Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

anyone use this servo?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

anyone use this servo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:27 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: anyone use this servo?

Never had any issue with Hitec servos. Did have issue with JR servo as well as Hangar 9's servos which come installed on H9's P51 Mustang PTS MK II.

Gonna use the hobbypartz servos which I mentioned in earlier post and would see how do they work.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thomas-ralph

Going to try the hitec HS 55 i think
Those are certainly micro servos, and weak ones only meant for indoor foamies. There are other much better servos offered from Hitech.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 AM
thomas-ralph

I just found some brand new  hobby king hk15178 servos in the packets ill try those - they will do i supose!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM
jetmech05

I am not spreading fear or rumors......but if the leading manufacturers make the same basic product for the same basic price......then some one else comes along makes a product for a lot less.....well how do ya do that.....either you have cheaper parts, or cheaper labor...cheaper something...or the leading manufacturers have fixed the price.....
I am just not in the mood to gamble my airframe......but this is just my 2 cents
Old 05-25-2011, 08:49 AM
thomas-ralph

i would say that its only cheaper because the name is less unown - and the top manufacturers got hi prices mostely because there well nown!
thats what i think any way!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll stick with Jetmech05 on this one.

I own Futaba, Airtronics, JR/Spektrum, and Hitec servos. None, not one, has ever failed on me. And, for most of our beginner applications, the basic Futaba or Airtronics servo, at around $10.00 each, is well worth the price.

CGr.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
opjose

Except that all of those comments are WAAAY off the OP's original topic... which was

Has anyone used xxx specific servos....

The reply to that from people who had not used them was and is nothing more than fear of the unknown.

Jetmech05, you "gamble" with anything you use no matter the source. Throwing doubt on something you haven't tried is counter productive.

For less than that $10.00 I've been using standard servos with 130oz/in or MORE of torque from HK. The additional torque capacity adds to the holding power and reliability on smaller airframes ( and I've even used them on 50cc airframes ), making them better than the $10.00 JR, Hitecs, Futaba & Airtronics...

If anything the risk is with the cheaper name brand standard servos since they are less capable, going by the logic often used here of higher torque = better & more reliable...

In contrast I've talked about the failures I've had with four dozen different Hitec servos... I'm batting about a 10% failure rate on those...

Zero failure rate on HUNDREDS of SG5010's and the like.

So exactly - WHICH - is the bigger "risk" and "gamble"?

I also own many dozens of Futaba, Airtronics, JR/Spektrum, and Hitec... I've had failures with one in use Futaba, one out of box Airtronics, no JR's, three out of box Hitecs, six in use Hitecs, including Hi-Torque Standard & Large Hitecs & Hitec Mini's... as a matter of fact I've replaced Hitec Mini's with Tower's branded Mini's in my .40 Ultimates and found the latter to be more reliable...

And that's my $2.00 worth... not speculation, just the facts....

Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Roo Man

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

I am not spreading fear or rumors......but if the leading manufacturers make the same basic product for the same basic price......then some one else comes along makes a product for a lot less.....well how do ya do that.....either you have cheaper parts, or cheaper labor...cheaper something...or the leading manufacturers have fixed the price.....
I am just not in the mood to gamble my airframe......but this is just my 2 cents
One way they can "do that", is by cutting out the middle man. Also to really compare costs / price, you have to add in freight as the Futaba , JR, Etc. have freight included in the shelf price and Hk and the like add it. It could also be that they have lower overhead costs, those folks work for alot less than our folks. But in the long run, the market will dictate their success or failure. Can't continually supply a defective product and stay in business anywhere in this world.

By the way, I have been very happy with all the products I have purchased from Hobby King.

Gary

Gary
Old 05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some more hard facts about HK, D'oh! [:'(]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d588VZ94vR0&feature=feedu[/youtube]
Old 05-25-2011, 01:44 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opjose is right. We (including me) have gotten off the subject of the original poster's question/issue.

So, let's get back on topic here.

CGr.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:26 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

Here are some more hard facts about HK, D'oh! [:'(]
No "hard facts" there, just some speculation on the part of the video creator...

His radio was not in the shipment...

He didn't say if he e-mailed them about it, or if it was on backorder...

And none of this has anything to do with servos either...

Just more "Fear mongering"....

Meanwhile others are paying less for this hobby....

Old 05-26-2011, 08:30 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Opjose is right. We (including me) have gotten off the subject of the original poster's question/issue.

So, let's get back on topic here.

CGr.
Right...

I answered the original question with this response:

-

Jimmy

Both are basically manufactured by "Hextronics" ( AKA Tower Pro ) which is the trade name for Hobby King's hardware.

The HK 15288A is a metal geared variant.

I've purchased over a dozen of the latter and have found no problems to speak of.... however bare in mind that low end metal geared servos do have higher wear rates.

Normally plastic "gives", producing less overall wear... and this is one reason many metal gear servos go to more exotic metals to reduce wear... but that brings up the price greatly. These servos do NOT use Titanium gears or the like.

So they may not last as long as the 5010's, but you are still talking about decently long lifetimes in all likelhood they will outlast your plane.

Otherwise they are little different than the other HX analog servos.

-

No speculation, mud slinging or innuendos...

"Just the fact's mam..."