Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Senior Falcon

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Senior Falcon

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Senior Falcon

Has anyone put one of these together (arf) and changed it from the "stock" wing dihedral with either no or very little dihedral?

If so, how did you do it?

I'm just curious because someone asked me that question today and I had my own ideas as to how to do this.

Aside from that question, I am curious how the modified plane handled?

Thanks.

CGr.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Senior Falcon

Changing dihedral is very easy.  Just trial-fit the wings together at the desired angle and then use a piece of paper or cardboard to make a template of the wing joiner.  If you're building a kit, it's a very easy process.  If you're assembling an ARF, you'll have to make a center rib that's wedge-shaped from top to bottom to accomodate the gap you'll be making...either that or carefully cut out the root ribs of both wing halves and reinstall them after you've made and put in the new wing  joiner.

Finally, if you already have an assembled wing, you can lower the dihedral a bit by putting a saw cut in the center joint about 9/10 of the way from bottom to top, not cutting through the top of the wing.  Force epoxy glue into the gap and weight the wing to close the gap.  Lay 4"-6" wide 6-ounce fiberglass cloth across the joint from leading edge to trailing edge.  When the epoxy cures, you'll have a wing that's every bit as strong as it once was.  Of course, you'll have to remove the covering from the balsa where you glue the glass cloth.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: Bax

Changing dihedral is very easy. Just trial-fit the wings together at the desired angle and then use a piece of paper or cardboard to make a template of the wing joiner. If you're building a kit, it's a very easy process. If you're assembling an ARF, you'll have to make a center rib that's wedge-shaped from top to bottom to accomodate the gap you'll be making...either that or carefully cut out the root ribs of both wing halves and reinstall them after you've made and put in the new wing joiner.

Finally, if you already have an assembled wing, you can lower the dihedral a bit by putting a saw cut in the center joint about 9/10 of the way from bottom to top, not cutting through the top of the wing. Force epoxy glue into the gap and weight the wing to close the gap. Lay 4''-6'' wide 6-ounce fiberglass cloth across the joint from leading edge to trailing edge. When the epoxy cures, you'll have a wing that's every bit as strong as it once was. Of course, you'll have to remove the covering from the balsa where you glue the glass cloth.

Thanks, Bax. That sounds easy enough.

CGr.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
cfircav8r

Now I haven't flown the new ARF, but I had an original kit built in the 70's. It had the designed dihedral and flew great. Even with the fair amount of dihedral in the design it was rock solid inverted and would do a good job at aerobatics, however it doesn't spin very tight due to the long tail moment.