Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Facebook or RCU

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Facebook or RCU

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Facebook or RCU

Do you prefer Facebook or RCU?
How many of you visit more RCU than Facebook?
Where do you post the majority of your pictures?
I personally dont have a Facebook page. Here is RCU I can see pictures of other clubs and airplanes, see the market place and most of all get advise when I have a question or problem.
As far as I am concerned RCU is the Facebook of RC ers
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Facebook or RCU

To put a point on it, absolutely no.. nada.. negatory.. no freaking way.

I had an account back about a year ago that I started at the suggestion of a friend. A very short time later, I found that someone that I didn't even know had commented on something of a somewhat personal nature that I posted. I thought the only people that would see it were "my friends". Then, I started getting Emails from folks on my personal Email contacts list saying that I had invited them to join up with Facebook. Hey, I never invited anyone to join. But, when I did join, they, Facebook, went into my personal Email account, grabbed my contacts list, and sent out these so-called invitations to everyone in my list. Some of those folks were downright angry that I did that, and I had to explain that I did not give anyone their Email address, and that it was done by an invasion of my privacy by stealing my contacts list.

I shut down my account that very day and that was that. When I got an Email from Facebook asking me why, well, the above was worded somewhat differently, but the content was basically the same. So, no Facebook or any other social networking web site for me.

My personal business is just that.... my personal business, and no one else's. And, to be honest, I don't give a rat's behind that someone just washed the dishes, or went to the bathroom, or took a shower, or just played tiddly-winks with the grandkid. I just don't care.

RCU is very different. We are here because we want to be and have a common interest.. Radio Control. No one in RCU went out and solicited me to join, no one in RCU asked me for any of my personal business, and truth be told, everyone within RCU are considered 'friends".. some more than others, but you get the idea. The management here at RCU are a group of total Gentlemen and Ladies and are very accomodating and extremely helpful in every aspect of Radio Control in general and RCU in particular. I love it here and would never consider leaving.

CGr.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 AM
Insanemoondoggie

They both have their use,s. . Facebook is great for staying in touch with family and freinds and sharing other interest than RC hobby. Lets face it, no one that comes to RCU is interested in my 2010 camping trips. If I post pic's of my RC stuff on FB, there not as much interest there.
As far as posting picture theRCU siteis a realPITA , but great for RC information. The server problems have been going for some time now, people are getting tired of it, and you don't see as much postings with pic;s.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Facebook - RCU; apples and oranges.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
P-Y

I spend more time on RCU than on Facebook.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Villa

Hi CGRetired
Thanks for your excellent comments about Facebook. I have been curious about it and have tried to understand it because some relatives are on it. Thus far I see nothing that interests me. Glad to see there are at least two of us.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 AM
lopflyers

Well, to stay in touch w my family and friends I use the telephone.
On the contrary in FB people that I dont want to stay in touch with (my ex) can find me and see my business.
Here in RCU you can get help, and help others from all over the world. Also your privacy (email add) is more protected here.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are two completely different animals. RCU is more of a discussion forum and focused specifically on the RC hobby. Facebook is more of a social networking site. I am "friends" on Facebook with a few RCU members and other RC contacts but it is mostly used for keeping in touch family and friends outside of the hobby. Even then, it is mostly for the ones who live in other parts of the country that I do not see often.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
fly boy2

I agree with Chuck,thats how I see it. I find that theses are the only 2 sites I'm one everyday
Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 AM
carrellh

Do you prefer Facebook or RCU? For anything RC, I prefer RCU. To send a message to a friend, Facebook (or phone or email).
How many of you visit more RCU than Facebook? I visit both every day
Where do you post the majority of your pictures? Probably equal. I do not post many 'RC' pictures on Facebook and I do not post many 'non-RC' pictures on RCU

As Chuck mentioned, I consider them totally different.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you sign up to FB there are blocks you can click on and no one can get in. Sometimes!! I have had friends get hacked into and used to send out spam from there FB accounts. I have an account but don't bother with it often. My daughter got me to join up, she posts photos of the kids on it, so does my daughter in law. According to my daughter she just didn't have time to do here email??? Yet I find her on her FB all the time???[:@] Almost all my family has a FB account so I'm able to see what is going on and we do chat. I use there messaging more then posting anything out in the open. If you don't want it read then don't post it. Like all these sites it's sort of a no brainer. I think I went onto my site last week to look at some photos?? I pretty much don't use it but I have met up with a lot of folks I haven't spoken to in a lot of years.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have visited Facebook several times to try to understand what it's about, but I obviously don't get it. The only thing I take away from Facebook is that some people believe that they are so popular or important that other people are anxious to know what they did throughout the day. They don't. If there is another reason for Facebook, I am eager to understand it.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't get it either, email is just a lot better idea. I have a building partner/friend in NY, we email all the time, we both have a FB account but neither of us use it often. It's just an open social network but I know people that just love it and only use FB now for messaging?? {Is that a word??}
Old 01-17-2011, 12:20 PM
carrellh

Facebook reminds me when friends have a birthday in the upcoming week. There are other ways to be reminded but this way requires no effort other than reading an email. If I upload a picture to Facebook, it puts a note (with a thumbnail) on my friends' page and they can click to see it... or not. If I email the same picture to my friends, their email software has to download the file before they can even read the message to decide if they want to look at the picture. A couple of my friends have dial-up internet service so receiving large files can take a while.

If Facebook disappeared today the impact to me would be very small. Some people might not get a 'Happy Birthday' note from me, and they might get stuck downloading a picture they don't want, but that's about it.

If RCU disappeared today the impact to me would also be very small. I'd miss RCU more but would be 'over it' pretty soon.

Both are good for passing time when things are 'slow' at work.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 PM
CGRetired

carrellh: RCU must be a tad bit more important to you than that. After all, since you joined in 2003, you've posted 5707 messages [X(] . But, I agree with you about Facebook. It could go away today and it would mean absolutely nothing to me at all.

CGr.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
lopflyers

Social nettwork: a group of people that gather together to interct with each other. Isn't that what this is?
I admit, RCU doesn't remind me of anything but I really dont care much for people's bday except for mi wife's and children'.
I am passionate about RC flying and if Iam not working I am either flying or in RCU so even if I liked FB I dont have the time to know when my neighbor did the dishes or why my coworker is mad at her husband[X(].
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
greg d
My Feedback: (34)

I hope rcu gets the bugs out of this last upgrade cause up until them I really thought this was the best,lately I have began to wonder
Old 01-17-2011, 06:14 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...est=latestnews

just another reason RCU is better in my opinion
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

I stay as FAR AWAY from Facebook as possible. Opened up an account for the wife so she could have something to visit with her girlfriends on. Got a strange call from one of them one morning asking "are you guys really in Europe and need money to get home because you were robbed?". Needless to say we were sitting in the house at the time. Somehow someone had hijacked our MSN email account through Facebook and mass emailed everyone in our address book. I had gotten a little lax on my passwords and so we found out not only had they gotten into our email, but they had found and changed our password as well. That resulted in us not being able to get into our own account as all of our friends started getting these bogus emails. Most of them all new it was a hoax but we had been on vacation several weeks earlier and some friends didn't know what our travel plans had been. Those that did reply were actually emailing the kidnapper of our account. It didn't take long to get it shut down through MSN and re-assigned back to us, but it was a hassle I do not want to go through ever again.[>:]

Needless to say I closed the account 'permanently' [>:], awhile ago we received a message from family through facebook. I replied and guess what, my closed deleted account was instantly reactivated.

Yea, I just love Facebook [:'(]

RCU on the other hand is my home away from home when I need to just read about fellow RCer's while we sit here and watch in snow................
Old 01-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Mooney_driver

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Do you prefer Facebook or RCU?
How many of you visit more RCU than Facebook?
Facebook. What is that? I do not have my face on a book!

As has been mentioned, I use facebook very little and hate it. I use it to keep in touch with relatives that Inever see and some I have never seen. That is to say that Iuse it once in a blue moon. RCU Iuse a tad bit more but mostly just eavesdrop. Once in a while Ihave to pop out of the woodwork though.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Oberst
Banned

RCU only for now. I just hope RCU fixes the picture uploader and other bugs before I change my mind. [:@]

Pete
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75947.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1549637  
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

I understand some folks may not grasp the entire internet thing but its really quite simple.

A few easy steps to follow.

1: Make an email account at hotmail, yahoo, google ,gmail or any of the many free sites that offer it. Use itexclusivelyfor signing up to any and all sites that require a valid email account to register. Keep your primary account for important things like family and friends.

2: Create a folder in that account and name it passwords or anything that you can remember and put all your validation/registration email for all the sites you sign up for in it. RCU, Facebook, ect. ect. Only use it for this purpose and any and all spam from the sites you signed up for will be delivered to it.

3: NEVER PUT ANY INFORMATION ON THE INTERNETYOU DON'T WANT THE WORLD TO KNOW ABOUT....EVER.

Simple huh ? I thought so.

Your welcome.
wahoo

Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 AM
CGRetired

Avoid it. What could be simpler?

Imagine.. face to face conversations. Telephone calls between friends... real friends. Imagine [X(]
Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 AM
Insanemoondoggie

Thanks for taking the time to post some constructive info wahoo. We live in the age of the internet and it's just not FB you have to protect yourself from.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.