Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A sad day in our Aviation history

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A sad day in our Aviation history

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
LargeScale88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A sad day in our Aviation history

Thoughts and prayers to all families who lost someone.

Jason

Old 01-28-2011, 04:43 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

High performance aviation is a dangerous undertaking. We may forget that from time to time but the pilots and crews remember.

I salute their courage.

Tom
Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

I was on active duty with the USAF stationed at MAFB in Valdosta, GA. We were watching the launch in the Emergency room and everybody just stop what we were doing in panic.
It is just the price we pay for being #1 in the World of Aviation
Old 01-28-2011, 05:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I was in college and had a break between classes, so I went back to my room to chill out and watch some TV. Turned on the tube and found the launch to watch. I had made it a point to watch every launch up to that point, but had forgotten that it was that day. So I was excited that I found it and that I could watch it. I watched it happen and sat there with my jaw on the floor for at least an hour!!

When the Columbia happened I remember that as well. It was a Saturday morning and I had just sat down at my building board and was going to work on a plane. Buddy across the street called me and said come outside. Went out and we could see the shuttle breaking up from here in southern Oklahoma. I said "what is that"? He said we just lost another one, it's the shuttle Columbia. I thought we was BS'ing me. Came back inside and once again sat here with my jaw on the floor.

Both sad days and I won't soon forget either of them.

Ken
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember watching the TV videos when the parts of the Columbia were entering the atmosphere and burning up over Texas. I was absolutely astounded and very saddened with that incident. Then, the Challenger experiences flashed back. Terrible is all I can say.

Then there was the search for what was left after parts of Columbia fell to the ground. It was not a very pleasant series of news events.

CGr.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like RCKen, I was also in college and a shuttle launch follower. Unlike Ken, I wasn't on a break between classes, but was skipping my physics (irony?) class to watch the launch. I too sat for quite awhile just trying to absorb what I just saw. A sad day indeed. Best wishes and prayers for the families that remain.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Stik-n-Rdr

I'll never forget that morning. I was active duty at MAFB (March Air Force Base) in California and learned of it between 9 and 10am. I was working in the Production Control Duty office and one of our airmen from the pluming shop told me what happened. I could tell something major happened just from the look on the face of this normally happy go lucky guy. Even though I'm from the area and had seen the very first launch while in high school, I can tell you that everyone felt the same misery I did.

I work at the KSC, only a few miles from the shuttle pads, and to this day have recurring nightmares of shuttles exploding during liftoff. Those astronauts are much braver than I am.

The Columbia disaster was much subtler for me. I was expecting to be woken by the sonic booms as it flew overhead on landing, but instead got a phone call from a co-worker who I'd partied with the night before alerting me of what happened.

Good bless the folks brave, and smart enough to stretch the limits of our knowledge.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Never Enough Toys
My Feedback: (11)

I remember I was North Carolina in middle school in the basement for social studies.We got to watch the launch on TV live and the teacher was at his desk grading papers.While we were all fascinated watching it happened.The room fell silent and the teacher had no idea what had happened.We started screaming "It blew up!".The teacher finally came over to realize what we had seen just jaw dropped.We spent the rest of the day watching the news coverage wanting to know what happened to cause this.A very dark day indeed considering all through elementry school I got to see many launch trails in the sky from the school.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

President Reagan's speech afterward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa7icmqgsow

Regardless of one's political leanings, he had the gift of knowing just how to say something.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:32 PM
scubajohn

it was a sad day indeed

Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

I still remember that day all to well. Like 9-11 its burned in the memory forever.
I was about 60 miles from the launch site and I remember how cold it was that morning in central Florida, below freezing. A bunch of us went outside and watched and then stood in disbelief as some very brave Americans persished right in front of us.
We then went inside and found a TV and again stood silent and in disbelief as the news channel recounted it over and over.
A very sad day.
God bless them all.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:46 AM
IFR Pilot

I was in the 4th grade when this happened. The teacher was like, ok students we going to the library to watch the shuttle takeoff. I was like damn, we gonna have a break from history class, cool. Then about 25 minutes later it wasn't so cool. I saw it live.

Today, people ask me, Moms Mistake why don't you go to church.

Go figure...
Old 01-29-2011, 03:19 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Also in memory of February 1, 2003:

I was out in the pasture of a Level 3 site near Linden Texas when Iheard what would usually be thought of the typical country deer hunter with a3030 popping off a shot(out of season of course) but in my mind it was much more thunderous and sounded like an old war canon or adistant fireworks burst. It didn't exactly register with me for a minute but then Isaw the smoke trail and the dual path of the two booster rockets expending their fuel and I knew something was wrong. It’s always so quiet out there being so far from most civilization other thanthe far sounds of a dove or alumber truck on the ruralroad, there are no sounds to interrupt ones day. It didn't register that it was the Columbia at first. Ithought it might have been an airliner or maybesome aircraft. Iknewit wasn't good!

Isat in awe as I watched the movement of the grayish white path and then Iturned on the radio. It seemed like hours that Isat there and watched the sky for what Iwas hoping would be the cabin's parachute.I actually sat on the tail gate and listened for any sounds of debris thinking maybe this will be of help or even it would be a pilot shouting out. Alas, something in my mind told me no matter what protective measures NASA built into that rocket, there was no way in hell anyone could have survived the massive cloud of smoke and rubble that was zooming through the sky. In the back of my mind, Ihad hope and prayer but it was just too horrible of a sight to not understand whatever blew up was huge and one doesn't build a cockpit that could withstand that big of an explosion. It was a silent, depressive drive back to Wylie that day.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but Ican tell you, blessed as those fine astronauts were to be part of the space program, they couldn't have suffered long. That was one HUGE explosion. Bless their families. They must know their loved ones died in pursuit of their dream. One would only hope their own death could happen in their endeavor of their own career.
If it’s any consolation to their families, those pilots are spread out over the most blessed and beautiful part of Texas.It’s so serene and peaceful out there in comparison to the big city or to the barren land of West Texas.We call that part of this State “God’s Country” out there here in Texas because it’s so bountiful with vegetation and gorgeous tall pines.Truly, those fine aviators are where God is watching over them.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:35 AM
BillyGoat

OP, thanks for posting this reminder.

I missed the actual launch but turned on the TV just a split second after the accident. So the first image I see is the various plumes in the sky wondering what the heck, with the TV commentator saying their is an apparent malfunction.

Anybody traveling to the Big Island of Hawaii via Kona, I suggest a visit to the Ellison Onizuka space center located at the Kona airport.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM
AA5BY

Our deepest respects for all those, their families and friends who have gave the ultimate effort in worthy causes.