Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

WIND,WIND,WIND

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

WIND,WIND,WIND

Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WIND,WIND,WIND

ORIGINAL: adabikerdoctor

Flying in these windy conditions makes you alot better pilot in RC and FS. I have 4 giant scale that fly excellent in the wind. If you don't have one of them buy a roll gyro and put on your smaller planes, smoothes them right out with a 25%gain. I use a gyro on my 50'' EP Katanna & 49'' GP EP Sporster. Make some adjustment and get out there and fly, Gentlemen!

Flying in windy conditions will make you a better pilot eventually, but at what cost? I know a guy at my Club that fly's in windy conditions and he keeps buying or repairing his planes on a regular bases. I have a plane that is 3 years old now because I don't take un-nessesary risks.

I flew my first Seagull.90 Extra 260 in wind gusts and I did my usual " Knife Edge" about 10' off the ground. A gust of crosswind nailed me as I was about to pull out of it and this is what happened.

I crashed right in the middle 2 corn rows near our airfield. The real mistake is I was doing low stunts in windy conditions and it was my fault.

Just a note to add and it's a little off topic: Everyone at my Club has been pestering for me to buy another Seagull .90 Extra 260 since the beginning of last summer, so I bought another one yesterday just to shut everyone up about it. Even my LHS knew I crashed the last one when other people told him about it, and they ordered another one telling me I had my name on it. I guess he was right.

I guess they knew I really liked the plane and had a ball with it, so everyone can count me out with the windy days. I'll just sit back with the Ol'timers and watch everyone else crash.

Pete
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 AM
tyrick69

Take up kite flying as your new hobby. The wind will die.
Seriously though, I live on a large lake in NJ and really hated seeing those otherwise beautiful days go to waste because it was just too windy to fly, so I bought an RC sailboat.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:28 AM
RLPageMD
My Feedback: (3)

Local weather just predicted wind gusts as high as 60 mph by Sunday. Yet another weekend down the drain. Add to the fact we're in a serious drought around here, the fire danger has been incredibly high. Just hope our fire season doesn't end up as bad as last year. Rick
Old 04-08-2011, 08:46 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, no doubt JJ will fly.

CGr.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 AM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Spring? whats Spring in KS? Went from freezing cold high winds yesterday to a forecast of 90 deg and 60mph gusts tomorrow. nothing like the furnace effect. hopfully though I can flight around 6am when it still might be calm.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Well if gas was cheaper I'd drive north in the summer and south in the winter. What do do about the wife? Dennis
Send her south in the summer and north in the winter
Now that there's funny!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:04 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

quit being a baby and get a 16 pound airplane and go play in the wind..if not then stay at home looking out the window til may =)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
jhatton

I have a 9 oz epp foamie that I keep in the car, I fly it most days... the strongest wind I have flown that plane in was measured at 35MPH... it had just enough power to go forward at about 1mph relative to the ground at full throttle directly into the wind... had to land backwards, about 20MPH is a good wind speed for that plane, you can do slow rolls right in front of yourself without going forward.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Flying in windy conditions will make you a better pilot eventually, but at what cost? I know a guy at my Club that fly's in windy conditions and he keeps buying or repairing his planes on a regular bases. I have a plane that is 3 years old now because I don't take un-nessesary risks.
That's what "beater" planes are for.... He's just using the wrong plane.

My Stik's with the added weight of big battery packs, LOVE the wind... you can throw the engine into idle and take advantage of the breeze.

As someone here said: "If you aren't crashing planes, you aren't flying enough!".
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
scooterinvegas

The wind NEVER crashes planes. NOT respecting the wind will.....
Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 AM
sonsight

Same here in Colorado Springs,
The wind just has been SCREAMING! And no sign of it ending anytime soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:03 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Already then, I thought it was only us in Florida. It has being windy here for 2 weeks until today.
It was calm(5mph) and hot (90) today, so I sepnt 4 hrs at the field. Great flying day here
Old 04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Tarasdad

Here in the Mojave Desert we've been plagued with gusty winds the last few days. Had a late season winter storm blow in with rain and snow, going to be another day or two before the winds die off totally. Tomorrow is forecast around 7-9mph so I'm going to do my best to be out flying. Heck, I learned to fly in the wind when I first started in RC in SE Texas where it was either that or forget flying at all!

I flew my first Seagull.90 Extra 260 in wind gusts and I did my usual '' Knife Edge'' about 10' off the ground. A gust of crosswind nailed me as I was about to pull out of it and this is what happened.

I crashed right in the middle 2 corn rows near our airfield. The real mistake is I was doing low stunts in windy conditions and it was my fault.

Just a note to add and it's a little off topic: Everyone at my Club has been pestering for me to buy another Seagull .90 Extra 260 since the beginning of last summer, so I bought another one yesterday just to shut everyone up about it. Even my LHS knew I crashed the last one when other people told him about it, and they ordered another one telling me I had my name on it. I guess he was right.

I guess they knew I really liked the plane and had a ball with it, so everyone can count me out with the windy days. I'll just sit back with the Ol'timers and watch everyone else crash.

Pete
Dang, Oberst, that sucks! Still, looks like a bit of time on the building bench with some CA and epoxy would have fixed her right up. I guarantee you if I ever see someone toss a plane in that condition it'll be in my trunk faster than you can say "MINE!!!"
Old 04-08-2011, 01:40 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

I respect the wind, my plane doesn't care however.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:10 PM
adabikerdoctor

Glad to see you guys are out there flying and not missing out on these wonderful windy conditions. When else will you ever get to practice crosswinds lands? Rule 1 is tokeep an older heavier plane to practice with which makes it easer to fly and easier to fix if do mess it up.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 PM
hsukaria

The real reason for all these high winds is the high pressure over Washington DC due to the hot air being generated by the politicians right now.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Tarasdad

Keep in mind also that larger aircraft tend to handle the wind better than smaller ones do. Well, normally - a featherweight 80" won't do as well as a solid 60" in more than a light breeze.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:18 PM
hsukaria

Anyway, SE Michigan has not been as windy as you guys are going through. But we are having a lot of rain and the ground is totally soaked. So even if it stops raining and no wind, the ground will still be too wet to fly. Unless you get floats, of course.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 PM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

pretty nice here today...wind 2-5 mph, 58* flew for a couple hours after work. Storms hit tomorrow night i guess.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 AM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A roll gyro? Heresy! A'ight, seriously, I won't knock it til I've tried it.....it would be interesting to see what some fly-by-wire tech can do to smooth things out. I'm all for pure-manual stick-and-rudder airmanship, but if it's to the point where turbulence is making it just not even fun to fly, well.......fun is the main goal of RC, after all.

Beautiful Gee Bee, by the way!

Matt
Old 04-09-2011, 02:30 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

Good one. That's kind of what I was trying to say, but you said it only a few words.

Pete
Old 04-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

Here in the Mojave Desert we've been plagued with gusty winds the last few days. Had a late season winter storm blow in with rain and snow, going to be another day or two before the winds die off totally. Tomorrow is forecast around 7-9mph so I'm going to do my best to be out flying. Heck, I learned to fly in the wind when I first started in RC in SE Texas where it was either that or forget flying at all!

I flew my first Seagull.90 Extra 260 in wind gusts and I did my usual '' Knife Edge'' about 10' off the ground. A gust of crosswind nailed me as I was about to pull out of it and this is what happened.

Pete
Dang, Oberst, that sucks! Still, looks like a bit of time on the building bench with some CA and epoxy would have fixed her right up. I guarantee you if I ever see someone toss a plane in that condition it'll be in my trunk faster than you can say ''MINE!!!''

I bought another one. And if you were there you wouldn't have got the plane until I pulled my equipment and engine out of it. The plane wasn't worth the 5 months or so to rebuild it. For all the balsa, glue, plywood, covering, battery, cowl, pants, engine muffler and remote needle, canopy and other parts it would have cost more than the plane was worth. I only payed $179 for it.

Now if it was a discontinued ARF, and almost impossible to replace- then I would have rebuilt the plane. In the ARF Thread I restored and modified the Discontinued Great Planes .60 Fokker DR1. You can't find that ARF aircraft anywhere, and if you could, I doubt you can get it for less than $400. I payed $300 and drove 400 miles to pick it up, and it was not in good condition. I think I payed for the equipment more than the plane.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10038870/tm.htm

Pete
Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

Same here, winds only ~15mph, but gusts up to 30mph. 15mph no problem! 30mph gusts, not so much.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:04 AM
andernamen
My Feedback: (3)

It's all your fault anyways. The chickens have come home to roost......Global Warming!!!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: andernamen

It's all your fault anyways. The chickens have come home to roost......Global Warming!!!

I'm sure Al Gore is having a orgasim in his pants right now. [X(]

Pete

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.