Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

EDF RTR Kit For Beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

EDF RTR Kit For Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:44 PM
kaianuanu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EDF RTR Kit For Beginner

hi guys, I am an RC car/truck guy and i have increasing interests in fighter jets and such. I am also seriously considering enlisting in the air force (I am a Sophomore going on junior in high school). Anyway, I have no experience in RC model planes at all but I want to learn. I am looking for a kit that comes with EVERYTHING I need for a relatively easy to fly EDF fighter jet. I also Want it under $200 as this will be my birthday present. I will have to learn to fly on this so if it will be too difficult to start with an EDF Jet, I will just get a watch as i am not interested in prop aircraft. This jet will need to be durable, as i said, I will learn to fly on this. It must be a model of a fighter jet(I like F-35's and F-22 Raptors), that actually looks realistic. I'd rather not get a styrofoam one but more like a plastic shell. I want it to be pretty fast for when I am ready for speed. I am not afraid of assembly or building but the kit MUST include everything I need to start. Can anyone give me some advice on a kit I should get? Also, any sites to look at for RTR's that meet this criteria?

Thanks,
-Kai
Old 05-11-2011, 03:11 PM
kaianuanu

Default RE: EDF RTR Kit For Beginner

anyone?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:14 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
airtime82
My Feedback: (3)

I dont think learning will be easy on these but here you go....   http://www.nitroplanes.com/edf.html

Most of these are under $200 and ready to fly and that was the first site I tried.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:24 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

At least you'll always know what time it is.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM
kaianuanu

How would my odds be of trying to learn on an EDF jet that was slower and I installed a gyro in it.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Not any better. I'm going to be brutally honest with you here, but what you want just isn't realistic. First off, an EDF isn't something to learn to fly on. Then you want a "realistic" looking "jet fighter" but you don't want to pay more than $200. Overall what you are looking for really just doesn't exist.

I can understand your desire to fly a "jet". Let's face it, they are just plain cool. But do you think that the Air Force trains their jet jocks to fly in an F-16? Nope! They start in a small single engine prop plane. Same here. Learn on something more suited for training and then move up to you EDF jet.

Ken
Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM
kaianuanu

What about something like this? The upgrade package seems to have the performance i'll want later too!

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2OChNHYlMw]FlyZone Diablo EDF Trainer[/link]
Old 05-11-2011, 04:25 PM
kaianuanu

hello?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:41 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

You stated in your initial post that you didn't want foam. But if you're willing to accept the foam then go ahead.

It's obvious that you're only looking for one answer, and not really interested in hearing what reality is. And if that's the case there's not much we can do for you here. Many of the experienced members here spend a lot of time to help people get started in this hobby, but we're not going to just rubber stamp something because it's what the member wants to hear. It's a pretty common thing that most people that are getting started don't want "an ugly trainer", but would rather have a sleek P-51 or a sexy jet fighter. We've all been there. But the reality is that 999 out of 1,000 people are going to have start out like everybody else. But who knows, maybe you are that 1 out of 1,000 that is a natural flyer and can pick up the radio on just about anything and start flying it immediately and never crashes.

We are here to help beginner's have a better chance at learning to fly. If you're going to come here and not be interested in the advice that we give you then you're really wasting everyone's time (yours and ours). We would love to help you get a start in the hobby, but if you're going to ignore the advice given (after you asked for it) then I doubt many are going to spend much time trying to help.

Go ahead and get an EDF. I wish you luck.

Ken
Old 05-11-2011, 04:45 PM
electricrc68
Banned

you are going to need a high wing trainer. why not the switch? after you are done with the high wing, you can move the wings down.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:50 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kaianuanu

hello?

Tell us what you WANT to hear. Obviously, you don't understand that EDF Jet is just not the way to go to learn to fly RC.

Take the advice offered.. get a stable trainer and get started that way.

You obviously are persistent, which is a good thing. This means that you will learn on something that will "teach" you to fly RC.. then you can move up into something "more sexy".

CGr.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM
kaianuanu

Well if you guys tell me i will not be successful with that trainer edf then I will probably give up and just get a Losi Desert Truck. I dont want to waste time and money.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Campgems

ORIGINAL: airtime82

How did you post this so quick? My sides are hurting from laughing. Then Igo to read the following post and it followed the script to a T ABsolutely Great.

Don
Old 05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Well if you guys tell me i will not be successful with that trainer edf then I will probably give up and just get a Losi Desert Truck. I dont want to waste time and money.
hey, im into rc cars too. nothing wrong with that. but if you don't want to start off easy and then move up, planes aren't for you. their just trying to save you money. and get you on the right track thats all. if you want an EDF, so be it. don't come back crying when you crash that thing into pieces the first second you have it.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM
CGRetired

airtime82

That video says it all.

kaianuanu The Diablo may look slick, but it is way unerpowered for what it is and adding the upgrades to it does not do it much justice. It just isn't what it is shown to be in that video.

There are many trainer type aircraft that will get you started. Then you can skip right by the Diablo and move into something that is more to your liking... or go back to cars and trucks.. your call.

CGr.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:21 PM
DeferredDefect

Seriously though, a simple balsa trainer is actually "cooler" than you think. First off, you will have a far easier time learning on it, and then when you do, you can still to aerobatics and fly very quickly. I'd be willing to bet a 40 sized trainer at full throttle in a shallow dive is faster than most of your cars!

You will learn much more through this route than going straight to the jet. Not to mention, you will have much more fun, as you will most likely have more success early on. Crashing and destroying an EDF will do nothing to encourage this hobby to you, and as you stated, this (aviation) is something you really would be interested in pursuing for a career.  After all; What is cooler? A "boring" trainer, or a pile of shredded balsa, foam, and EDF unit?

Don't scrap the idea of getting a jet either - work towards it and it will be achievable very quickly. 

Look at an aircraft such as the Sig Kadet Seniorita, a Nexstar Mini, etc. These will be a good, low pricepoint aircraft similar in size and performance in what you are looking for. 

Hope this helps!

Graeme
Old 05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Campgems

Yeh, what is cooler? Having a great looking plane that you can't control and crash the first time, or having a not so cool looking plane that you can fly the wings off of. One shows every one how cool your money is and the other shows how cool you are. Your choice.

Don

PS, guys you realize that someone with a lot more experience than most of us hasHADus "again". It is a good laugh though.

Don
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
scooterinvegas

That video was funny!

Flying is FUN. You dont have to start out with a 100 mph jet. Get a Super Cub LP from your local hobby shop or order one from Horizon hobby. There fun AND easy to fly. Once you master it, you can move on from there (T-28).
Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 AM
ATVAlliance

If you want something "jetlike" but "might" be possible to start out on...Get yourself one of the Stryker pusher jets.

IF you have someone that can set it up for you and lower the rates...I think you MIGHT be able to learn on one.  However, they are definitely a lot more nimble and faster than a typical 40 sized high wing trainer.

In the blink of an eye you can go from flying to an unrecoverable crash!  But depending on the speed of impact...you could probably glue the pieces back together and be flying again the same day.

I flew my F27C Stryker solo after only flying my trainer 3 or 4 times.  Not sure how it would have turned out if I had not of taken a few laps with the high wing trainer first.  Also, I put in a lot of hours on the SIM first so my hand/eye coordination and orientation skills were pretty good.

Another thing about anything you will have RTF that is 200 bucks or less...its going to be small.  Take that fact, along with most jets are capable of flying well over 50MPH and are as nimble as a jack rabbit...its just a good equation for a disaster.  Hopefully the only thing that gets hurt is your wallet.

Goodluck, with whatever it is you choose to do.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:35 AM
wings

I've been flying RC for about 7 or 8 years. I am by far a great pilot, but I aint bad, ya know?

Well, I took my eflite F86 sabre for its maiden flight a couple of weeks ago. The low rates on the elevator wasn't quite enough to turn as sharply as I wanted, so I just flipped to high rates.

No problem right? Wrong! I didn't have enough airspeed, when pulled the elevator back during the turn on high rates she stalled and dropped like a rock.. Lucky the only thing destroyed was one wing and some cracked fiberglass on the fuse.. The branches of the trees did a good job at braking the fall on the way down.[ ]

But my point is, I crashed an EDF jet on the first flight even after 7 years of experience an a garage full of airplanes.

Don't take offense, these guys are just telling you the truth. It's nothing personal to you, the fact is that anyone with zero experience flying RC is guaranteed to crash an edf on the first flight, probly withinabout 10 seconds tops! [X(]
Old 05-12-2011, 08:26 AM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

I bought a small foam F4 Phamtom edf at a swap meet for $20.00. It was beat up but still flyable and had everything but the lipo and receiver I had those. Now I have twenty plus years flying planes. No LG on it so I hand launched it. It scared the begeeses out of me because it was out of trim. Rolled right and headed down. I managed to save it and keep it in the air. If you are determined to buy a EDF go to a swap meet and buy one there for pennies on the dollar.

I guarantee if it survives the takeoff or hand launch you will still BASH it. You just don't have the skill or knowledge to fly it.

The advice given by the others above is sound advice. Many clubs have club trainers get with one of them and actually FLY a trainer on a buddy box. Like previously said odds are it will be faster than your cars. Most trainers cruise flat and level at over 40MPH.

I have seen this so many times. Someone wants to buy something to start out with that is WAY out of their skill set. Try to fly it alone bash it. Then give up. Never realizing he went about it all wrong. Then whine "I can't do that" or my favorite "My plane is junk it did not work right."

Most of the time I will carry my Falcon 56 with me. I can use it as a trainer. So I can take someone up and let them try it.

Learn the right way and you can enjoy this hobby for a lifetime.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
kaianuanu

What is a really inexpensive trainer that is still decent? I'm thinking about getting the jet for my b-day, and using my extra gift money on a cheap trainer. I know it will take some serious self discipline to leave an RTF jet hanging as a decoration for weeks. Hey, is it possible for me to get one of those EDF jets from nitroplanes.com, and use the radio system on a ARF trainer? or vice versa? If so, what type of ARF trainer would you recommend for this? I am looking for $80 or under but $100 may be doable.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
kaianuanu

Or could I possibly build a small simple balsa trainer for under $80 for all including electronics except for radio? I think i might be capable of this.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:16 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Or could I possibly build a small simple balsa trainer for under $80 for all including electronics except for radio? I think i might be capable of this.
You're not going to be able toput togethera trainer for less than $80. You can buy a trainerARF from Tower Hobbies for about $80, but that doesn't include your engine or radio.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCAS2&P=7

They do sell a combo that includes the plane, radio, and engine for $279 but that is currently unavailable on thier website.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCXF4**&P=7

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.