Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Magnum XL 52 RFS

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Magnum XL 52 RFS

Old 03-18-2011, 05:04 PM
TunnelBill
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum XL 52 RFS

Hi,

I am breaking in a New Magnum XL 52 and was wondering what is the best prop for this motor? I am breaking the motor in on test stand, and the RPM is weak with a APC 11 X 7 8800-8900. I have worked with a MA K 12X5 prop also but nothing get up to 10,000-10,500 RPM. The motor is going in a Sig Kadet LT-40. I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Phoenixangel

Default RE: Magnum XL 52 RFS

You will get more power out of it once it is actually broke in. I have a couple of .52's now. I run a 12x6 MA on one of them around 9,000 on the ground. The other is a weaker running engine it is OLD.

I run an apc 11x6 on it. It performs well enough. The real trick to the right prop.....Find the one YOU like best for your engine airframe combo. Buy several sizes and try them until you are happy.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 PM
raydar

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Forget tuning it for top performance now, get it reliable and put a few hours on it in air then tinker. BTW got a lt40 great plane.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:15 AM
ameyam

How does Magnum compare to OS? I have got issues with a 55ax and may be replacing it soon. The magnum equivalent of the 75ax / 81A is much cheaper. What about spares and interchangable parts between OS and Magnum?

Ameyam
Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

A 10-7 or 11-6 prop would probably be better choices for this engine. Top performance will come after 10-15 flights. Don't push the engine too hard while breaking it in. It's best to always run it a little on the rich side.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: TunnelBill

I am breaking the motor in on test stand, and the RPM is weak with a APC 11 X 7 8800-8900. I have worked with a MA K 12X5 prop also but nothing get up to 10,000-10,500 RPM.

Thanks,
Bill
Many newbies make the same mistake.

They see the RPM specs and think their engine will hit those RPMs...

The specs give maximum RPM's on an underproped engine.

In reallity you'll hardly ever approach stated RPM's and even then it will be only when the engine is unloaded in the air and in a slight dive at full power.

Instead go with the best combo that produces the flight envelope you want.

If you need more thrust, use a bigger diameter and lower pitch and the reverse for more airspeed... but remember you are always traiding one off for the other.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 AM
TunnelBill
My Feedback: (58)

Thank you for the info,

I run 8 - 8oz tanks of fuel through the motor and it is coming to life. I am happy with the motor so far for the price. It will not hold a idle at all, I have tried to lean the low end but have not found a sweet spot yet. If I leave the glow driver on the plug it will idle as low as I want it. I'm thinking about putting an on board glow on it. My back ground is Racing RC Boats and I always run Novarossi motors.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: TunnelBill

Thank you for the info,

I run 8 - 8oz tanks of fuel through the motor and it is coming to life. I am happy with the motor so far for the price. It will not hold a idle at all, I have tried to lean the low end but have not found a sweet spot yet. If I leave the glow driver on the plug it will idle as low as I want it. I'm thinking about putting an on board glow on it. My back ground is Racing RC Boats and I always run Novarossi motors.

Thanks,
Bill
If putting on the glow driver lets it idle better, then it is still too rich on the low end.

The ASP/Magnum engines are VERY sensitive on the needles.

Keep adjusting the low end until removing the glow driver results in a small drop in RPMs.

That will be the "sweet spot".