Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst Nitro Engine Powered RC Airplanes for Beginners in the Market

Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best and Worst Nitro Engine Powered RC Airplanes for Beginners in the Market

Old 03-13-2011, 09:13 AM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Best and Worst Nitro Engine Powered RC Airplanes for Beginners in the Market

I have found the Butterfly Arising Star to be a very good BARF trainer. Very easy building; they even grind the flat part on the nose gear.

If a person must teach themselves, no substitute for the Balsa USA Stik 40 Plus. Fuselage is made of 2 basswood crutches and a plywood box with a built up wing. But not too heavy and a pretty decent stable flyer good for beginners. And a very easy build.

See it here http://www.balsausa.com/store/product.php?id_product=53

Since you are anticipating some RUDs, there is a low weight reinforcement of the wing. Thin out some slow epoxy with 1/3 rubbing alcohol. Then use this to apply some light silkspan over balsa sheeting on the wing.

Closest you will find to a plane that will bounce instead of break. If it does break, very easy to repair.

Tom
Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 PM
WI53072

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Best and Worst Nitro Engine Powered RC Airplanes for Beginners in the Market

I vote for the Kadet Senior being a great trainer. When you master take offs landing etc, you can convert it to a taildragger and practice some more. Nice flying plane.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:33 PM
2left_thumbs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm going to throw in another vote on the Goldberg Eagle 2, the big downside to it being you can't get it in ARF form anymore. I built one from a kit at 16, had one instructor aided flight where he set up the trim (it needed virtually none), handed me the controls, and I flew it around in circles until it ran out of fuel and I handed the box back so he could land it. We fueled it up, did startup, and he handed me the box and said "Take off, you'll be fine." I did the takeoff, flew it for a few minutes, and the instructor told me to throttle back and bring it in for a landing. Thus concluded my first solo flight, the instructor packed up and left, and I've been flying successfully for the last 20 years.

I have flown other trainers including the tower .40, the kadet senior, the kadet mkII, some godawful little .25 no name arf that I intentionally pancaked so that nobody else would have the misfortune to wallow it through the air, and various others. Bottom line, nothing I have ever flown has been as rock solid and confidence inspiring as the Eagle. I am debating buying another kit, and building it just for those lazy floater days, and to teach my kids and any other students on.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:24 PM
acdii

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wait, an LT40 can get into a Spin?  Dang, what am I doing wrong!    If an LT40 flies bad, it wasnt built right, simple as that. As Highplanes said, it can have a dual personality. Go even further and take most of the Dihedral out of the wing and it is even more aggressive, yet maintains its trainer qualities.  My friend who has been flying RC for 30 years, and has warbirds, bipes and others likes to fly my LT40.    With an OS 52 FS and 11X7 APC, it flies great.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:55 AM
koastrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have tired to read all the comments. I would say that feeling about trainers is pretty universal. The Nexstar is loved or hated. I don't care for the concept of the Nexstar. That is me. I do like the list of others. I will agree all the SIG stuff is pretty good. Just about all of the trainers are fair to good. A few fly great, but don't hold up very well. Many of you agree with me that the plane, radio, and engine combo is very important. Most of you agree that the best way to go is a instructor. This subject like most in the beginners section has been very good. Even a know it all like me seems to learn something worth while every time I visit.
Main thing with learning like flying. Try not to hit the big ball to hard.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The key part to the OP was the AFS. I always ALWAYS!!!! disconect this. I have never seen it act properly. While I am not a big fan of Nexstars. They are not too bad. I will say I much perfer electric for beginers as it seems to be easier to teach flight alone on these and then teach engines on later airframes but I learned on a glow trainer. It is a taste thing. If a student shows up I will teach on what he has if he has nada I will teach on my trainer which is a tower glow trainer.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:31 PM
CrashedTrainer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For beginners
NUMBER 1: use Computer simulators!!! you can crash again and again until you get it right
NUMBER 2: join a good club

I never had an instructor. Only monetary investment i made in learning was a USB dongle which would connect to my Hitec Tx and getting a membership of a good club. The simulator helped me polish basic skills such as direction reversal etc. While joining the club helped me in learning from fellow more experienced fliers and even getting occasional help from them.

I did crash my trainer once (locally made with 46AX OS engine) hence the username Crashed Trainer. But rebuilding it on my own and seeing it back in the air was one of my most rewarding feeling while in this hobby so far...

Regards,
CrashedTrainer