Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What to do with my .049

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What to do with my .049

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:01 AM
mckibben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with my .049

I have been flying for 5 years now. It's unreal the amount of stuf one has. I have four .049 cox motors. and would rather use them and not sell them. It is hard for me to have something and not use it. I need some ideals on planes ect. to put them in. Rc-control line- gliders. I am a builder by heart. Not to many of us left. It's buy and fly now days. Thanks for reading this Tom
Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
oldtyme

Default RE: What to do with my .049

Hi Tom,

What I did with my .049 is mount it in the nose of a glider. Once it runs out of fuel, it's a nice quiet relaxed flight.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I used mine in a glider and some of the 2 channel House of Balsa kits. If you have any of the TEE DEEs I made up some fuel tanks from those little shampoo bottels from hotels so I had longer powered flights. Once the tanks are dry they are gliders too or free flights with controls. A lot of fun.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the 1/2A forum. Those guys likely know of all sorts of plans and kits appropriate for an .049.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 PM
cutaway

A Charybdis is easy/quick to make and a hoot to watch ummm..."fly"
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have a box of old Cox .049's laying around. They're all that's left from the plastic planes I had as a kid. I have been thinking it shouldn't be too hard to mount one on the front of one of those styrofoam gliders you can get at the toy store. The ones that have about a 3 foot wingspan. Strengthen it with some of that reinforced strapping tape, modify the rudder and elevator to function, and mount a radio system with micro servos. You could cut the nose off flat and epoxy a thin plywood firewall on to mount the engine to.

Could be a fun, cheap-o plane to putter around with! Probably have to guess at the balance point though. But that's part of the fun!