Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Haters! LOL

I bind once, done.

DX7, the only JR built Spektrum radio works great. 99% of the problems with ANY radio is user setup. You guys are leading a new guy astray with your stupid and immature statements.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Stiknrudder
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: TimBle

How do you get into a bind with a Spektrum.

drum roll

Ans: You buy one

ba..dish

how do you get into a bind with Futaba? when those potentiometers react differently every time you move the stick.. IN all seriousness, between my 9503 and the 7C I upgraded from there is night and day in the feeling of control and translation of stick movement into the plane. JMHO..to Minnflyer.. have never lost a bind on my spektrum equipment, but I have had my SO's son try to fly 2 planes at once and crash the heck out of 2 because he forget in his 9 y/o ADHD world to select the right model. hey the prop turned, let's fly.. I have had to swap a reciever at the field and bind it, but at $59 and change, I can afford to cary a spare reciever without a C-note invested. OK serious now!!!!!

OP, IF you live in a populated area, I would stay away from 72mz. I would hate to hear you lost a plane because of a CB radio with a linear on it, or some kids Wally World/Ebay special. Join a club. find out who has to have the biggest and baddest equipment as a penile enhancer. See what they want to sell. THat's how I got the 9503..6 months old, bought in off season so had almost no hours on it, and then the 11x came out. $250.00 later, I had the next to biggest and baddest and one heckuva radio. For less than 1/2 price.

Rick
Old 01-13-2011, 11:49 AM
capo915

This rhetoric is the reason I try and stay away from Futaba radios. They are very good systems but VERY OVERRATED. I know at least 5 or 6 guys at our club that wont help anybody if they have a different radio other than Futaba. Its almost like an elitist club in that " yours is good but mine is better." You want a cheap receiver? Nobody can beat Hitecs Rx's. Extremely affordable and Im not even gonna say how easily they bind with each other. Not to mention they plug into a computer for UPDATES! Most radios now offer some sort of update for software and that should be a plus not a deal breaker. Apparently alot of Futaba guys dont like one more step of binding and Spectrum guys dont like checking their systems so model match is perfect for them! Thats why I chose Aurora 9!!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rockabilly Basher

Alright - now I'm getting a little cluttered with ''this is good and that is good.''

Can I get a Futaba guy to list the benifits of the 7ch futaba, and the same with a Spektrum guy about the 7ch Spektrum?

I like MinnFlyer's ''ease of binding'' of the Futaba, but how hard is the Spektrum to bind? I have a Spektrum for my Savage and it wasn't hard at all.
While I use a Specktrum setup on my plane and heli and have never had any issues as I always use 6volt systems as it allows for more power and torque from my servos (important, point when flying big 50 sized nitro helis), IF I had the option, I'd go to a Futuba setup as from what I PERSONALLY understand, even though I have NEVER has an issue (and odds on never will), the Futuba signal is more secure and less prone to interference akin to that listed in the video below (rare it may be, but it's possible).

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy7Gg6Tj57Q[/link]

The simple point, it that Futuba and Specktrum will BOTH works perfectly if used correctly and are market leading brands for a reason (they work!). The key question I'd take into account if I was you, is what are the majority of people at the club you (should be) looking to join using? .... which ever of those two brands it is, get that brand, you'll get better set-up advice, you can buddy box, etc etc.
As for the idea re binding being a point to take into account, if you take that extra time spent on a specktrum binding process as being a deciding factor as to the equipment you get (all 2 min of it), my thought would be that it's best you don't get into this hobby! (seriously, you move the battery plug to another channel on the RX, insert a binding plug in the battery port, turn the rx on, then the tx while holding a switch, wait 5 seconds and your done once you place all the servos and batteries back to where they are meant to be!).
Model aircraft as a hobby is all about an investment in your time .... time spent choosing a plane, time learning to set up your plane, time spent actually setting your plane up, time spent in your simulator, time learning to fly, time at the field, time rebuilding your plane or heli when it all goes horribly wrong, more time spent on your sim mastering that new 3D move you want to nail ........... etc etc etc
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM
capo915

The simple point, it that Futuba and Specktrum will BOTH works perfectly if used correctly and are market leading brands for a reason (they work!). The key question I'd take into account if I was you, is what are the majority of people at the club you (should be) looking to join using? .... which ever of those two brands it is, get that brand, you'll get better set-up advice, you can buddy box, etc etc.

As for the idea re binding being a point to take into account, if you take that extra time spent on a specktrum binding process as being a deciding factor as to the equipment you get (all 2 min of it), my thought would be that it's best you don't get into this hobby! (seriously, you move the battery plug to another channel on the RX, insert a binding plug in the battery port, turn the rx on, then the tx while holding a switch, wait 5 seconds and your done once you place all the servos and batteries back to where they are meant to be!).
Model aircraft as a hobby is all about an investment in your time .... time spent choosing a plane, time learning to set up your plane, time spent actually setting your plane up, time spent in your simulator, time learning to fly, time at the field, time rebuilding your plane or heli when it all goes horribly wrong, more time spent on your sim mastering that new 3D move you want to nail ........... etc etc etc

[/quote]

Very well put! Though I would suggest that the remaining radios are just as good and probably easier on the wallet. Futaba has been around for years and yes they are proven. But other radios need to be judged on their own merits and not the end-all be-all debate of whether Futaba reigns supreme. All have their pros and cons and its up to the individual to decipher which suits him better not what OUR tastes are. Thats why they are OUR tastes!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When binding a spektrum... it is really two steps... first you bind the receiver to the radio... then you proceed to set up the airplane and make the radio settings that are necessary for the plane...

After the radio work is complete and all the servos are plugged in, you need to determine the stick positions for SmartSafe Fail Safe... set the throttle position, and switches to their defaults and bind the radio and transmitter again. These settings will be use during a reboot after a brownout, or a loss of signal. See page 18 of the DX7 user manual.

Now you are ready to fly.

I have seen several Futaba guys fly with the wrong plane selected...(dangerous situation) Therefore, I like the model match feature of the Spektrum/JR system. Forget a bind plug? All it is, is a short piece of wire jumping the two out side conductors of the bind port... maybe not as readily available as a pin or tooth pick, but not hard to find something to work... I have so many receivers that I usually have a couple in each radio box.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Nitro-Tom

This is my first year flying, so bear with me if I don't know what I'm talking about. I have the Switch and the Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane - both are RTF brushless foamies. I've re-built the Skylane 3 times now, but I'm happy to report the Switch has flown twice and doesn't have a scratch on it!!

My issue is that one is a 2.4 ghz and the other is FM. I know that sooner or later I will have one radio and matched receivers in my different planes. i need to replace the receiver and esc in the FM based Skylane, but don't want to waste my $$$ if I'm just going to go to spread spectrum anyways. So, what is a decent mid level radio that I can use comfortibly, is reliable, and I can grow into? And do I really need to replace the servos from the ones that come with the kit? Are ball bearing servos really that awesome? What's the difference?

I would like to be able to just get the ARF kits and add to it, but I have no idea what's good and what's not.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Futaba 6EX 6 channel 2.4GHz and it comes with the R617FS receiver and 4 S3004 ball bearing servos. From there I would simply get more of the same servos and receivers as I get more planes. Does this sound correct, or am I off my rocker?

Any assistance will help this newb save a bunch I'm sure, so thanks in advance.

Sounds good, BUT my vote would be to go 7 Channels or more.....so you are growing into the radio and it's features and not replacing it later.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My best guess at this point would be a Hi-tec Aurora 9 combo......They are nice and really the hi-tec can't be beat from around $350 base and combos where you get the 7Ch Rx and you can always buy 9 Ch Rx units later as you grow...

Lots of guys at my field loving this radio!
Just my 2 cents.....

Edited by Moderator to remove questionable statement.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rockabilly,
Most all the radios these guys are bashing or praising are good units. It's like the ford/chevy wars lol.
Any of the brand name 6 or 7 channel radios work great used properly. If you are joining a club see what they run. It will be great if you ever want to run the trainer box mode, other guys in the club will know programming techniques for it also. Somewhere i seen mentioned to hold the radio in your hand for feel first. this is also great advice. if the the transmitter feels clunky to you and hard to hold onto, how are you going to control the plane any different? My advice is for you to go out and look at the radios in a hobby shop, hold them in your hands and see which one YOU like. You are the guy using it after all.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Futaba 7C FASST vs. Spektrum DX7: advantage holder named first:

-Spektrum DX7 has 20 model memory while Futaba 7C FASST only has 10
-Futaba 7C FASST has a proper "trainer" switch while DX7's is poorly placed and akward to use
-Futaba 7C has dial for variable flap adjustment versus DX7's 3-position switch (none/half/full)
-Spektrum DX7 has Model Match feature, 7C FASST requires you to verify your model selection prior to flight
-Spektrum DX7 comes with high capacity 1500Mah tx battery, 7C FASST comes with 600Mah tx battery
-Futaba 7C FASST is user switchable from Mode1 through Mode4, Spektrum DX7 cannot be changed without sending in for service

Each pilot will have to evaluate for himself which advantages matter most. I have a 7C 72Mhz radio system and fly Airtronics RDS8000 and SD-10g for 2.4Ghz. While I've never flown with a DX7 transmitter personally, I think it's a fine transmitter for pilots who don't need to instruct students. Just remember to set up a throttle kill mix before that first flight!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:07 PM
smittyjames

The only real question is 12X or 14mz. 12X stands for how many times you have to explain to your wife the cost, mz stands for million zillion ________! Fill in the blank.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
on_your_six

Any information you get from an obviously biased reply should be discarded... (I fly JR and Spek, but I started out with Futaba)

There are many good radio systems, Futaba, Spektrum, JR, HiTec Aurora, (and I am sure many more name brands) and there are a heck of a lot of radios coming in from china... some very good stuff out there, if you are willing to investigate.

The thing is that once you make a decision, you will be flying it and buying matching receivers for quite a while... at that point changing brands is difficult and costly...

The only thing that I see that I like about Futaba is the flexibility of being able to assign functions from one place to another. With that ability comes a bit of complexity..

A radio is NOT a lifetime decision, you will likely be changing in 3 or 4 years because of the increase in features. The radio market is preparing to really change again with the telemetry features.

If I were buying a radio today, I would look closely at the DX8 and the Hitec Aurora 9 channel... both have telemetry built in now.

I like the ease of programming my Dx6is (2) and my JR 9303... I do not especially like the DX7 programming, but you can get used to it.

I like the programming of several of the Futaba radios that I have experimented with.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 PM
bigdanusa

Right now I'm leaning towards the Futaba 6EX 6 channel 2.4GHz and it comes with the R617FS receiver and 4 S3004 ball bearing servos. From there I would simply get more of the same servos and receivers as I get more planes. Does this sound correct, or am I off my rocker?

Any assistance will help this newb save a bunch I'm sure, so thanks in advance.
See, in the OP's 1st post he's already thinking Futaba.

Now that's a "smart" beginner!

Now if he was a "real smart" beginner he would get the system below and worry about upgrading later on as most of you probably did when you first starting out. That's why they have them on the market; they are geared for beginners without all the bells and whistles.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEFJ4**&P=0

Or, why stop at a 6 or 7 channel when you can get a 14 channel and go all the way out! You'd really look cool flying your little trainer around with this baby! And it's under $5,000.00 too!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=JVE

big dan

Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM
capo915

Man, Im sure you were looking for a couple of helpful comments but as you can see you have asked a very touchy question and some of these answers I would throw away in the trash. Just know that the radios you initially asked about the 6EX or DX7 are fine radios and youll be more than ok for a while with either choice!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Any information you get from an obviously biased reply should be discarded...
Well put, as there are a few in here with the blatant basis 'chev/ford' views!

As for amount of channels, my heli is a PERFECT example of why you should get as best a system as you can afford (if it's 14 channel, and you can actually justify it to yourself, then so be it - do it!).

I CAN fly my heli on a 6ch system like I do currently, that's true. I got it as at the time, it's what I could afford.
What I don't have is the ability to program in more than two flight modes, while on a more advance system, I could have up to 3 (VERY useful with helis). On that more advanced system I could run the throttle governor where I could set the head speed from my transmitter, and have two-three specific flight setups that would be available from a single switch (back to that programming bonus from more expensive systems), I could also set it up in a scale body and run switchable lights, landing gear etc if I wanted, I could also run a flybar less multi gyro and lose the flybar on my heli ..... but I can't, as my 6ch system that just cuts the mustard re MINIMUM requirements won't allow me to do any of those items I listed!

Now IF I go down that scale heli path as I always felt I would, I will need some of the items/features listed above that I can't do currently on my Dx6i, I am going to HAVE to upgrade, at which point my old TX will just become LOST MONEY!
Sure, I can still fly my 4ch trainer plane on the 6ch tx, but why the hell would I want to take another transmitter to the field when the new one I will be forced to buy will do everything that the old one will do (not like I can fly two aircraft at once) .... and if someone thinks it's uncool for me to be using a high end radio on my basic 4ch trainer as I see I will be .... who the hell cares, that's his problem, not mine.

At least if I had saved a little longer and got a 8-11ch system for my heli and not the 6ch one I have, I would not have to spend even more money down the line as I see I will - period!!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
bigdanusa

Now, if I can just decide what radio system I want to fly you with I'll have you up in no time!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64740.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	1547154  
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Nitro-Tom

Good for you!!! To the OP

As you can see I recommended the Hi-tec Aurora 9 in my last post, because TODAY I think that is the best value....

That is what I would get if I had to do it again today......

But I started out with a DX7 and have been flying it for over 4 years......it is a great radio and enjoy all your features!

As you can see many of these threads get into a Spektrum -vs- Futaba battle and there are good points on both sides......

Either is a great radio and I personally think you made a good choice, so enjoy your BNF options (Micros and park flyers) as well as the features of your new DX7!!!

Good luck in this great hobby!!!!

Just toss that 4.8V battery IF the combo comes with a 4.8V Rx pack and fly 6V packs.....the hydrimax ultra 6V 2000Mah packs are great!

Enjoy and safe landings!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:49 AM
on_your_six

The only reason, AS A BEGINNER BUYING MY FIRST RADIO, I would not buy the Aurora would be because of the lack of help I would be able to get at the local field. Unless your field has a bunch of them of course.

That being said, you have the instruction book and the internet to ask questions. It is not that difficult to learn to set up a plane... as they say, the devil is in the details.

I have heard that the guys love the Aurora radio... I have yet to see one at our field, but we are mostly Spektrum/JR guys on 2.4.

Plan to read the manual... even if you don't understand what you are reading.. keep going, you will pick up a few things... set up a simple plane, then read the manual again... things always work better if you read the instructions.

I don't agree with the advice of buying all you can afford. Sure you can buy the 14 channel transmitter, and get great results.... by the time you have grown enough with the hobby to need the 14, the technology will have changed and you will end up buying another very expensive radio.

For the vast majority of sport flying people, 6 channels is adequate. If you are going to fly multi-engine warbirds, with flaps, gear and servo controlled features(bombs, rockets, lights) you will gobble up channels quickly.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:54 AM
TimBle

well if you care to rad the original post you will see he asked if a Futaba T6EX was good enough for his purposes and it was good value for him since it come with a Rx and Servo's. Then some Spektrum geek jumped in and offered his perpective on things and tried to sell him into a pot of misery using more model memoery etc as a selling point.

From that poin on it became a brand war as most of these posting do. Its only the Spektrum/Jr camp who get overly sensitive, opush their own brand, lose the debate and then default to the "they all work" , "its personal choice" .

His original idea was sound and the radio he wanted would meet his needs more than adequately, but it had to develop into a brand war.
Interesting that the Spektrum folk seem to want to get more people on their system. The rest of the world prefers to be on Frequency hopping. i guess Spektrum is the last remnant of of US products left in the hobby? Shame since DSM2 is simply outdated and obsolete technology.
I may even try a JR on DMSS someday but DSM2 is a pot of misery to be steered well clear of IMO.
I am happy the guy chose a Hitec system. The A9 is a good radio, and its a darn site better than any DSM2 device. Happy flying, you saved a plane today
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 AM
on_your_six

Go back and read the OP (which I just did to be sure)... he said he was "leaning" toward the Futaba.... he asked about the Spektrum.

For a large part this thread has not been a manufacturer war... good information by both sides and there are good sides to both.

Both systems work.... it just happens that my field went the Spektrum route... likely because of the initial cost of the Dx6i. At the time 6 channels for $150 was the best deal... still a good deal, and now the $50 Dx5e is even better.

If we were planting planes all the time because of the radio system, I guarantee that we would not be buying Spektrum/JR...

I know and understand the frequency hopping issue... and JR even has systems sold elsewhere in the world with that capability... It just does not seem as important as Futaba makes it out to be... The retort is; if it works, and it does, that is a pretty good marketing point for Spektrum. DSM2 is alive and well, no matter how many say otherwise. Good radios at reasonable prices... and now you can buy DSM2 receivers for about $13 out of Hong Kong.. further reducing your cost.... and they work.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:05 AM
TimBle

The only reason, AS A BEGINNER BUYING MY FIRST RADIO, I would not buy the Aurora would be because of the lack of help I would be able to get at the local field. Unless your field has a bunch of them of course.

That being said, you have the instruction book and the internet to ask questions. It is not that difficult to learn to set up a plane... as they say, the devil is in the details.

I have heard that the guys love the Aurora radio... I have yet to see one at our field, but we are mostly Spektrum/JR guys on 2.4.

Plan to read the manual... even if you don't understand what you are reading.. keep going, you will pick up a few things... set up a simple plane, then read the manual again... things always work better if you read the instructions.

I don't agree with the advice of buying all you can afford. Sure you can buy the 14 channel transmitter, and get great results.... by the time you have grown enough with the hobby to need the 14, the technology will have changed and you will end up buying another very expensive radio.

For the vast majority of sport flying people, 6 channels is adequate. If you are going to fly multi-engine warbirds, with flaps, gear and servo controlled features(bombs, rockets, lights) you will gobble up channels quickly.

Actually you can gobble up 6 channels pretty quickly.

All you need is a Stik with flaps and 4 wing servos, one for each aileron and one for each flap so that they can be mixed in with the ailerons to provide aileron control as well as flap and crowbraking.

so Channel 1&6 will be ailerons
2 is elevator
3 is throttle
4 is rudder
5 is rettracts or flaps....
but you need an extra channel to have two flap servo's so a 7channel Rx is needed.

Fortunately the Futaba T6EX (which he originally wanted to buy) comes shipped with a 7channel Rx so then the flaps can be set to Channel 5&7

But wait, the 6 channel radios don't have assignable channels so the 5 is for retracts and 7 is aux which can be mixed into anything.... hmm now its tricky.

So what he really needs is a minimum 7 channel radio where the channels can be assigned to functions...
Enter the Futaba T7C or T8FG or the Hitec A9.

Those are excellent choices, but the 6channel 6EX would have been ok for starting out with a first and 2nd plane perhaps the 3rd and a few parkies
Old 01-14-2011, 04:13 AM
on_your_six

6 channels is enough if he chooses it to be so... the ailerons can be flown on one channel and wyed together, the elevators can be controlled with a reversing wye, and the gear can be controlled with a fifth channel.

So it can be done.

I like separating the channels so I bought a 9 channel radio as my SECOND radio. Don't advise the beginner to spend money they may not have. One or two crashes and they are gone from the hobby.

Someone else can take over... I am done with the thread.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Nitro-Tom

well if you care to rad the original post you will see he asked if a Futaba T6EX was good enough for his purposes and it was good value for him since it come with a Rx and Servo's. Then some Spektrum geek jumped in and offered his perpective on things and tried to sell him into a pot of misery using more model memoery etc as a selling point.

From that poin on it became a brand war as most of these posting do. Its only the Spektrum/Jr camp who get overly sensitive, opush their own brand, lose the debate and then default to the ''they all work'' , ''its personal choice'' .

His original idea was sound and the radio he wanted would meet his needs more than adequately, but it had to develop into a brand war.
Interesting that the Spektrum folk seem to want to get more people on their system. The rest of the world prefers to be on Frequency hopping. i guess Spektrum is the last remnant of of US products left in the hobby? Shame since DSM2 is simply outdated and obsolete technology.
I may even try a JR on DMSS someday but DSM2 is a pot of misery to be steered well clear of IMO.
I am happy the guy chose a Hitec system. The A9 is a good radio, and its a darn site better than any DSM2 device. Happy flying, you saved a plane today

He chose a DX7 - and how can you say all the above.....IF YOU are a futaba guy, you don't know.......first hand.....I, on the other hand OWN a DX7 and have flown it for thousands of flights, without ONE SINGLE GLITCH.....NOT ONE!

EVERY SINGLE plane that went in was my thumbs!

Setup, need to pay attention there, use 6V, flight log.......etc......

And all the futaba guys say "We don't brown out"......haven't you seen the video produced by John at Spektrum.....they BOTH drop at the same voltage which is BELOW what the servo needs anyway, so WHO CARES!!!!

Futaba is a bit overpriced in my opinion.....and how you Futaba guys get amnisia and forget the overheating issues and all the planes that went in when that was going on, not to mention the early days of FASST were NO BETTER than any other 2.4

AND FUTABA was NOT the first on 2.4........

It just amazes me the brand loyalty issues......and just for the record, my AR9100 with 4 rx units in the plane , has the best antenna diversity you can have......so while the link is NOT frequency hopping, and I believe that freq. hopping is a plus to avoid "SOME TYPES" of interference.......I can "Measure" the frame loss and "See" and holds if they occured.....you guys have little IF ANY visability how your stuff is doing......

I can't wait till the next era, which I suspect is going back to HAM radio and registered users, which I am all for......if the FCC opens up 2.4 as I susspect, this will all move back to HAM, and we will not have these issues, and then we can post a comment about SPEKTRUM, JR, or whatever without being attacked......

I am sick of this!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Nitro-Tom

From that poin on it became a brand war as most of these posting do. Its only the Spektrum/Jr camp who get overly sensitive, opush their own brand, lose the debate and then default to the ''they all work'' , ''its personal choice'' .

And by the way......I have also concluded after reading SEVERAL posts from guys bashing SPEKTRUM in South africa......you guys must have gotten a container of Spektrum stuff that got dropped at the dock, or something......

I have seen every guy from capetown to whereever bashing SPEKTRUM......when there MUST be something going on down there.....2.4 video camera with 100 Watt Liner amps hidden in the trees looking for somali pirates?[:-]

I don't know, but just for the record, the technology works FINE.....we have FLA Jets, Joe Nail, and Top Gun, all events on my side of the pond with HUNDREDS of folks flying for days, LOTS and LOTS of them JR, and little to any issues....

I actually spoke personally with the director of development at Horizon after the last Joe Nail and with all this reboot brown out hoopla there were THERE......doing crash investigations, like any good manufaure would be.....and only found 1 unexplained event, which could easily be hardware failure due to heat, vibration, manufacturing, etc....

not to mention that 80% of the radios there were JR/Spektrum (Not my words-if you don't believe it ask John)

I just wish that BOTH CAMPS would tone it down a bit, looses the retoric and stick to the facts!

While I have defended my choice, I recognize that Futaba is a great radio.....I wish I could say the same for your camp[:@]

Old 01-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Nitro-Tom

6 channels is enough if he chooses it to be so... the ailerons can be flown on one channel and wyed together, the elevators can be controlled with a reversing wye, and the gear can be controlled with a fifth channel.

So it can be done.

I like separating the channels so I bought a 9 channel radio as my SECOND radio. Don't advise the beginner to spend money they may not have. One or two crashes and they are gone from the hobby.

Someone else can take over... I am done with the thread.

I did for a couple of posts......and I will stay on to return fire once more if necessary, but I am with you.....he bought a Dx7......if it was me, I MAY have done that, but likely would have went hi-tec with the A9.....depends on who can be buddy boxing with me if I am that new.....

When I did start, having a Dx7 was a HUGE PLUS......

I am just tired of these "Brand Wars" and all the retoric....it is silly and in my opinion lowers the value of RCU.....it's a shame.......

I have a Dx7 and defend Spektrum JR whereever and whenever I can.....especially against false statements not based upon facts.....but i recognize that the futaba is good stuff, many nice features, I used to dabble in R/c when AM was hip......before FM, and back then I actually liked the futaba programing better......even today that holds true.....

but they are different, example is expo....on a JR you use positive and a Futaba negative values (I think) but I am 100% sure they are the oposite......

I just wish we could all see that the other side is different, and yet still good......without some engineer thinking "Outside the box" and making something different we would all be using the same old drab technology.......Hats of to those who profected Frequency hopping......DSMJ (Spektrum for Japan) uses that.......

I wish mine did just so I don't have to hear the Futaba guys every day saying "Mines better".....

Sorry if I am a bit defensive, it is AM here and the first post I read really set me off..........

My day off and it's too cold and to windy to fly[:'(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.