Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: >Question: Why do you love rc aviation?

I knew those pictures would come back to haunt me someday!
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If thats a haunting I no longer fear ghosts!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just don't let the wife see it or she won't let me go to Toledo anymore!
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was raised up around aviation as my father and his two brothers were pilots. We flew Aeronca Champs, Piper Cherokees, a wonderful Beechcraft D-18 and many cessnas. When I was 9 Y/O I built my first control line airplane then many more including some cox airplanes too. Pretty soon I had a whole room full of static plastic airplanes hanging from the cieling and several engines and kits and planes. When I was 12 my dad & I built our first radio from a Heath Kit. I think that one reason I love R/C is the adrenaline rush I get when I fly. The satisfaction involved from building and then flying them succesfully is tremendous. I now have 6 R/C planes ready to fly and 4 more in kit form with engines ready to build in all size ranges. THIS IS WHAT I DO. I awlays have and I'm good at it. Relatively I feel that this hobby is less expensive to be involved in than full size sport aviation. I suppose that if I were to sell all my stuff I could afford a light sport challenger and a rotax...boring! There's nothing like the feeling of comaradery at the club, the conversation and coffee, and watching the look on everyones faces when you bring out of the truck your brand spanking new big bird with airshow smoke and sponsor logo decals! When you start the high performance engine and the 3 guys up in the air suddenly land so they can enjoy the spectacle of the talk of the day...

Is that enough?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pretty simple:

I have always loved aircraft but can't afford (nor will I ever be able to afford)

An airplane
    Hangar
    Maintenance costs
    Annuals
    FAA physicals
    Basic license
    IFR rating
    Multi Engine rating
    Aerobatic license
    etc.
    etc.
    etc.

I spent some time as a kid/ teen hanging out with full scale pilots and growing up on a lake in Minnesota, my neighbor and best friend's dad had a Cessna 185 on floats. We used to take day trips into Canada with an inflatable strapped between the floats and then plop down on some random lake and fish until we decided to go home.

I used to fly us all the way there and Pete(the owner) would do the take off and landing. I could navigate, keep the plane on course, fly coordinated turns, etc. I never did any stalls though...it was scary enough when he did them.

I quickly realized that I could probably never afford to fly on my own, especially the way I wanted to fly (aerobatics, etc.) so 25 years later, RC seemed like the thing to do. For me electric and ARF planes have been the reason I can fly. I have no interest in building kits and I personally like the power and convenience of electrics. I've got a range or planes from micro to 1/5th scale, all running on electricity and it allows me to do the type of flying I've always wanted to do, enjoy the science of flying, and do it close to home and on my own terms.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Adam Savage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was fascinated by airplanes even as a toddler, with my parents taking me to Hobby Airport in Houston to watch prop driven airliners take off and land. Soon jet airliners began appearing at Hobby field as well. I had many airplane related toys as a child, and in the 4th grade, I bulit my first stick and tissue model, a Guillow's Lancer. I continued building stick and tissue models all the way through high school, and got into control line flying in the 7th grade, my first airframe being a sheet balsa Sterling Shoestring with a BabeBee Cox .049. Within a year after soloing, I had a Midwest Magican 35 with a Testor's McCoy .35 on it, both kit and engine bought for $19.99, a hefty sum in 1970. U/C Stunt and combat would follow, until I soloed in R/C in 1977. I have flown just about everything there is except helis and pylon racers, and I have been enjoying this life long passion ever since. I have never become bored with it.
    Representative of<br>
    GCBM R/C Enterprises

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As a kid my Grandmother used to treat me to a toy at the local drug store in the summer time. They had THE best rubber band balsa plane ever made (came in box, not a plastic bag) with sturdy landing gear. I would spend endless summer hours just winding that thing up and launching it into the wind. I would play with the wing position/vertical stab to attempt maximum flight time and would time my flights (I believe 68 seconds with this model is still a world record...... in my back yard of course). I'm telling you it was the best $1.39 I ever spent (over and over) in the early 70's . If they were out of the rubber band model then the glider did just fine too.

Naturally, this lead to an obsession with bigger models and thus the reason I am on this web site. I kit build (some ARFs too) and mostly fly 40 size nitro sport/float planes. I find building an excellent stress relief therapy for me (and the wife) and always have some type of build in the winter waiting for spring flight. I love to work with my hands and enjoy the problem solving/creativity that kit building provides. It is strange I sometimes find myself awake in bed at 2:00 a.m. trying to figure out how to solve a problem or what steps to take to complete a particular build. To me, this takes away from the other obvious stresses in life and that is o.k. with me.

As an adult, re kindling those carefree childhood summer days are hard to come by, but building and flying take me back as close as possible to those days of the rubber band balsa planes.

Cheers..Hutch...
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #25

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm new to this addictive hobby and already totally hooked. I have several planes, a 72 mhz and a 2.4ghz transmitter, a few receivers for each, a plane on my drawing board and most of it's components in hand ready to start cutting materials.  I am involved in a couple of local clubs where I have met old and new friends, all of which are very helpful to my needs and totally dedicated to RC flying.

I never have had a hobby but already know this is made to order for me even though all my flying has been on my simulator so far as I wait for dry weather to take my first flight, and looking forward to having some of my friends at my side as I launch my first few flights of this completely captivating hobby.

I love this forum also and have learned much from all of you and have also tossed in some hopefully helpful items for others.

AltaTed
    Minds are like parachutes, they only work when opened.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I enjoyed your comments on the forum and they reflect my choices for flying RC's also. I'm a obsloete and retird engineer and love design so I can't resist designing and attempting to build my own plane even without any flying experiance at all. I have 2 ARF electrics and think this will be the futur in RC flying and have little interest going to any other form of power for these or going into larger planes either. I retire out of the electric motor industry also so thats in my blood.

We also had a heard of alpacas for over 15 years that completely involved ever spare minute I had. We recently sold the last of the herd, most of the land, butstill have 5 acres for ourselves.Too many wing grabbers everywhere to fly here at home.

As a kid a friends dad had a 2 seater plane and frequently took me up and allowed me to do the flying once off the ground up to landing. As an adult I had a number of planes including a Westwind and a Gulfstream but these all required 2 up front to fly me places and all I could do is watch in awe. From now on it's all up to me,this being my first hobby other than computers which to now has been my only addiction.

Happy flying
    Minds are like parachutes, they only work when opened.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'm just in it for the chicks
    Duh!!!!Β*

Ken
    Hey RCKen, I see MinnFlyer has two women to your one. I guess age does matter; Old Age!

big dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[X(] As a Kid (1969) Laredo Texas Was a Hotbed of Aeronautics... Laredo AFB Was Alive and Kicking! I saw Thunderbirds Fly over My house At Treetop height Inverted at 600MPH The Rules were very Lax in those years ..(We were Lucky) F86, F100's, F4 Phantoms, F105's T38's We saw them all!!! during my childhood... We Lived Close to the base and Every Other year We would go(Airshow Time) .. Sit in the simulators, Talk to the Pilots,... And Also My dad had a Christmas job at a store(Western Auto) that Sold Balsa Kits, engines, Cox Kits Controlled line.. You get the picture so when I finally could afford my first RC Model(20 years later) ....All My childhood memories came back.. and never left..... It keeps you young even though your not so young anymore im 51 now ..... My Mentor John Valls in his eighties and still building and designing Wow [&:].... Just my View.. Nachman ..AMA 677677..... Laredo Texas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got into this hobby after I saw the show Radio Control Hobbies. So Chris Chianelli is the one who got me into this hobby If I saw it a week earlier I would be hooked on boats instead of planes. I got into helis about 6 months later and I have folown them ever since.

If you have RC as a hobby and you are ever bored than it is YOUR OWN FAULT
    AMA# 964821

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oddly enough, I'm not actually a plane buff re real aircraft. What I love about them is the engineering and design aspects of them and their overall grace when flying (as a rule), the 'WOW I love planes' things has never been me really.
    I started with Rc aircraft 2 years ago with a small 6ch electric 'RTF' 450 sized heli as again, I love the simplicity in their complexity, and the accuracy required to set it up well, as well as the process and subsequent personal reward from flying it.
    From there I got a 50 nitro heli, and a 60 powered trainer plank, as again I love the learning process that model flying offers, and the fact I cannot see that process ending.
    The heli I have for the shear precision that is required from it and what that aspect offers me, and the plank for the relaxation and enjoyment I get from just flying it - ie, I get both sides of this model aircraft flying 'coin' from those two aircraft.
    Raptor 50 Nitro heli - OS50 Hyper
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i was exposed to rc planes since birth, so its in my blood so to speak... i still do it now as an adult because its my way of relieving the stress of real life issues, and enjoy the camaraderie that comes with it.
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Age 12,  Boys Life mag.   had a Sig Model Airplane catalog for sale.  That was it, I was hooked.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For me it was the mid 60's at Fort Lee Virginia for Open House Day. A RC club from Richmond Virginia put on a show. As a 12 year old kid, I was hook!!! Then the fight was between free flight, control line and model rockets. Then came 1973 at Fort Hood Texas, I join the Cen Tex Model Master club and never look back. Yes I love this hobby and will stay untill the day I die. Plus on top of that, I have log over 3500 hours in full scale planes. So you see have the best of both world.

Sonny
    aka
    jet22b
    Spitfire Brotherhood #12
    P-40 Brotherhood #52

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rc aviation for me because it's so much harder than full scale. When I started rc planes over 20 years ago it was hard, but not so fun the last 15 years. I mostly teach youngsters how to fly free of charge these days.
    The more I know human beings the more I like animals.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As a kid back in the '50's if was fasinated with the airplanes flying overhead and always wanted to learn to fly...which I did get my licinse later in life when money wasn't a problem. Got hooked on models when I first saw a young man flying a U controled plane....after watching him for a day or so I was completely hooked...1st plane was a U control Ringmaster Jr. with a McCoy 15 on the front...flew it for the next couple of years and then moved up to a larger P 47 with a McCoy 35 up front...that lasted until I went into the service at which time the model airplanes went on hold for the next 15 years...By that time in life I had my own electrical contracting business and one of my employees saw a RC airplane in a yard sale and told me it's just what I needed...well, evidently it was what I needed. Bought it, and was hooked again. The plane was a Sig Skybolt with a Fox red head 74 up front...Needless to say while getting it ready for flight I subscribed to a RC magazine and it time found out that this plane was not for a beginner...So I found Tower Hobbies and bought a Craft Air Butterfly and an OS max15....living in farm country with the nearest big town 35 miles away needless to say this was going to be a self learning program..Which it was over the next two years, with many crashes and repairs. 2 Butterfly Kits, later I finaaly got the hang of it and then moved up to an Ace 4-60 which I owned for better than 20 years..wore out two engines on it and recovered it twice...Now I get great pleasure helping out others just starting out that need help and advice, but I still get my most enjoyment out of the building and flying planes in this great hobby... I fly small electrics (8 ounce foamy)all the way up through (17 pound) 50cc gassers...

Always try to land with the canopy side up...leaves alot less debris on the flying field...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day Aeronuts.

Back in the mid 1950s, a group of characters used to fly control line on a park near where I lived. From time to time my dad would take me to have a look. I was fascinated. Not long after I saw a row of model engines (probably small diesels) in a hobby shop and again I was fascinated. Then when I joined Scouts, my Patrol Leader invited me to go to his control line club. I did and have never looked back.

So why do I like model aviation? Several reasons.

1. I like to tinker and build things.
    2. I love the sound of aircraft engines.
    3. I just love ALL model engines.

I think it is #3 that is my real passion. I like building planes, but I build them so I can fly my engines.

I am not a collector though I have about 40 engines, I just like to run them, fly them and listen to them. It is also great fun to sort out problems for myself and others too.

Most of my engines are four strokes but the one below is my most recent purchase. It is a tribute to its maker. A real champion engine. (Jett SJ-46)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38117.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	1553233  
    \"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You guys are killin me! If they didn't pay those girls.....

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'm just in it for the chicks
    Duh!!!!Β*

Ken
    Michael Kranitz

www.RCFlightDeck.com
    www.RCCarCal.com
    Who's Flying Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)
    Who's Racing Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I grew up in Dayton, Ohio and loved the Wright Patterson AFB. I was building plastic models at age 7 and saw neighborhood boys flying a Cox PT-19 in my cul-de-sac. I flew control line until my mom and dad got me a Falcon 56 for my 14th birthday. I bought a used Kraft at an auction for 62 dollars and foolishly went by myself to the flying field, took off with nobody helping and lost the plane in a bean field. 6 months of building down the tubes. But I was so far in by then there was no killing the RC virus.

So infected was I that I started RCAirport.com in 2001 and merged with Marc V in 2003 to create what is today's RCU. How is that for being clinically insane for the hobby?

I love the hobby because it brings endless challenges and rewards to your mind while stimulating the reward center of the brain every time the UPS truck pulls up. WOOF!
    Michael Kranitz

www.RCFlightDeck.com
    www.RCCarCal.com
    Who's Flying Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)
    Who's Racing Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

You guys are killin me! If they didn't pay those girls.....
    I can assure you somebody paid them, it may have not been much, but their check was certainly in the mail.

Welcome to America.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I suppose that if I were to sell all my stuff I could afford a light sport challenger and a rotax...boring!
    I agree with everything in your post (very similar experiences) except for this quoted statement.. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be boring ..and the view/adrenalin rush would be awesome!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bass1

I suppose that if I were to sell all my stuff I could afford a light sport challenger and a rotax...boring!
    I love reading NTSB reports. Please give me more, I'm a death addict thanks to the FAA.

Feed me, feed me...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

my story is similar too many.It started when I was a young child.the local airport was only a few miles from the house and everyday planes were flying over and no matter what I was doing I stopped and stared at them.My late dad loved aviation and established a ucontrol club at our YMCA.I was deftly afraid of the motors for a longtime but eventually my dad convinced me it was safe.I went with him to contests in the upstate ny area.I still have a few of his planes a testors 29 and several other planes including a debolt livewire ..I keep them in my shop as a way to remember my dad ..just before he passed away several years back he presented me with a box full of uc motors and I will never part with them.

from those experiences I started flying lessons in high school on a cessena 150.college came along and I syopped figuring someday Iwould pick it up.then in 1971 I got married and stumbled upon a rc field and started again this time rc and stopped in 1994 whe I was diagonosed with type2 diabetes.having suffered a midair I figured my rc days were over but 9 years later my optimalogist and I were talking about the hobby and he asked dont you need longe range vision to see them? yeah of course.well your vision at long range is perfect so why are you flying?

I started back and havent looked back since.I recently discovered I love scale building.I also fly electrics as well as small gassers.I love the hobby as much as ever .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast