Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

would this be too advanced for a first time flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

would this be too advanced for a first time flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Mishkam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would this be too advanced for a first time flyer?

Remembering ive never flown anything past a paper airplane :P

www.bananahobby.com/1858.html
Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Mr. Canadian

Default RE: would this be too advanced for a first time flyer?

that plane would be wayyy too advanced for someone whose never flown before
Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Mishkam

i figured as much... I'll stick with the brushless trainer and maybe after some logged hours pick that one up.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
AltaTed

Not this plane for a beginner.  Find a good high wing trainer and I personally would get an electric powered one. Thats where I have gone and glad I did.  You should pick a high wing trainer. The plane you selected is for advanced flyers only. 

Also I suggest gettinga 2.4 Gig system to start. Don't go 72 even though it's less expensive.  I just said something about this on another thread so I'll repeat it again for you here.

Something I have not seen discussed in these great discussions about transmitters and receivers is antennas and differences between 72 and 2.4 units beginners need to be aware of before buying their first equipment.

72 transmitters must use a 3 ft. long antenna that sticks out the top of your transmitter.

The 72 receiver needs a 3 ft long skinny wire antenna that ideally should be allowed to dangle outside the plane.

The more expensive 2.4 systems transmitters only need a stubby little antenna about 4 inches high out the top of the transmitter and the planes receiver has a little one inch antenna wire thats simple to locate inside the plane. No wire to dangle outside.

I never realized this or even thought about it until I got my first 72 set. I sure wish I had known this to begin with as I would gladly have invested in 2.4 to start.  Now I'm trying to determine how many channels on my new 2.4 system so I can truly spend money wisely and get the best value rather than the cheapest system. The number of channels can also make or break my choice for use in the future.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Before you buy anything from that company do a search here on R/C Universe. That said as you have been advised the model in question isn't suited to a beginner. Visit your local club and seek advise.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Mishkam

wasnt really thinking of buying from that particular site.. it just had a good set of pics/vids on the plane.

I am already looking at the Select Piper Cub highwing Brushless trainer w/2.4 gig transmitter.

so like I said after learning for a couple months I can pick up somethin ARF and put my electronics in it.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 AM
goirish

I fly one like this and it can be a handful. Look long at Banana hobby, lots of posts talking about them. I have never purchased anything from them so I can't say first hand. I trust the folks that have had dealings with them, so I stayed away. Just my 2c
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to sound harsh, but this really isn't a second plane either. As Goirish has stated, a Pitts can be a bit of a handfull to fly. You might want to get a few planes under your belt before you fly one.

Ken
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Mishkam

I'll see how I handle the trainer.

All ive ever had to worry about with my RC before was 2 channels... I'm sure adding 2 more is going to be a much bigger step than I'm realizing.

of course I can get the foam Pitt ARF for under 100. Worst I can do is crash it right?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
AltaTed

I agree on Banana. I did get my first from them and it will be the last from them.

Enough said...
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Mishkam

well someone other Banana has to sell a Styro Pitts Biplane ARF right?

they cant own the market.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Mishkam

I'll see how I handle the trainer.

All ive ever had to worry about with my RC before was 2 channels... I'm sure adding 2 more is going to be a much bigger step than I'm realizing.

of course I can get the foam Pitt ARF for under 100. Worst I can do is crash it right?

No, the worst is not that you crash it, but that you cause injury to yourself or others, or damage something expensive. It's not just about your airplane.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Mishkam

I guess I was assuming that you wouldn't think me stupid enough to fly a plane ive not flown before around other people.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't assume anything on RCU!! The problem with a pitts isn't so much the flying of the plane as it is getting off the ground and back. Then again they do tend to be a bit twitchy, like you can see if your hands are shaking when you are flying. The little electrics can be a hand full but I find them easier to fly then the 1/4 scale gasser. If you search you will find several places to buy the little electric ARF.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

There are lots of good starters. The Multiplex Easystar is an excellant starter. Here is one you can get as a kit. You can supply your own electronics if you want.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFRU7&P=0

OR you can get it in a RTF ( ready to fly) here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFXV0&P=0

There are many more. Do a search. You will also get alot of suggestions on the forums.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Flybri89

Im fairly new to electric airplanes one thing I have found out is I would NOT recomend buying anything from Nitro Planes, Banana Hobby. xenon Project or Xheli. These company's are all connected and out of  the exact same area in So.Cal. They all sell the same cheap stuff from China just different names HC Hobby, ArtTech for example are all the same company. Im sure alot of you know this already but like I said im just finding this out and find it disturbing. Customer service is terrible because half the time these so called companys are run out of someones house. I know someone who has been trying to call Banana Hobby for two weeks so he called one night at 9pm after reading another thread on this and sure enough someone answered...hello... oh you must have the wrong number ***? Oh I guess that phone number is only BH'S during the day. I know it's tempting with the cheap prices but there's a reason..... it's cheap crap and they get it for next to nothing and pass it on to us dummy's for buying it.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Flybri89

Actually they do...... certain company's are exclusive to BH also Nitro Planes, Xenon Project they're all the same. Recomendation? DONT BUY!!!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM
hairy46

This is not a trainer! Find a club where they fly and ask questions, I really like teaching with the Tower Hobbies trainer, Good luck with this great hobby!
Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 PM
PONYBOY082662

Having been in your shoes only a few years ago......I would suggest a great planes simulator. IMO it was the best money i have ever spent as far as the rc hobby. I always wanted to learn to fly and years earlier had tried the "buy a plane..teach yourself to fly route" It doesnt work. [&o] One day i stopped by the LHS to daydream a little and discovered the simulator...bought one and 2 months later i bought a nexstar select and flew solo the next day. Either way you cant go wrong with the simulator...it is a great way to brush up and i can fly when the weather is bad. Good luck
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
hairy46

Yes once you get the bug to fly it never ever goes away, Great job learning ponyboy!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 PM
PONYBOY082662

Thanx Hairy, your so right... This Hobby is Great...and i love it ! It does take a toll if your not careful, its not a cheap hobby. It takes no prisoners and none of are gettin out alive financially...lol Kidding aside...i wouldnt go back for anything. I have made some great buddies at the club field. One buddy inparticular many of you may know is Doc Yates, accomplished flier, top gun contestant, and all around good example for this hobby. He has spent his time, money, and lots of effort helping me enjoy flying. People like him are the reason this hobby is so great. I have spent untold thousands on this hobby but wouldnt take it back.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:19 AM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

First DON'T BUY BANANA HOBBY. Trust me you will spend more time on the ground than flying. Second I also recommend spending the money in a flight simulator. Third you want to enjoy the hobby and you really want to do some flying. So speak with some members of your local flight club and see what they fly and what they recommend. I also recommend flying with an instructor so he can teach you all the AMA regulations.

Good Luck,
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Mishkam

I appreciate the suggestions... I've been hearing "Join a club" from a lot of people.

but even with RC Cars both way back when I used to have a couple (25 years ago) and when i got back into it (little under 2 years ago)  Taking my RC's out is "Me Time". 

I dont want people crowding around me asking questions... seeing me wipe out.  Asking to try it.  I want to be left alone to  tweak, tune and, at time, trash my cars, trucks and buggies.

I'm going to start the same way with airplanes.  I don't have any interest in getting a group together and drawing a crowd.
I attend enough meetings at work, don't need them in my hobbies.  

its going to be several battery charges before I ever take the thing off the ground.  Several more before I get it higher than waist high doing touch and gos.. then simple turns.  and I don't want people around when I do it.

Clubs are just not for me.  Never have been.

I have been looking into flight simulators and Ive seen that some of the trainers even come with simple ones. 
It being the middle of winter and one of our wettest winters in decades.. I'm probably going to finish the winter on a simulator and actually start with a trainer in the spring.

Right now I'm looking at the Select Brushless Piper Cub.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 AM
ATVAlliance

I was like you at one time...and still am as far as the club thing goes.  I dont like to be involved in clubs as their is usually just a bunch of extra crap to have to put up with to be a part of it.  However, my mind changed when it came to learning to fly.  Plus, once I actually joined the club Im in now its nothing like what I expected and actually like it more than doing it alone.

That aside...you at the very least should join one for the first year just so you can learn from someone.  Not really the flying part...I mean the flying part is the easy part...you will find this out once you get your SIM.  What I am talking about is learning the actual theory of flight and the setup of an airplane.  You can fly great and if you dont understand that you simply dont put a bunch of stuff together, hook servos, engine, batteries to it and fly it...then you will crash and fail.

All the planes on the SIM are trimmed and fly perfectly for the most part.  You dont have to understand control throws...CG (center of gravity)...control surface trimming, among other things that makes flying actually enjoyable rather that a huge money pit.

Perhaps if you still feel the way you do about clubs after reading this...you could possibly seek one or two out and see if any veteran flyers would be interested in training you 1 on 1, or even "for hire".  Even if you had to pay 20 to 50 bucks per lesson it would be money well spent.  Because without learning the technical side of setting up your airplanes...you will definitely spend a lot in crash costs.

Also...dont even think about learning to fly at "waist level".  Altitude is definitely your friend when learning.

Just my .02's

Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mishkam

I appreciate the suggestions... I've been hearing ''Join a club'' from a lot of people.

but even with RC Cars both way back when I used to have a couple (25 years ago) and when i got back into it (little under 2 years ago) Taking my RC's out is ''Me Time''.

I dont want people crowding around me asking questions... seeing me wipe out. Asking to try it. I want to be left alone to tweak, tune and, at time, trash my cars, trucks and buggies.

I'm going to start the same way with airplanes. I don't have any interest in getting a group together and drawing a crowd.
I attend enough meetings at work, don't need them in my hobbies.

its going to be several battery charges before I ever take the thing off the ground. Several more before I get it higher than waist high doing touch and gos.. then simple turns. and I don't want people around when I do it.

Clubs are just not for me. Never have been.

I have been looking into flight simulators and Ive seen that some of the trainers even come with simple ones.
It being the middle of winter and one of our wettest winters in decades.. I'm probably going to finish the winter on a simulator and actually start with a trainer in the spring.

Right now I'm looking at the Select Brushless Piper Cub.

I just got a "slow stick" for my grandson. It looks like a great place to start. I purchased my on e-bay for $12 (plus shipping and handling). Still need servos (2) battery (at least one), charger, transmitter and receiver (but I have all that stuff).

I think the regular pirce is $35. They have replacement parts available. You can find information and see videos if you google "slow stick". Since it flys slowly, it crashes slowly, and If I have to buy anotherone for parts, it is only$35 tops:-)

I wish you good luck. Remember, altitude is your friend. If you can get help, you will learn much faster.

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.