Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1/4 scale USA Balsa Army Piper Cub landing

Hello there friendly folks,

I have graduated from learning on a .60 Goldberg Protege and a .60 Hobbistar MKIII and i have just bought my first gas plane.

I think its a 1/4 Balsa USA Army piper cub on a Zenoah 2200. I do not have the plane in my hands yet, but I should by the weekend.

I have been practicing on the simulator, but I do not seem to be able to land the Piper Cub (on the sim) without bouncing ... My instructor always said to "flare-up" on the other models, so I am trying the same thin here at the last moment (on the sim).

Since this is a tail-dragger, I don't seem to have a good handle on the landing ... Its either bouncy OR by flaring up I am hitting the tail (on the ground) when the front wheels touch while landing.

Any hints from the seasoned pro's before I attempt to fly this thing this coming weekend?

I want to put some more hours on the simulator during the week.

Thanks in advance!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1/4 scale USA Balsa Army Piper Cub landing

All that comes to my mind is that perhaps yopu should maintain slightly more throttle on the landing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might be coming in with too little forward speed, try to add some throttle management to your flying, rather than just elevator.
    The throttle controls the rate of descent, so if you increase the throttle a little near touchdown it will be smoother. You can in principle land a plane without ever touching the elevator.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you guys for the input. I will try tonight on the sim when I get home ...

I will report tomorrow if I have made any progress ...

Throttle management will be a bit challenging to get the right angle of decent ...

I have seen some youtube videos of people landing the Cub and they make it look so easy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

I tried the sim last night and I saw what you mean with throttle management ... I was able to land "better" than before without wind.

Now, I have to start working with some various angles turbulent crosswind.

Thanks for your help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definately sounds like not enough air speed. struggled for along time landing my cub... until I started bringing it in with a little more "heat". My landing strip is short, but even with increased air speed I have no problems. Don't forget your rudder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you perform a full-stall landing and the tailwheel touches slightly before the mains do, you've made a good landing. When I was learning to fly full-size airplanes, I was learning to land a Piper PA-11, one of the Cub-series of airplanes and a tail-dragger. If I landed and touched tailwheel first, my instructor would call it a "good Navy landing." He mentioned that it would be hard to get into trouble with landings like that.

If you touch mains first in a tailwheel airplane, you'll bounce...can't help it, unless you're deliberately performing a wheel landing. If you come in a bit slow, you'll usually not have a good flare to landing so adding a bit of power as you flare can help. Landing faster doesn't really make for better landings, but you do have a bit tighter control during the approach, and more control authority when you flare. Howevere, you still have to bleed off the speed to get the model properly settled on the ground.
    Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bax

If you perform a full-stall landing and the tailwheel touches slightly before the mains do, you've made a good landing. When I was learning to fly full-size airplanes, I was learning to land a Piper PA-11, one of the Cub-series of airplanes and a tail-dragger. If I landed and touched tailwheel first, my instructor would call it a "good Navy landing." He mentioned that it would be hard to get into trouble with landings like that.

If you touch mains first in a tailwheel airplane, you'll bounce...can't help it, unless you're deliberately performing a wheel landing. If you come in a bit slow, you'll usually not have a good flare to landing so adding a bit of power as you flare can help. Landing faster doesn't really make for better landings, but you do have a bit tighter control during the approach, and more control authority when you flare. Howevere, you still have to bleed off the speed to get the model properly settled on the ground.
    This is great stuff. As a beginner with a brand new, freshly built Cub, I would like to hear more about the nuances of Cub flight characteristics before I venture on my maiden. Please, go on and explain to me how the aileron input effects the planes attitude at slow speed, etc, etc... I'm totally serious, btw.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Typical Cub issues include ground loops on takeoff and handing adverse yaw. Grounds loops are when the plane gets crooked on takeoff and you can't recover. Prevent them by getting your main gear straight, then your tailwheel on setup, and takeoff with a little right rudder which you release as you apply power. Adverse yaw is cause by the down aileron making more drag than the up one, which means the plane will yaw opposite to the roll. The true fix is to simply coordinate your turns with the rudder, but setting up some aileron differential tames it down a lot. try a ratio of 1.5 up to 1 down. For example, 1.5 inch up throw and 1 inch down throw. You'll still need the rudder, but it won't be fighting the ailerons in every turn.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: k1201ltc

*Hello there friendly folks,

I have graduated from learning on a .60 Goldberg Protege and a .60 Hobbistar MKIII and i have just bought my first gas plane.

I think its a 1/4 Balsa USA Army piper cub on a Zenoah 2200. I do not have the plane in my hands yet, but I should by the weekend.

I have been practicing on the simulator, but I do not seem to be able to land the Piper Cub (on the sim) without bouncing ... My instructor always said to ''flare-up'' on the other models, so I am trying the same thin here at the last moment (on the sim).

Since this is a tail-dragger, I don't seem to have a good handle on the landing ... Its either bouncy OR by flaring up I am hitting the tail (on the ground) when the front wheels touch while landing.

Any hints from the seasoned pro's before I attempt to fly this thing this coming weekend?

I want to put some more hours on the simulator during the week.

Thanks in advance!
    I actually think the problem is too much airspeed. If you bounce back into flight, you didn't have a full stall landing. With correct airspeed, the plane will stall onto the ground from a couple of inches high. and will stay planted there.
    I don\'\'t enjoy getting older, but it sure beats the alternative.