Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Fuel proof glue/epoxy?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Fuel proof glue/epoxy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 PM
stoya789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel proof glue/epoxy?

Anybody know of a glue/epoxy that is fuel proof? For example, to join two halves of an aluminum fuel tank. Picture related.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: Fuel proof glue/epoxy?

The pic didn't load....but why do you have a tank in two pieces? If its aluminum you'd be better off getting it soldered or welded
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ditto on the tank joining method. But any commonly available epoxy is fuel proof, as is CA glue.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 AM
im_a_rcav8r

The curiosity is killing me.  Repost the photo; I would love to see what this thing looks like.  The time, effort and likelihood of a leak seems like reason enough to just buy a new plastic tank.  Is there some reason why you MUST use your aluminum two piece tank?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
If you want to make your own tank why not choose tin plate and solder it together?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15445.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1619129  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 AM
ivyspoppy

ca is not fuel proof it nitro will disolve ca glue
Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 AM
stoya789

ORIGINAL: im_a_rcav8r

The curiosity is killing me. Repost the photo; I would love to see what this thing looks like. The time, effort and likelihood of a leak seems like reason enough to just buy a new plastic tank. Is there some reason why you MUST use your aluminum two piece tank?

The two sides of this tank are milled and then glued together, no visible welds are shown. The seam is overlapping, it is a snug fit even without any glue. Ibasically need some glue or epoxy that is nitro fuel proof. Maybe JB Weld would work?

But any commonly available epoxy is fuel proof, as is CA glue.
Are you sure about this? Nitro fuel is pretty harsh and can "melt" alot of stuff.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:15 PM
safeTwire
My Feedback: (2)

JB Weld just might do the trick! Great stuff when used as directed. I dont know what the pros use now, but I started using JB years ago to hold clutch lining's in place on Helis.

Clean both surfaces completely free of any oils, add the JB, clamp the tank halves together tight and leave it alone for at least two days.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

JB weld is about as good as it gets, but eventually it may leak. What the heck give it a try. Orange high temp silicone may be worth a try if you can trap a bead on an inside chamfer, but you may need a center fastener to hold the whole thing together. Hint: let the silicone get air for a few minutes after you apply it before assembly, but before it sets up.

I've tried several poly and epoxy fuel tank repair sealants (great for gasoline or jet fuel) and they failed in hours when exposed to glow fuel so don't waste you time with that stuff.
Note: ALL epoxies and dopes are not fuel proof but rather fuel resistant, with continuous 100% exposure they will fail eventually. They are fine for splash or spray but not extended immersion such as a tank. Stay away from 5 minute epoxy if it will come into occasional contact spray with glow fuel as most brands of 5 minute epoxy breaks down quickly when exposed.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 AM
ron ward

what about " yama-bond"?....
it's the standard for assembling 2-cycle crankcases, as in bikes and snomobiles, etc. the nitro dragster guys use it for thier engines. it's strong enough to hold cases together without the screws.... so they say. i know nitro will thin it when it's un-cured, but i have never heard of it being effected by nitro when cured.