Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What plane should I get? Tired of foamies!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What plane should I get? Tired of foamies!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:20 PM
purcilas
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plane should I get? Tired of foamies!

Hello everybody!

I am new to this forum and "new" to the world of R/C Airplanes. I got a Hobbico FlyZone Piper Cub foamie which I've only been able to fly twice as it is always windy where I live and I've crashed it twice because of the wind too.

I understand that if I get a "nicer" plane I might be able to fly in these conditions without so many issues. I am only talking about 4-5mph not much more.

I was looking at the Nexstar 46 Select with AFS and while it seems to be the best option for me I am a bit upset that they haven't updated it with a 2.4Ghz Radio like the EP one and therefore I'm a bit hesitant to buy it.

Does anybody know a suitable choice that is as easy to fly (maybe even has afs) and has a 2.4Ghz Radio?

Also, any recommendations for anything "better" to learn how to fly?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
bjfrankl

Default RE: What plane should I get? Tired of foamies!

I would suggest the Hangar 9 Alpha 40. This plane is an excellent trainer and comes with a 2.4 ghz radio. I learned on the Tower 40 RTF, but I don't know if they make the Ready to Fly version anymore. The Tower 40 RTF came with an FM radio when I purchased it from Tower Hobbies.

I would also highly recommend that you find a local AMA sanctioned club and a trainer to assist you with flying a nitro plane. I would not recommend that you attempt to fly the plane on your own.

Bjfrankl
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Alpha has a good recommendation, and I'll add a similar plane in the Hobbico Avistar as a trainer. You will need a trainer and a proper runway to fly either plane.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

if you already know how do fly dont waste your time with a trainer, get a big stick .40 they handle wind much much better than trainers do. trainers arnt that much better in the wind..... in the air they are ok but landing and takeoff they are much more difficult and have a tendency to tip over......

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMM9&P=0
the plane is essentaily an aerobatic trainer, yet flies as easy as a trainer....should be exactly what you are looking for

i can give you an entire setup if you are interested (engine radios/servos/ect)

if you are worried about crashing or want a cheaper method,
spadflyer.com has some decent "trainers" (plastic versions of the big stick) that are virturally indestructable and fly rather well (when i jumped from electrics to nitro thats what i graduated too....was a somewhat decent step but the plane handled the abuse i gave it) for about 50 bucks shipped
Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee.. for as long as I've been in this hobby, I still fly my trainer, so it is not a loss purchase, it's an investment in relaxation. Once you DO learn to fly, most of us go back to that trainer once in a while (more often than many of us will admit) for both a relaxing flight and to get back to basics.

It's nice to fly those planes that go where you point them and fly like they are on rails. This often puts us in a complacent mode and we tend to get over confident. Flying the basic four channel trainer, the one that you actually have to fly, is often a way to get that spark back in the hobby and get us back to thinking about what we originally learned and probably forgot.

For purcilas:

My advice: Get a good trainer, the Alpha suggested, is a great starting point. Put it together, fly it, then keep it around as you move up to a newer and more capable plane.

CGr.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:21 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still take out my 11yr old Alpha and fly it around for the first few outings of the season, and occasionally after that. It has helped a number of people learn to fly, and is on it's second engine, probably needs a new receiver battery this year, but I will again take it out when the runway dries enough to stand on it. I will keep it around for as long as I can. They will always be useful in your hangar.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM
purcilas

Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it.

Are there any setbacks on not getting the NexStar? I think it's the only plane with the AFS and that why I was very interested in it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

While the Nexstar is an average flying trainer, it is way overpriced because of the AFS and other worthless gadgets on it. Most every instructor I know will disconnect the AFS and take off the wing droops and speed brakes before they start training a student. And if they is the case why spend the money for things you don't need.

I for one don't like the AFS and wish they would quit putting it on a trainer. Why? Because it can actually hamper the student from learning to fly instead of helping him. When the AFS is working correctly (which isn't all the time) all a student has to do when he gets into trouble is let go of the sticks and the AFS will level the plane. That doesn't teach the student anything other than to let go of the sticks when he's in trouble, and on any other plane other than the Nexstar that will result in a crashed plane. You would be better off learning on a trainer without all those gadgets

I agree with others about not outgrowing their trainers. 15 years and I still have mine. I still fly it. I am under the firm belief that there are no boring planes, only boring pilots.

Ken

Old 03-10-2011, 01:40 PM
rhall999

I agree with others about not outgrowing their trainers. 15 years and I still have mine. I still fly it. I am under the firm belief that there are no boring planes, only boring pilots.
I've been flying for...let me see... going on 16 years now. I have a 1/4 scale Extra 300, as well as some other higher performance sport and scale jobs over the years. What did I just finish building this winter...a Kadet Seniorita!!! Why, you ask??Well,nothing flies like a Seniorita (1). Relaxation (2). A glider tug for 2-3m gliders (3). Just plane fun (4, pun intended).

As for the original question, I would recommend that you actually get a kit that you can build yourself, for a few reasons that I won't get into (unless you want me too). If you really don't want to build, then sure go with an ARF. Just stay away from the Nexstar. I haven't flown one myself, but Ihave heard nothing good about them, and all the extra gizmos just looks like more of a hinderance to me. I would recommend anything in the Sig Kadet line. Especially the LT-40 or if that is too big, the LT-25. Another good choice would be the classic Carl Goldberg Eagle 2. The thing I like most about these types, is that you can get them in either a kit built or ARF versions, and they all fly very nice. Not only do they make quite good basic trainers, but when you are ready to start expanding your skills, they can all be made to "dance" pretty good!!

Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Oh gee, I dont feel too bad now. I ve flying only a yr, but I still like to start the day with a flight or two in my Sig LT40.
It helps me get my bearings and shake the nerves with a good reliable old friend.
Then I can fly the others. My war bird is always last, I still have issues landing the thing.
I am even thinking about trading it.
Make sure you get in a club and get an instructor. The anti-crash gadgets are only going to keep you from learning so stay away from it.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:07 PM
scooterinvegas

Alpha 40 comes with a low end 2.4 and everything is in the box.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4400 <link to Alpha

Any Ready To Fly you buy with a 2.4 radio is going to include a junk Tx that you will just have to up grade anyway.

But if you can deal with a 72 FM for your first radio, I would recommended the HobbiStar 60 RTF. GREAT trainer that is easy to fly, but with out the typical flat wing, it will be a "trainer" you can grow into with some basic aerobatics.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGHD4**&P=0 <link to HobbiStar

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlLj3LPpdf4[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDOUcKkc89Q[/youtube]

The HobbiStar was my 1st new plane, and I still fly it. Great plane.

Ive flown both, the HobbiStar will handle wind a little better and has more power, but I liked the Alpha to..
Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 PM
purcilas

Thanks for all the great replies! Very informative!

I am almost decided on the Hangar 9 Alpha but I saw on Craiglist this post: http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tag/2215305955.html

The guy sells me the extra 300 with remote and servos (No engine) for $130. Obviously I dont consider it a beginner plane but it might be a "nice" deal to get? Looks kind of old though. 

The supersport he hasnt given me a price but I am guessing its probably about $10-20 cheaper.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That probably is a good buy. If the batteries are old you can figure about $70 to replace them with quality packs from www.hangtimes.com, but for planes to grow into he's got some deals. In your shoes, I'd go for that UltraSport. It's essentially a Kaos with some cosmetic changes. The Kaos is a classic pattern plane, made to fly true in nearly any attitude and any wind. Not for beginners at all, but definitely a nice plane to learn aerobatics on later. Keep an eye out on Craigslist. I see trainers sometimes for $50 or so there.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:15 PM
purcilas

So I got what I think a hell of a deal on a GP SlowPoke 40. 

$150 for the plane, engine, radio, servos, field kit, extra monokote and some other few goodies. (Thanks Craiglist).

I am leaving to pick it up now. I know it's not the "trainer" I wanted but I think it will be a good plane to move on later on! 

Let me know your thoughts!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:17 PM
purcilas

Btw, the plane has never been flown... it looks brand new and its already built.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 PM
purcilas

Ok so this is all I got for $150. I think I got a very good deal.

Also not shown I got the original box for the plane and a toolbox that I most probably will throw away as it barely has anything in it and its all messed up.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

honestly you dont need a "trainer" that slow poke will work well. just get someone to buddy box it and you should be good to go. that plane looks great, id just go for it. make sure the batteries actually hold a charge and range check the range check that tx/rx
Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with JJ on the airplane, Slow Pokes althrough not a favorite of mine can make workmanlike trainers.

I may have a problem with the engine however as that looks like an MDS, you never mentioned and the picture is to far away. If so this may well be why the person you bought the package from never flew the airplane.

Also There are potential problems with the "remote" agine you never mentioned what it is but be aware there are older systems that are even illegal to use and would not be allowed at any organized field. That appears to be a Conquest or a Vanguard and either may be Am. There is nothing wrong with AM units but be aware there are examples of both that are wideband and definately not what you want to use nor legal.

John
Old 03-12-2011, 05:52 AM
purcilas

Oh the Remote is a Tower Hobbies System 3000 which is 4CH and FM. I am planning on replacing it with a cheap 2.4Ghz from HobbyKing.com (are they ok?).

The enginer is a Tower Hobbies .40. Not sure what MDS means?
Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes you are good to go

That radio system is fine if you choose to use it.

MDS is a brand of engine that was made in Russia that was a major failure and many showed up in slow pokes at the time because they were cheap. They were effective paper weights though.

The Tower engine will work fine, so yes you got a pretty good deal.

Actually in this economy good deals on starting packages are plentiful all over. For this reason I highly suggest folks network within their clubs (this is a very good reason to get involved with a club) a bit and this saves a lot of potential problems shipping stuff around the country as well as other issues.

John[8D]
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM
purcilas

Another guy that just contacted me back from craiglist is selling a Superstar 40 with the same equipment at the same price. Oh well... too late.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:20 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: purcilas

Ok so this is all I got for $150. I think I got a very good deal.

Also not shown I got the original box for the plane and a toolbox that I most probably will throw away as it barely has anything in it and its all messed up.

I see you got one of the TF nylon props with red tips. Get rid of it. They are dangerous and fail easily. The nylon tends to dry out over time. They have not be sold for at least 20 years.

Bruce
Old 03-12-2011, 07:23 AM
purcilas

Will do! Thanks for the warning.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:26 AM
scooterinvegas

Here is a link to your owners manual for your Tx. It shows what the lights mean (green & red) and how much it power it draws (180 mAh)

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/pdf/towj41.pdf

You will need to get these to if you want to know exactly what your batterys in your plane (Rx) and controller (Tx) are doing. It can make the diffrance between bringing your plane home in one peace or in a bag.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDZ5&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYPS1&P=FR

Or you could get a charger from HK that comes with a "squid" all in one type plug with the charger for about the same price.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11668
Old 03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
purcilas

Thanks for all the awesome feedback and help everybody. I really appreciate it.

I need help with one more thing though...

the plane is 99.9% complete I would say as it need the control hooks for the ailerons to be put in place. As you can see from the pictures the ailerons are already covered up and I can't figure out if I will need to break the cover to put the control hooks in or not. The manual page does not provide any guidance as to when to put them in, only tells you where to put them.

I have called two local hobby shops and none of them provide help when constructing planes (and one guy was kind of rude and said if I was getting into planes i should know a bit about how to build them).

I am going to call the guy that sold it to me and see if he can give me some tips on how to connect it without having to redo the aileron cover too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.