flap speed via your transmitter for example, that save's on separate modulus to achieve the same goal (ie less links in a chain that can fail), great features should you see yourself getting into larger scale aircraft down the line.
Digital radios are more than just moving a servo in accordance to how you push a stick or button, it's about good programming that enables your to get the utmost from your plane, and the hobby in general. As a rule, the more channels, the more advanced and beneficial the programming within your transmitter.

This is yet another reason behind my personal view that you SHOULD get the best radio you can afford (aside from lack of need to upgrade so quickly)
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 AM
jetmech05

model match is a neat feature no doubt....but always being a Futaba guy I never had it. I've never ever come close to flying the wrong model
Old 01-13-2011, 05:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with jetmech05 on that. While I agree that Model Match is a great feature, the ease and reliability of Futaba makes it my preferred choice.

Try binding a Spek receiver compared to binding a FASST receiver and you'll know why - not to mention the fact that you don't have to jump through hoops to mount a FASST receiver.

To further prove the point, when I do reviews the issuing company provides me with the necessary radio equipment. With the Top Flite (6 channel, 90-size) P-51, P-47, P-40, etc, they sent a FASST Rx and a 4-cell, 1000MAh battery. With the Hangar-9 RV-8, (5 Channel 60-size) they sent a Spektrum Rx and a 6-cell 2700MAh pack.

Now, which company seems to be more concerned about a voltage drop?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:38 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'm with jetmech05 on that. While I agree that Model Match is a great feature, the ease and reliability of Futaba makes it my preferred choice.

Try binding a Spek receiver compared to binding a FASST receiver and you'll know why - not to mention the fact that you don't have to jump through hoops to mount a FASST receiver.

To further prove the point, when I do reviews the issuing company provides me with the necessary radio equipment. With the Top Flite (6 channel, 90-size) P-51, P-47, P-40, etc, they sent a FASST Rx and a 4-cell, 1000MAh battery. With the Hangar-9 RV-8, (5 Channel 60-size) they sent a Spektrum Rx and a 6-cell 2700MAh pack.

That is a very valid point.

Gerry
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 AM
DenverJayhawk

I don't have Futaba. Why is it easier than binding a Spek rx?

Also, Horizon posted videos simulating brown out recovery and the spektrum brown out occurs at a lower voltage than Futaba. And it also recovered quicker. I'm looking for the video and will post a link when I find it....

Old 01-13-2011, 08:15 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

I don't have Futaba. Why is it easier than binding a Spek rx?
On the FASST Rx there is a small hole in the casing between the two antennas, inside that hole is a tiny button.

1. Turn on your Tx.
2. Turn on your Rx. (Green LED will flash)
3. Push button inside Rx with a toothpick for about 5 seconds (Green LED will glow solid)

Done
Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 AM
TimBle

I decided to save a plane and fly Futaba. I currently have a 6EX which I started in RC with and a T8FG (darn nice piece of kit).

The binding of Rx to Tx is FASST and simple. Switch on Tx, hold down bind button on Rx and power up. 1sec later led goes green, BOUND!
Futaba also seems to marry their bits more permanently but if a divorce is needed both Tx and Rx need to concent. Tx needs to be off while the Rx i s bound to another Futaba Tx. No ball aches, no hassles. Just good clean fun.

the 6EX only holds 6 models in memory but for a beginner than is probably a years worth of airplanes
The 7C is big step up but the 8FG is really the bee's knees. if you can afford it, please get one of these. You won't be sorry come July 2011 once all Futaba's plans for the next two years are available

I don;t think I need to convince anyone of the reliability of the FASST radio link. Everybody's systems work, some better than others and a few are more sensitive to set up than others. For a beginner, I'd say Futaba offers the most idiot proof set up and they provide information in the manual on how you should install the Rx (receiver).

Another wonderful event was the launch of FrSKY 8 channel multi channel receivers recently. I have a few and they seem to be painfree at the moment. They were especially painless on the wallet, I pciked up 4 for the price of 1 genuine FASST rx. Tey will do duty in my parkflyers and perhaps my .50size methanol fueled models.

No doubt , most people are happy with the choice they made but just like marriage, some do wish they had married the girl next door instead of the lead chearleader.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Rockabilly Basher

Alright - now I'm getting a little cluttered with "this is good and that is good."

Can I get a Futaba guy to list the benifits of the 7ch futaba, and the same with a Spektrum guy about the 7ch Spektrum?

I like MinnFlyer's "ease of binding" of the Futaba, but how hard is the Spektrum to bind?  I have a Spektrum for my Savage and it wasn't hard at all.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 AM
MinnFlyer

how hard is the Spektrum to bind? I have a Spektrum for my Savage and it wasn't hard at all.
When you buy a new radio, the Rx is already bound to it. It is only when you buy a new Rx that you have to bind it to your current Tx.

It's been a while, so I forget the Spek binding process, (Maybe someone can help me out here) but I seem to remember having to hold a button on the Tx as you turn it on and the Rx has to be off, but plugged into a switch with a binding plug plugged into the charging jack?

One of you Spektrum guys help me out on this. What is the exact proceedure?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Another great thread gone to crap.

Futaba guys couldnt stand it that someone picked a radio other than Futaba, so you go and confuse him. Great!

There is no problem "binding" either Futaba or Spektrum. DX7 and the 7c both work great, dont let people talk you into thinking one is good and the other sucks.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 AM
DenverJayhawk

Spektrum binding process is simple.

1. Plug bind plug into rx
2. Power up rx
3. Power up tx while holding bind button
Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 AM
DenverJayhawk

Alright - now I'm getting a little cluttered with ''this is good and that is good.''

Can I get a Futaba guy to list the benifits of the 7ch futaba, and the same with a Spektrum guy about the 7ch Spektrum?

I like MinnFlyer's ''ease of binding'' of the Futaba, but how hard is the Spektrum to bind? I have a Spektrum for my Savage and it wasn't hard at all.
Either system will work fine. There's really nothing hard about the binding process of spektrum. It's a simple procedure and you don't need to carry a toothpick around to bind your receivers Just kidding, guys.

I personally would chose spektrum because the price of their receivers are generally more cost effective than Futaba. But either system is perfectly fine. Just remember that which ever you go with, you are locking into that brand of receivers. So think about future cost as you expand your model collection and buy multiple receivers.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:36 AM
MinnFlyer

you don't need to carry a toothpick around to bind your receivers
No, you need to carry a binding plug. If I don't have a toothpick, I can use any small object. What if you don't have your binding plug?

You can always tell the Spektrum guys, they have a binding plug on their keychain, attached to their Tx, around their neck, and basically everyplace except where I say they can put it
Old 01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

You get 2 bind plugs everytime you get a Spektrum Rx. Put one in your field box, the other you put INSIDE you controller next to the battery so you always have one.

Just remember to pull the bind plug before you turn off the Rx, and you ready to fly.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
MrCoffeeMax

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Futaba guys couldnt stand it that someone picked a radio other than Futaba,
No, they can get Hitec or Airtronics too

We just view someone buying a Spektrum like watching someone walking into a burning building

Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 AM
DenverJayhawk

you don't need to carry a toothpick around to bind your receivers
No, you need to carry a binding plug. If I don't have a toothpick, I can use any small object. What if you don't have your binding plug?

You can always tell the Spektrum guys, they have a binding plug on their keychain, attached to their Tx, around their neck, and basically everyplace except where I say they can put it
I guess I'd rather have a bind plug on my neck strap then a toothpick or needle in my field box.

Minnflyer....of course this is all in jest... Either system will work fine for the OP.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM
DenverJayhawk

ORIGINAL: MrCoffeeMax

Futaba guys couldnt stand it that someone picked a radio other than Futaba,
No, they can get Hitec or Airtronics too

We just view someone buying a Spektrum like watching someone walking into a burning building [img][/img] [img][/img]

LOL. Oh my lord. Please. Talk about over reaction. I've not had ONE single problem with my Spektrum. Not ONE.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
MinnFlyer

I guess I'd rather have a bind plug on my neck strap then a toothpick or needle in my field box.

Minnflyer....of course this is all in jest... Either system will work fine for the OP.
Yes, all in Jest... Of course, I don't NEED to carry a toothpick with me. I have never lost a bind
Old 01-13-2011, 10:52 AM
TimBle

You get 2 bind plugs everytime you get a Spektrum Rx. Put one in your field box, the other you put INSIDE you controller next to the battery so you always have one.

Just remember to pull the bind plug before you turn off the Rx, and you ready to fly.

OOOOooooo 2 bind plugs. Thats about the only redundancy or safety you get with a Spektrum
Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM
TimBle

How do you get into a bind with a Spektrum.

drum roll

Ans: You buy one

ba..dish

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.