Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

Old 01-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Rockabilly Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

This is my first year flying, so bear with me if I don't know what I'm talking about. I have the Switch and the Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane - both are RTFbrushless foamies. I've re-built the Skylane 3 times now, but I'm happy to report the Switch has flown twice and doesn't have a scratch on it!!

My issue is that one is a 2.4 ghz and the other is FM. I know that sooner or later I will have one radio and matched receivers in my different planes. i need to replace the receiver and esc in the FM based Skylane, but don't want to waste my $$$ if I'm just going to go to spread spectrum anyways. So, what is a decent mid level radio that Ican use comfortibly, is reliable, and I can grow into? And do I really need to replace the servos from the ones that come with the kit? Are ball bearing servos really that awesome? What's the difference?

I would like to be able to just get the ARF kits and add to it, but Ihave no idea what's good and what's not.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Futaba 6EX 6 channel 2.4GHz and it comes with the R617FS receiver and 4 S3004 ball bearing servos. From there Iwould simply get more of the same servos and receivers as Iget more planes. Does this sound correct, or am Ioff my rocker?

Any assistance will help this newb save a bunch I'm sure, so thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Beginner Needs Help Choosing a Radio

ORIGINAL: Rockabilly Basher

................ Right now I'm leaning towards the Futaba 6EX 6 channel 2.4GHz and it comes with the R617FS receiver and 4 S3004 ball bearing servos. From there I would simply get more of the same servos and receivers as I get more planes. Does this sound correct, or am I off my rocker?

Nope, you are still firmly planted on your rocker and on the right path (re many planes on one remote and the fact your looking at 2.4Ghz)
Re the 6ch systems, they are 'limited' to around 10 or so models normally (my Dx6i Specktrum unit only has 10 available), and are not normally supplied with an upgradable memory like the higher end units that use SD cards for memory and model expansion.
IF you think you will end up with 10 or less, the 6ch system you list is a great idea (I just had my dad get that very system). IF you thin your going to go nuts and get lots and lots of planes or some big scale jobs with retracts and door bays etc, get the best system you can AFFORD - it'll save you money in the long run!
All the best!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I have the 6EX, but out grew it. I bought a DX7 to replace it and love it. The DX7 came down in price and is only $50 more with digital servos.

If you like Futaba, i would say to save up some more money and get the 7C ($320) for $80 more.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This is my first year flying, so bear with me if I don't know what I'm talking about. I have the Switch and the Flyzone Cessna 182 Skylane - both are RTF brushless foamies. I've re-built the Skylane 3 times now, but I'm happy to report the Switch has flown twice and doesn't have a scratch on it!!

My issue is that one is a 2.4 ghz and the other is FM. I know that sooner or later I will have one radio and matched receivers in my different planes. i need to replace the receiver and esc in the FM based Skylane, but don't want to waste my $$$ if I'm just going to go to spread spectrum anyways. So, what is a decent mid level radio that I can use comfortibly, is reliable, and I can grow into? And do I really need to replace the servos from the ones that come with the kit? Are ball bearing servos really that awesome? What's the difference?

I would like to be able to just get the ARF kits and add to it, but I have no idea what's good and what's not.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Futaba 6EX 6 channel 2.4GHz and it comes with the R617FS receiver and 4 S3004 ball bearing servos. From there I would simply get more of the same servos and receivers as I get more planes. Does this sound correct, or am I off my rocker?

Welcome to the hobby!

Answers in order: The Futaba radio you mentioned is a quality unit. You might consider the Spektrum DX6i however. It has basically the same features, but the advantage is that Parkzone and E-Flite make the "bind and fly" planes that comes with Spektrum receivers already in them. If you plan to still fly foamies much, it's a good bit cheaper to go that route. If you aren't planning to fly any more park flyer planes, I like my Airtronics RDS8000. It's cheaper than the other two radios and has 8 channels instead of 6.

Ball bearing servos will last longer under hard use. Your planes aren't hard use, so don't worry about it. If you start doing aerobatics with more powerful nitro powered planes, the beefier servos are a good investment.

For ARF's Great Planes and Hangar 9 don't make a bad product. For servos, Hitec, Futaba, JR and Airtronics all make good reliable stuff. You just pick the strength you need and features.

On buying receivers, each maker has a range of different ones. For example, my Airtronics radio has 8, 7, 6 and 5 channel receivers available. I buy them based on what I need for the particular airplane I am outfitting. Fewer channels cost less, and the function is the same.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Rockabilly Basher

Thanks for the input.  I fugured I was on the right trackk with the radios, but I am going to check into the whole sd card thing.  The cessna has flaps and is 5 channels, so i thought 6 would be safe, but I will also check into 7 ch radios. 

And thank you Jester for your input on servos - I was going to go out and replace all 9 servos in my foamies with ball bearings because I thought somehow they would be better - saved me a couple bucks there. 
Old 01-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a Futaba guy that bought the Hitec 2.4 module to convert his radio over to 2.4, my radio is the Futaba 9-C so it was worth converting. One thing about the different brands you will notice is the Spectrum systems, JR, DX types have a better selection of RXs and you can get them often on sale a lot cheaper. Another thing you may find is there are a lot of Bind and Fly planes for the Spectrum. Not so much for the Futaba and Hitec. Just something else for you to look into before you buy. Do your homework and look at what the different radios have in the way of programs then pick out the one you like best.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 AM
jetmech05

I too am a Futaba guy I went from a Sky Sport 4 to the 9c thinking I'd never use that many channels but, used them all on a gasser. Bigger airplanes can use more than one channel for the same function .....ie dual aileron servos uses 2 channels and dual elevator servos uses 2 channels, that makes 4 channels gone. When I switched to 2.4 last spring I stayed Futaba, all my settings on my 9c were the same on my new 10C.
The point I am trying to make here is get the biggest baddest radio you can afford even if at this point you never see yourself using 9 or 10 channels.....You just don't know where this hobby will take you.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 6EX and I use it on a regular basis. Do I ever need more? On rare occasions I do, so I also have a 10CG, but I rarely use it beyond what the 6EX can do.

A lot of people will tell you (as they already have) to buy the biggest, baddest radio that you can afford. I disagree - but there's logic to my thinking, so follow me here.

If you buy a good radio now, like the 6EX, you will more than likely enjoy it for a few years before you outgrow it - IF you ever do!

So IF you ever need to upgrade, it won't be until a few years down the road. Now... Look at how much radios have advanced in the last two or three years. So let's say you shot your wad now and don't "NEED" to step up later, but in three years they have a new feature that you really wish you had. But you can't justify buying a new radio because you already have a 3-yr-old model with all the "Bells and Whistles" (Except that it doesn't have the LATEST Bells and Whistles).

But if you get a basic radio now, in a few years (If you care to) you can upgrade to a radio with the newest technology.

Oh, and another very good point... Some people seem to think that you should own one radio that will do everything including your laundry. What's wrong with having two transmitters? I know a guy who had to send his one-and-only Tx in for service in early July and didn't get it back until late August. He missed the biggest chunk of the flying season because he had ONE super-duper radio instead of one nice one and one basic one.

So by getting the 6EX now, in a few years, IF you need more, you can have TWO radios in case you ever need a backup (I have about ten right now )
Old 01-12-2011, 07:02 AM
jetmech05

Minn makes some good points but I stand by the biggest baddest you can get.....the price of a 6 channel now and lets say a 10 later will be more money than a 10 now.....neither of us is wrong just different ideas....actually you've asked a difficult question...depends on what you want to do later and how much you love the hobby
Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 AM
DenverJayhawk

for me personally, it's a balance between what models I want and what radio I want. I chose to go with a 6 channel radio and spend the money on new models and parts. I also don't fly scale warbirds, etc that need more than 6 channels. I'm mainly into 3D and aerobatics now. The only thing I would suggest if you go with a 6 channel is make sure it has basic mixing and dual rate capabilities. Highly aerobatic models can get sensitive, so it's nice to have some minor expo dialed in too.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 AM
jester_s1

I see it Minnflyer's way too. If you plan to advance to more complicated planes in the next two years, then by all means go ahead and buy the radio you'll need for them. But any longer than that and a new model will probably be out. Then you'll have the option of buying the one that you're looking at today used for a lower price, or getting the new one. For example, check out prices on the JR 9503, and then look at how much the older 9303 is selling for. The new one has a couple of features and more memory, but it's basically the same high quality radio.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is one of the things Mike and I go in different directions but only to a point. When students ask me about radios I tell them to first give it a lot of thought, are they going to stick with the hobby?? If they are sure then I tell them to buy the best radio they can afford because it will be with them for a lot of years. It doesn't have to be the best on the market or the biggest. At one point I had two students, one young and one older. The young one bought the DX7 and the older fellow bought the JR 9303. The young man is out of the hobby and the older fellow is now into much bigger planes and the 9ch is working out well for him. I have run out of channels a number of times with my 9 but you can work around that little problem. I don't use Ys, there are better things on the market today.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Rockabilly Basher

Whew - that's a lot to think about.  But i think I got the jist of what everyone is talking about.  I have been doing a lot of research and I think I'm finding out that i REALLY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FLYING.

As DenverJayHawk was talking about, I should have a radio that has mixing and dual rate capabilities.  And how do I dial in "minor expo"?  And what's the difference between 3D and aerobatics?

I'm sure someone is laughing at me for asking these questions, but I've learned more in the last day reading your responses than I have over the last 6 months trying to figure it out on my own.  

Also, I have looked at the bid-n-fly planes, and there is a fair selection.  Is the only benifit of bind-n-fly that I don't need to buy another receiver?  Aren't I paying for the receiver with the price of the kit, or is there another advantage?

I'm now leaning towards the Spektrum DX7.  The DX8 is like $200 more, and I'm not sure I would use the telemetry feature right now. My knees still get a little weak when I fly and  I'm still worried about getting my planes back in one piece, so I don't think another distraction would be good for me right now.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Rockabilly Basher

PS - DenverJayHawk - What is mixing and dual rate capabilities and minor expo?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
capo915

A little opinion never hurt anybody! I have the 6EX and loved it!!!!!! That is until I purchased the Hitec Aurora 9. And I have a feeling if I ever purchase the Futaba 12C that would be the best. If the 6EX is all you will ever own then you will have a great time with trainers, cubs, u-can-do 3d planes, sport flyers, Cessnas (without lights), Biplanes and alot more models that I have not mentioned even a few warbirds! In short you will have a great time with this radio. If you have a small amount of desire to fly warbirds, IMAC scale like Extra 330's that are 25% or bigger or if you want to put cool things in like lights, retract doors, pnuematic doors or bays, smoke, projectiles and the like look for something bigger.

The 6EX is a great radio and it has alot of bells and whistles like expo(stick movement), end point adjustment(for your throttle), dual rates(in case you want a different setup on the fly) no pun intended! The 6EX is great but its greatness is dependant on the type of aircraft you WANT to fly. Dont worry about flying tomorrow or next week. Worry about flying the types of aircraft you REALLY want to fly. And that doesnt happen for a good 2 years or so!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 AM
capo915

Mixing is when your radio does two, three or four different things with one input. Most scale aerobatics (IMAC, IMAA) have some sort of a mix. Lets say you start an incline and you see that the plane starts moving a little left on you while you are climbing. Well if your radio has mixing you can set your rudder to slightly move with the elevator so one movement(down elevator which causes lift) will also move your rudder so there is no left or right movement of the aircraft. Like I said its much more prevalent in aerobatic type flying where you need precision. Dual rates is allowing your plane to handle two different ways with a switch of a button. You could program your sticks where your plane turns slowly and then program the high rate to make the plane turn quicker. Its a touchy subject with dual rates but thats basically it.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
bigdanusa

PS - What is mixing and dual rate capabilities and minor expo?
Those are 3 things you don't really need at this point since you are somewhat of a beginner. Your main goal now is to learn how to fly planes, period!

Get a simpler rc system like the one listed below and I guarantee it will make your plane do just about anything ANY other radio system will. (Lots cheaper too) I use them all the time and I've been flying quite a while.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEFJ4**&P=0

big dan
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As to your questions:

Dual Rates is a feature best left alone unless you fly 3D - More on that later.

Expo is short for Exponential. It is a way of "softening" the sticks near their center position. For example, without expo, when you give 1/4 stick, you get 1/4 servo movement - Likewise, 1/2 give you 1/2, 3/4 = 3/4 and full = full

With some Expo dialed in, (and these amounts will vary depending upon the percentage of Expo you're using) 1/4 stick may give you 1/8 servo movement. 1/2 will equal about 3/8, 3/4 =11/16 and full still equals full. So you still have full control, the sticks are just les sensitive near the center to help you keep your minor adjustments minor - Whereas, Dual Rates is a way of diminishing control across the entire range. So if you have your dual rates set to 50%, when you turn them on (with a switch on the Tx) at full stick, you only get 1/2 servo travel.

Before I go any further, let me explain what 3D is: This is a type of "Flying" where the plane really isn't flying at all. You need a very light plane with really big contol surfaces and a LOT of engine. In 3D, you are actually controlling the plane with the wing in a fully-stalled condition, so you can do things like Hover and other maneuvers that a plane shouldn't normally do.

So keep these huge control surfaces from being overly sensitive while you ARE flying normally, it's nice to have Dual Rates to calm things down.

The problem with using them on a regular plane is that many people forget to turn them on and off. I have seen countless crashed because someone tried to do a loop but forgot that their dual rates were on so they didn't have enough control to recover. It only takes one brain f@rt to total your plane.

Mixing has several purposes, but the two most common uses are to "mix" two controls together - for example, I have a Cessna 310 that needs a touch of down elevator when the flaps are deployed. So I "Mixed" 8% down elevator to my flap switch. Or you can slave two channels together so if you had two elevator servos, rather than use a Y cord, you could plug one into the elevator channel (let's say Channel 2) and the other into channel 5 and then make channel 5 slaved to channel 2 so that whatever channel 2 does, channel 5 will copy.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Clay Walters

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...y-rds8000.html

Another to consider.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choose a radio that guys at the field can help you with... if your flying field is all Futaba... go that direction... Spektrum/Jr... go that direction...

6 channel computer radio is probably enough for now... if you are sure that you will be flying for at least a couple of years (who can tell that?), then you might want to consider a 7 channel radio.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM
rivas8409
My Feedback: (1)

I remember when I was in the market for my radio-  The guy at the hobby shop asked me (same as people here have responded), "What do you WANT to fly?"  I thought about it for a few seconds and realized that I really want to fly warbirds.  He then asked, "What kind of control surfaces to you want in your planes?"  With all the cool things you can do with an RC model that was a little tougher to answer but I finally concluded that I would only need 6 channels- throttle, elevator, ailerons, rudder, flaps, and retracts.  I was looking at Spektrum radios so the way I answered those questions made my choice easy.  I bought the DX7.

I figured that since I really only wanted 6 channels I'd get 7 so that I could have the flexibility of that extra channel for lights, or maybe an opening canopy, bomb drop, etc. 

I guess the point I'm getting to is what most people have said already-  Ask youself what you want to fly, NOT what you're flying now.  Do you want to do scale flying, or 3D?  Do you see yourself sticking to park flyers, or going up to 40 maybe 60 size planes?  Or are you wanting to get into the BIG model?  All things you should ask youself.  I've gotten endless hours of fun and have had an awesome time with the 7 channels I have yet to need them all.  I do have a DX5 that I picked up for a killer price as a "backup" but it's just that.  If I ever decide to go deeper into the hobby by going to large sacle, or maybe jet, then I'll pick up a "bigger" radio.  Honestly though, that part of the hobby doesn't interest me as much as just throwing a 40 size sport plane or warbird in the air and flying approaches, which I think is the most exciting part of this hobby....landing.

My advice, pick up a DX7.  It'll be more than enough radio to grow into, and if you outgrow it then spending the $$$ on a bigger radio won't be an issue- cuz you'll probably have spent alot more $$$ on the planes that will need that bigger radio.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM
jester_s1

With most planes, the only benefit of BNF is not having to buy a receiver. Yes, you are paying for the receiver in the price of the plane but it's generally cheaper than buying the plane and then buying the receiver separately. It's not a big difference, but if you like the foamy planes it makes life easier. Some of the micro sized planes have the Spektrum receiver integrated into one unit that has the servos too, so no other receiver can be used.
The DX7 is a good choice, especially if you want BNF ability. It has all the programming that most flyers need, and it is simple enough to learn quickly.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
capo915

The only thing about the DX7 I dont like is its not ready for telemetry. Neither is the 6EX for that matter. Now alot of us say its not worth it but I like the idea of being able to see altitude, ground speed or true airspeed, Voltage meters for battery, fuel gauges (especially this one) and temperature readings. I believe the new 8 channel is equipped but not this radio. Telemetry is the new wave of the future for radios so another thing to consider.................Boy Im glad Im not the one deciding!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Rockabilly Basher

Thank you all!!!  from your explinations of mixing servos and 3D flying to your varied responses on radio choices.  I guess an arguement can be made for just about any radio out there, but the "why's" of buying a radio have been examined and explained fully by you all.

I'm going with the DX7.  But, I just got my parts in for my Savage XL so I'll be busy with that for a while.

Thank you all again for your help and insight.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
TedMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having read the responses you have gotten I would say they covered most everything WITH one exception and to me a very important one. "Model Match" this is available only with JR / Spectrum. This will not permit you to fly the wrong plane since each rx is individually bound to the tx.Check this out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.