Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

12 mm of foam or 6mm?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

12 mm of foam or 6mm?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
shockwave3895

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 mm of foam or 6mm?

alright, im gonna try to build the superslo 28 from sdparkflyers.comhttp://sdparkflyers.com/super.htmlwhat i want to know is what you guys think about using 12 mm epp for it. i already have 6mm sheets of 1.9# and they arent what i thought they would bee. i dont know if i could ever get these stiffened up enough to use realistically as a plane material. what do you guys think about doubling it up? i have a 1200 kv motor, 3 cell battery, and 9x4.7 prop for it so i dont think power would be an issue. i would just like to get a plane in the air without having to wait for more foam to arrive, and having to purchase more foam. its only 3mm thicker than reccomended so.. someone let me know your thoughts!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:50 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 12 mm of foam or 6mm?

The plans call for 9mm, so why not just use that?
Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 PM
shockwave3895

i dont have any of that. im just doing 12. modding thee design as i go to make it work. actually going quite well. to be honest i could just about cut it out like its drawn and jam the pices together a littl without a problem. 3 milimeters is not all that much.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
blueapplepaste

My only concern is that even 3mm over what is recommended could add a decent amount of weight, and with planes like these, the lighter the better, or else they won't fly like they're intended to.

Did you try asking on the build thread over at RCG? Its linked to in your link.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 PM
shockwave3895

its no doubt going to be heavier. not only am i adding 3mm of foam, but im also adding epoxy. a fair amount of it. i dont neccisarily intend to do 3d with it just yet, but ill cross that bridge later. im going to run on 3s, not 2. i have a higher pitch prop as well. so power wont be an issue, and with even just that little bit of added air resistance, im hoping it will slow it down a little. it should still be quite floaty, and do whawt i want with it. i just want something slower than what i have to try and learn on, and this presented itself as a cheap option. originally i was going to replicate my flying buddys 3d gee bee, but i decided to go with this. ill see how it goes, got it roughly assembled and cut today, now just for carbon spars and electronics to go into it. should be fun!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
blueapplepaste

Well, it definitely will be a little heavier. However, be careful that you don't prop for too much speed. EPP is extremely flexible, great for 3D where you crash a lot, but not so much for speedier planes. I'm sure you'll be OK, but it'll probably fly more like a sport plane than a 3D if its too heavy.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:44 AM
shockwave3895

maidened it last night. flys like a dream. itll stay aloft at like 1/4 throttle no problem. im a very new pilot, last night was my 6th flight ever, but accidentally nosed up on 1/2 throttle and she just hung there. flight was under a minute as that i was too nervous, but i just cut throttle and it glided to the ground like a falling leaf. it was truly amazing. gonna give her another go today.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 AM
blueapplepaste

Awesome! Glad to hear it went well.