Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 AM
DenverJayhawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

ORIGINAL: TimBle

well if you care to rad the original post you will see he asked if a Futaba T6EX was good enough for his purposes and it was good value for him since it come with a Rx and Servo's. Then some Spektrum geek jumped in and offered his perpective on things and tried to sell him into a pot of misery using more model memoery etc as a selling point.

From that poin on it became a brand war as most of these posting do. Its only the Spektrum/Jr camp who get overly sensitive, opush their own brand, lose the debate and then default to the ''they all work'' , ''its personal choice'' .

His original idea was sound and the radio he wanted would meet his needs more than adequately, but it had to develop into a brand war.
Interesting that the Spektrum folk seem to want to get more people on their system. The rest of the world prefers to be on Frequency hopping. i guess Spektrum is the last remnant of of US products left in the hobby? Shame since DSM2 is simply outdated and obsolete technology.
I may even try a JR on DMSS someday but DSM2 is a pot of misery to be steered well clear of IMO.
I am happy the guy chose a Hitec system. The A9 is a good radio, and its a darn site better than any DSM2 device. Happy flying, you saved a plane today
If you care to read the entire thread, you'll see OP inquired about a DX7 after one poster said they outgrew a 6EX and replaced it with a DX7. It was not a sales pitch to go with Spektrum. But simply one poster's history of going through radios.

From that point on, it became the usual Spektrum bashing by people that have no idea what they are talking about except for 2nd and 3rd hand internet stories of a brownout issue.

I don't have any way to prove it, but I'm willing to bet that 99% of the "spektrum brownout" crashes is pilot error. Charge the battery and you'll be fine. But hey, why expect anyone to charge the battery before flying? It's not possible that the pilot may have screwed up. Therefore, it HAS TO BE A PROBLEM WITH SPEKTRUM. When you sell the most products, then a larger portion of crashes is statistically going to be using spektrum gear.

I don't have any problem with hitec, futaba, or airtronics. I've owned both hitec and airtronic systems in the past and they worked flawlessly as well. But It just gets old hearing people bash Spektrum when 99% of it is unfounded.

For anyone that has Spektrum receivers and thinks there's a problem with them, I'll make an offer: Since you think they are faulty, then hopefully you won't try to sell defective equipment to someone unsuspecting. That would be bad karma. That means you are probably just stuck holding the gear and moved on to something else. PM me and I'll take it off your hands and I'll pay for the shipping. I'll bet that no one will give me their "defective" spektrum receivers even with free shipping.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so sensitive these Spektrum boys...

The guy I was going to buy a DX7 from demo'd the radio with a Fox glider. Wonderful I thought the radio has so many features.
Then came the inevitable "errr Hold on I think somethings wrong..." the glider simply flew away never to be seen again. Prop turning so the battery was not at fault.

User number two was flying his Stik, 2nd flight of the day, 6V high capacity battery with the Rx mounted far away from the engine, satellite receiver in the tail. take off, bank right keep banking right level wings planes heads skyward, snap wings wiggle, engine throttles up, full power in the lake. He was holding the radio above his head at this time to indicate he had a problem. no movement on the sticks, plane had a mind of its own. Servo failure? I doubt it.

this is jsut two incidents. There is one spot at our airfield where all the Spektrum users seem to have an issue. To date only one plane has crshed due to it but they all avoid that spot like the plague, 2.4 users that is. Someof the other DSSS types also have an issue there yet the FHSS types don't. Now that airfield has a mobile phone network pylon close by as well as high power electricity transmission lines. Most FM folk don't have an issue, most FHSS folk don't, but most DSSS folk do. Are they all a bunch of ham fisted muppets? Why is it after wo blokes changed radio's they could fly straight throught the area's they could not fly through with DSSS?

Of course you can't answer the question but you can tow the corporate line of "there is no problem but the user."
Having seen these issues I have no appetite for a system that inexplicably has problems while the whole distribution network uses damag control.
The mere fact that one party of the DSM2 crowd has another system and is introducing a proper Constantly agile DSSS system tells me that even they dont have faith in DSM2.

Having flown a few newbies lanes equiped with that system I can feel when it no longer has a hold on the plane and it happens often. Where other planes on Fm or FHSS simply feel connected the DSM2 stuff just feels loose as if the plane is a step or two behind you. I could never recommend a system to a newbie that I don't feel confident in. I don't know the answer to the DSM2 issues either and yes there are folk who don't have an issue at all but I wonder if they know when there is an issue.

Lastly if a system is known to be voltage sensitive how can be defended as not having a problem?

Futaba, Hitec, Multiplex, Jr DSMJ ( feels far more solid than DSM2 but still not as good as FHSS) these are far better than DSM2 IMO.
How can I say DSM2 is rubbish? I have tried it. I don't have to own something to have a bad feeling about it. Do youhave to get married to find out if the cheerleader is money grabbing dumb blonde?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Hey Futaba haters, send me your hated Futaba radios. Spektrum/Jr haters send me your hated Spektrum/Jr radios. [X(]

I wound up with a Spektrum DX7 as my second/third radio. I think it is a good radio for the money as I got a super great deal on mine. Never really had a glitch that I could blame on the radio.

Does that mean I would not use a Futaba? I would use a Futaba in a heartbeat I just have plenty of Spektrum receivers now and won't invest a lot of dollars to replace them now, so probably will hang with Spektrum.

I really would like a JR 9503 for my 50cc plane, that way I could build in a tad more redundancy.

I wonder if these guys would do real battle over these radios? One thing I do notice at the clubs I am involved with is that most everyone is moving over to 2.4 stuff. 2.4 is really nice and the Spektrum Model Match is a super nice feature on the Spektrums.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:17 AM
DenverJayhawk

So irrational these Spektrum haters.

Are you seriously ready to peg SPEKTRUM as a defective based on two incidents? I've seen many, many crashes on NON DSM2 systems at my field where the pilot appeared to lose radio contact. But I don't go blaming that on their radio equipment.

Also, there's clear proof that Spektrum and Futaba brownout at the SAME VOLTAGE as demonstrated by numerous videos. Also, the SPEKTRUM recovered more quickly than FUTABA. But who cares, because Spektrum has a known brownout problem as evidenced by the thousands of internet RC pilots that also have electrical engineering degrees, right? Don't let any of the facts get in your way. For every case of reported Spektrum defect, there's got to be 10x of cases where users have no problem with their DSM2 gear.

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for DSM2. It just gets old hearing people bad mouth DSM2 to a newbie when I believe most of it to be untrue. As I stated earlier, my offer stands to anyone that has DSM2 gear.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Nitro-Tom

Lastly if a system is known to be voltage sensitive how can be defended as not having a problem?

Futaba, Hitec, Multiplex, Jr DSMJ ( feels far more solid than DSM2 but still not as good as FHSS) these are far better than DSM2 IMO.
How can I say DSM2 is rubbish? I have tried it. I don't have to own something to have a bad feeling about it. Do youhave to get married to find out if the cheerleader is money grabbing dumb blonde?

PLEASE ...Get your FACTS right.....the Spektrum Full range Rx units are NO MORE sensitive to low voltage than a 7 CH FUTABA rx unit. The Director of product development for Horizon Hobby (A BILLION dollar company) published a video on this topic.....and you can SEE for yourself the Futaba 7CH rx unit going down to the SAME low voltage cutoff as the Spektrum AR7000

The spektrum (With fast connect) actually recoverd a fraction of a second faster (it was visualy obvious) but the point is BOTH units did fine, since they were BOTH still in contact with the TX far below the minimum operating voltage of the servo they were driving.....who cares!

And I wonder, how did YOU, in south africa TRY a DSMJ unit? You fly in Japan? These are limited to the Japan market, and it is probably illegal to use in South africa.....it would be in the US......

I tried to buy a DX10 - The new software in the Dx8, but it is a European Tray radio.......and confirmed it is not legal in the US.....so I left it and will eventually get a new radio, with more channels.....

My point here is Stick to the FACTS....and my investagative report indicates there are some issues at YOUR field.....so don't bash the system.....just becuse it does not work well in your environment....

The results you see in South Africa are NOT typical of what is likely to be the best selling radio system in the hobby today.....

I am sure you have some issues local to your area, again, or the container of Spektrum stuff got dropped, at the end of the day, sorry to hear about YOUR issues, but the results are not typical....

I trust my entire fleet to my Dx7, and see guys with $30,000 jets do it every day at my field.......

Instead of bashing the product here, you guys should be proactive and get into touch with horizon support, see if some real RF guys can help figure out what is going on out there.....THAT would be productive.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:24 AM
MakeItSo#1
My Feedback: (40)

Hey have you taken a look at the Hitec line as for your needs and cost effect. The optic 6 and the optic 6 sport are both great choices also because you can get a module to work with what you have currently and also what you would hope to grow into. www.hitecrcd.com .

Here is what they come with, and I hope this help. Also the price is great bought one for my childrens trainer and they work great here is some info.

Available Models
•Stock #158241 Standard System Transmitter, (4) HS-325HB Ball Bearing Servos and Optima 7, 7 Channel Receiver, with Rechargeable Transmitter and Receiver Batteries and AC Charger

•Stock #158242 2.4GHz TX & RX Combo Transmitter and Optima 7, 7 Channel Receiver, Rechargeable Transmitter Batteries and AC Charger

•Stock #158243 2.4 GHz Super Value Combo Transmitter and 2 Optima 7, 7 Channel Receivers, Rechargeable Transmitter Batteries and AC Charger

Hope this helps..
Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Nitro-Tom

How can I say DSM2 is rubbish? I have tried it. I don't have to own something to have a bad feeling about it. Do youhave to get married to findout if the cheerleader is money grabbing dumb blonde?

PLEASE ...Get your FACTS right.....the Spektrum Full range Rx units are NO MORE sensitive to low voltage than a 7 CH FUTABA rx unit. The Director of product development for Horizon Hobby (A BILLION dollar company) published a video on this topic.....and you can SEE for yourself the Futaba 7CH rx unit going down to the SAME low voltage cutoff as the Spektrum AR7000

The spektrum (With fast connect) actually recoverd a fraction of a second faster (it was visualy obvious) but the point is BOTH units did fine, since they were BOTH still in contact with the TX far below the minimum operating voltage of the servo they were driving.....who cares!

And I wonder, how did YOU, in south africa TRY a DSMJ unit? You fly in Japan? These are limited to the Japan market, and it is probably illegal to use in South africa.....it would be in the US......

I tried to buy a DX10 - The new software in the Dx8, but it is a European Tray radio.......and confirmed it is not legal in the US.....so I left it and will eventually get a new radio, with more channels.....

My point here is Stick to the FACTS....and my investagative report indicates there are some issues at YOUR field.....so don't bash the system.....just becuse it does not work well in your environment....

The results you see in South Africa are NOT typical of what is likely to be the best selling radio system in the hobby today.....

I am sure you have some issues local to your area, again, or the container of Spektrum stuff got dropped, at the end of the day, sorry to hear about YOUR issues, but the results are not typical....

I trust my entire fleet to my Dx7, and see guys with $30,000 jets do it every day at my field.......

Instead of bashing the product here, you guys should be proactive and get into touch with horizon support, see if some real RF guys can help figure out what is going on out there.....THAT would be productive.

Your blind faith in Mr Horizon is touching. Ihope he rewards you one day with golden receiver.

So here are the facts, not what some suit tells me.

1) Isee slow bind on DSM2 everyweekend or maybe the speed of light is slower down here.
2) DSMJis on sale in SA. DSMJis actually only unavailable in the US, ask the nice suit why (He wants your money thats why)
3) Its not typical? well do a internet search and theres plenty of issues around the world with DSM2. Strangly not DSMJ (Europe, Africa, Australasia - that the big island and all the the little ones in the South Pacific Idian Ocean border)
4) LIke Isaid, we do have a harsh environment at our field yet 56Mhz, 35Mhz and FHSS have zero problems with the environment.
5) Being the number selling brand of radio in the US means very little since there is a world outside of the US... I know its hard to believe but just check Google Maps if you're uncertain.
6) The suit from Horizon has a vested interest in making sure that theres a message out there that "Everything will be fine, don't Fear"....sound familiar
Old 01-14-2011, 11:53 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have a 6EX and I use it on a regular basis. Do I ever need more? On rare occasions I do, so I also have a 10CG, but I rarely use it beyond what the 6EX can do............. in a few years, IF you need more, you can have TWO radios in case you ever need a backup (I have about ten right now )
See, 9 isn't enough, 10 radios are just right! 6EX and keeping it as a back up radio is a great idea, because radios are really changing fast lately.

I'm down to a 9C and 5U, doing similarly the same thing, using the 9C was for ease of programming than utilizing all of it's features. The 9C was less than $200 buying it as the "best discontinued thing" out there, for less than half the price of the 8FG or Aurora 9. I had a 8FG and 10CA, but felt no advantage (for my hangar) to owning the 9C for so much less.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Rockabilly Basher

Update - re - this entire thread:

I think you all are very passionate about this hobby.  And probably a little nuts.  But I have been able to sift through all of your "stuff" and I think I can definitaly make an informed decision.  I haven't bought my radio yet, only because I haven't made it to the shop yet to hold each model in my hands as suggested to test for fit.

And for the record:  I am a Chevy man through and through, but I'm driving a Ford.  Sounds crazy you say - my first 3 trucks were chevy, but I fell in love with the new super duty and Chevy didn't have anything for it.  Even as I am driving my ford, I'm wishing I was in a Chevy only because I love the brand.  Brand loyalty goes a long way in any arena, but the Chevys at the time didn't have the right "fit" so I went with Ford.  I'm not a trader, just a savvy consumer.  So for all you die hard Futaba and Spektrum guys - don't be offended if you think you didn't make strong enough points and I go the other way.  You have prepaired me as well as you could for me to make a very informed decision.

that being said, someone mentioned that I should get as many channels as I can afford.  Money isn't the issue for me (I do well for myself, but that's not the point.)  Even though I could get 11 channels, I feel that I'm too new to be able to use all of the features, and I am afraid I might get lost in the technology, get overwhelmed trying to mix and worry about voltages and telemetry and whatever.  As I said before - I'm just trying to get it back on the ground in one piece.  For that reason alone I am going with 7 channels.

I think this thread has run it's course, and to all I want to thank you again.  And for the record - I hope that I never become as opinionated and one sided as some of the folks here.  But if I do, I know I will be in good company.

Cheers.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Just get a JR FHSS 7-channel radio, and everyone will be happy!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Ok.. I've been watching this thread now for a couple of days. I even deleted a few posts and edited out some comments that were not helpful for anyone but the poster's ego.

This is going in the same direction of most of the other "radio" posts that come up in this forum, and they usually end up getting locked down. The main reason is because some of you guys just can't seem to remember the purpose of this forum.

So, with that said, I'm locking it down. I've had just about enough of the ego, and chest-thumping with regard to your best and favorite radio system. If you can't agree or agree to disagree, well, as I said, enough.

CGRetired.
Beginners Moderator.