Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Wrice4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plane?

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask y'all what second plane I should get? I learned on my hobby zone champ and just sold my micro t-28 Trojan. I want something bigger I can fly in more wind, but something cheap. My buddy brought over his hobby zone firebird stratos today and it flew well and impressed me for a rtf for $130. I don't want to spend more than $150 on a bigger plane like that. Do you think my best bet would be to get me a stratos or do you have a different plane in mind? I would like to go high and faster.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Second plane?

Stick
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wrice4

Hello everyone, I wanted to ask y'all what second plane I should get? I learned on my hobby zone champ and just sold my micro t-28 Trojan. I want something bigger I can fly in more wind, but something cheap. My buddy brought over his hobby zone firebird stratos today and it flew well and impressed me for a rtf for $130. I don't want to spend more than $150 on a bigger plane like that. Do you think my best bet would be to get me a stratos or do you have a different plane in mind? I would like to go high and faster.

Thanks

Well, I don't know anything about the Sratos, but I do know about the Tiger series from Goldberg... now Great Planes I believe. That was my second plane.. the Tiger 60. But, this is not an RTF, it's an ARF and you will need an engine (glow power) or electrify it - which could get somewhat costly.

But, you asked, and my suggestion would be something like the Tiger or perhaps a Four Star 40, or the Tiger 60 depending on how large you want to get. Both are glow, but could be converted.

Tiger 60
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF9&P=7

Four Star 40
http://www.sigmfg.com/IndexText/SIGRC44.html

CGr.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Wrice4

What is a stick?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 AM
carrellh

What is a stick?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ck-arf-EFL2250
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM
carrellh

The mini ultra stick fits the criteria for handling wind and being more capable but not the 150 dollar target budget in the first post.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Wrice4

ORIGINAL: carrellh

The mini ultra stick fits the criteria for handling wind and being more capable but not the 150 dollar target budget in the first post.
looks like it is on sale for $120. What is so good about this stick?

Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM
carrellh

It is a very aerobatic model. It can fly fast or slow. I do not know all of the reasons why but it tolerates wind very well.
The Firebird is ready to fly for the price. The ultra stick is not.
You will need, but may already have
Brushless Motor
Brushless ESC
4+ Ch Radio
4 Sub-micro Servos
Servo Extensions & Y-harness
4 to 6-Ch Receiver
Li-Po Battery
Li-Po Charger
CA glue
Propeller
Old 11-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Wrice4

Oh ok well I can't afford all that. Thank you. Truth is I just bought a mini chopper and a go kart engine and looking for a frame. I just don't wanna spend too much because I only fly like once every two weeks so I just need something basic. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I might just stick with the stratos because its an RTF and I have had a good review from it since my buddy flew his at ,y house yesterday.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Wrice
I can thouroughly reccomend the Bizler 2 its cheap, five chanel if you use the optional flaps which are great fun, and It will teach you a lot about programming radios. Flaperons crow brakes etc
www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp

Here is some video of mine flying

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XufSWIlfBgE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75rZBrhzec[/youtube]

Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Something based on the Ugly Stick
Old 11-04-2012, 06:20 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ok well I can't afford all that. Thank you. Truth is I just bought a mini chopper and a go kart engine and looking for a frame. I just don't wanna spend too much because I only fly like once every two weeks so I just need something basic. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I might just stick with the stratos because its an RTF and I have had a good review from it since my buddy flew his at ,y house yesterday.
This sounds like the best idea.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Look here:

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes.html?limit=all

they also have stick .25 .40 and .60 size - these are good planes.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 PM
DenverJayhawk

great planes Big Stik 60.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Seems that you have only been flying smaller electrics bought RTF with their own transmitter, battery and small charger. If so you are not set-up yet to move over to move advanced electrics (like the mini-ultra stick) or even nitro planes as it requires more support equipment and a better transmitter. Things that will cost well over $150.00 on their own.
I agree that you answered your own question in selecting the Stratos. I have seen them fly and it's a good plane for the price.
Looking forward you might want to think about getting the equipment required to move into more advanced electric and/or nitro planes.
I agree with having a "stick" in your hangar as it makes a great second plane and is something you will never grow tired of. It can teach you more advanced maneuvers but also be a gentle plane to fly and land.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Wrice4

Thank you everyone for the support! Idid end up getting the Stratos and it fits my expectations perfect.

I was doing a bit of researching yesterday, and I have always heard good things about this plane, but what do you all think about the Hobbyzone Super Cub? It comes with a better transmitter and will allow me to upgrade the motor in the future. Even though it already has a powerful 480 motor in it for a beginner. See the Stratos only has two 180 motors, which is still less powerful than the Super Cub 480.

I love my Stratos, but I am kinda on the wall on selling it and buying a Super Cub because I have read they are more durable in wind, considering it is a slightly bigger plane, and they have more power and you can upgrade them in the future. Also the Super Cubmotor will allow you to go higher. Comments please and thank you.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40 AM
flyinwalenda

I did recommend the super cub for first timers until I and several others flew it with first time flyers at the field.
 I will not recommend it as a first time plane anymore. Your money is better spent on better planes in my opinion.
 If you want a more powerful foam airplane look at the Apprentice . It's a bit more money than the super cub but it's a lot more airplane out of the box
It handles windy days very well, is larger,more powerful, is 4 channel and makes a good aileron trainer, and is another plane that will stick with you for awhile.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Wrice4

Hey thanks for the posts replys, however, this is not my first time flying. I have had my hobbyzone Champ for about a year and I had a UM T-28 Trojan. I flew my Stratos yesterday and loved it. I am technically not a beginner, but have not been around long enough to fly a lot of different planes. The only reason I would get rid of my Stratos is to get a Super Cub. If that is not a good choice, then I will prob just keep my Stratos. What is your idea on that?Why dont you like the super cub? It is bigger and has more power than the Stratos. I originally said I did not want to spend over $150 and that is why I got the Stratos, but I am willing to spend $200 on the super cub, but NOMORE! Plus, the super cub comes with the DXE4 controller thanIcan BNF later on correct?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Wrice4

I think I have decided to just upgrade my two 180 motors to something bigger. Of course i will need to upgrades some internals as well. Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
flyinwalenda

You are sort of all over the map here. You just got the Stratos and now you want to sell it or try and make it more powerful. To make it more powerful is going to require more than just bigger motors. You will probably have to change the esc's too and spend more money doing so.
Keep it and fly it as it is but if you don't like it then sell it and get something else.  If you get the super cub I don't think you will be happy with that for very long either.
I gave you my recommendations via PM but that is going to cost a little more than you want to spend . Maybe save up and try and buy a good radio like a DX6 or 7 and then you can get  BNF planes from Parkzone .  Not sure what else to tell you at this point.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Wrice4

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

You are sort of all over the map here. You just got the Stratos and now you want to sell it or try and make it more powerful. To make it more powerful is going to require more than just bigger motors. You will probably have to change the esc's too and spend more money doing so.
Keep it and fly it as it is but if you don't like it then sell it and get something else. If you get the super cub I don't think you will be happy with that for very long either.
I gave you my recommendations via PM but that is going to cost a little more than you want to spend . Maybe save up and try and buy a good radio like a DX6 or 7 and then you can get BNF planes from Parkzone . Not sure what else to tell you at this point.
Flyinwalenda, I apologize for being all over the place. What i want is just a plane that i can fly now and later on upgarde, withouth having to buy another plane each time to get something more powerful. I want something that Ican keep for a long time and continiously upgrade. I was told that the Super Cub was that plane. I took your advice and greatly appreciate you helping me with the fast response times also. I dont mean to be hard to work with.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Seamus OLeprosy

I agree that Super Cub is not going to fulfil your requirements for long
Old 11-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Wrice4

I took the advice and ordered a T-28.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

While it seems you already took the plunge into something else:
Try CL for used deals.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tag/3382788277.html

Used saves you all kinds of money, if you can negotiate.

$150 budget is really hard to pull off on a new LARGER SIZE glow model or EP that gives you the characteristic of progressing as an RC pilot. I tried EP models (Stryker, T-28, GWS Slow Stick, mini Stick EP) and couldn't believe the negative difference from the glow flying models I'm accustomed to. A 60 size model can handle your windy Dallas weather.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 AM
flyinwalenda

Used is good way to go. 75% of my equipment is used. I have only bought two new planes and the rest were like new at half the cost. A lot of it was never used and the rest hardly used. You can get some good deals used and get almost everything you are after .
The transmitter like a DX6 or 7 would be a cost savings to buy used ...but be careful . Try the classified on here and other sites but deal with sellers who have good feedback and reputations and be careful how you pay.

The T28 is a good choice BUT try and find someone with more experience to take it up with you for the first time or two as this is a more powerful plane and you will now be introduced to ailerons and that can be quite a ride for the first time out and sometimes the ride ends badly. So take the time and let someone else set the plane up for you so the control surface throws are at the minimum settings and can take it up and trim it out and help you get used to flying a plane with ailerons. Once you get better with it you can set up dual rates for the controls and have a lot of fun with it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.