Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Best crash servos

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Best crash servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:21 AM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best crash servos

I am a plane crasher. I have no interest in a 100.00 servo, however if someone could convince me . I would like to know if a high tork servo would survive a crash better than a standard servo?
Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Best crash servos

If you want your servos to survive crashes the best you're going to want to opt for steering servos out of monster trucks. Those servos are all but designed for it, seeing as monster trucks are designed to land from heights that would turn an airplane into confetti. I mean...would you drop your plane from 12 feet in the air on it's nose and expect it to run afterward? Because a good MT will bounce right back from such a hit. literally.

Don't bother with a servo saver though. I can tell you first-hand they don't protect servos very well. I've broken three or four servos despite the servo saver in my monster truck. Also they open you up for flutter, and by the sounds of it you don't need any additional help crashing.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:01 PM
opjose

I've crashed many of the cheap SG5010's ( $8.00/ea ) without EVER stripping a gear on one nor ruining a servo.

At that price I wouldn't have cared anyway, but they've held up well.

For me, most of the standard size and up JR and Futaba's also have too...

The servos that have faired worst for me have been the Hitecs.... Not awful, but not as well as the others.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

I am a plane crasher. I have no interest in a 100.00 servo, however if someone could convince me . I would like to know if a high tork servo would survive a crash better than a standard servo?
Can you explain why you are a plane crasher? Just curious here.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Your best bet is to simply stop crashing planes. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but that's the best way to get servos to survive a crash. It's very difficult to pick a servo to survive a crash. I have seen cheap $10 standard servos (plastic gears) survive a crash that totally rekitted a plane and on the other hand I've seen $100 high torque (metal gears) get toasted on deadstick in the tall grass. Every crash is different and puts different loads on a servo and it's gear train.

However, no matter what happens all servos involved in a crash should be suspect before putting back into another plane. Many things can happen in a crash from gear teeth ripping off,  cracked gears, cracked cases, cracked circuit boards, and many other things that can bring down your next plane if you use those servos again. What I usually do with servos that have been in a crash is take them apart and inspect everything. The case, the gears, the circuit, and the wires. Then when I have the servo apart I will clean and re-lube the geartrain as I reassemble the servo. I have often found problems this way that very well might have brought down another a plane had I put them back into another plane without checking first. Without this inspection there is no way I would ever trust a crashed servo in another plane.

Ken
Old 04-17-2011, 06:07 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Your best bet is to simply stop crashing planes. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but that's the best way to get servos to survive a crash. It's very difficult to pick a servo to survive a crash. I have seen cheap $10 standard servos (plastic gears) survive a crash that totally rekitted a plane and on the other hand I've seen $100 high torque (metal gears) get toasted on deadstick in the tall grass. Every crash is different and puts different loads on a servo and it's gear train.

However, no matter what happens all servos involved in a crash should be suspect before putting back into another plane. Many things can happen in a crash from gear teeth ripping off, cracked gears, cracked cases, cracked circuit boards, and many other things that can bring down your next plane if you use those servos again. What I usually do with servos that have been in a crash is take them apart and inspect everything. The case, the gears, the circuit, and the wires. Then when I have the servo apart I will clean and re-lube the geartrain as I reassemble the servo. I have often found problems this way that very well might have brought down another a plane had I put them back into another plane without checking first. Without this inspection there is no way I would ever trust a crashed servo in another plane.

Ken
Ken,

What do you use to lube the gears?

Gary
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I use a product from Radio Shack called "Lube Gel". However, I went to their site to look for it so I could provide you with a link to the product and I don't see it there on their website. So they may not carry it any longer.

Ken
Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Would white lithium grease be acceptable?

Gary
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's nylon safe and electronics safe, sure.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 PM
ES CONTROL

No I am not trying to crash . But last year I burnt 10 Gal fuel  .  Starting out with 5 planes and ending up with 2 1/2 .

I would like to find out if other gears would hold up better in crashes, before spending extra money on servos.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Consider getting a sim and really practicing on it if you don't already; you'd be surprised how much your skill comes up if you honestly use it to hone your flying. For servo gear lube, I use that Tamiya moly grease on servo gears- plastic safe and works great on nylon.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

No I am not trying to crash . But last year I burnt 10 Gal fuel . Starting out with 5 planes and ending up with 2 1/2 .

I would like to find out if other gears would hold up better in crashes, before spending extra money on servos.
if your not flying pattern/high presision flying i have the servo for you
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sp?idProduct=2
they are 8 bucks and a tank, i have yet to see one strip, they are also very strong and cheap (shipping is expensive tho and can take a month unless you get the ems (more expensive) option)
just buy like 10 or so of them and it will be worth the money.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

if your not flying pattern/high presision flying i have the servo for you
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...sp?idProduct=2
they are 8 bucks and a tank, i have yet to see one strip, they are also very strong and cheap (shipping is expensive tho and can take a month unless you get the ems (more expensive) option)
just buy like 10 or so of them and it will be worth the money.
Those are the "Tower Pro" ( aka Hextronics ) metal equivalents of the SG5010's.

I use those as well as the SG5010's.

I like both, though the metal gear tooth servos are purported to wear faster than the plastic ones.

I've yet to wear one out though after years of use.

They are strong and hold up very well.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hobbypartz carries the SG5010, I am a big believer. They are about $5 and I think shipping is free from California if you spend $25 or more.

[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/kahaoubrmo14.html]SG5010[/link]