Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Buddy Boxes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Buddy Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buddy Boxes

In Olden days, everyone knew that for a buddy-box setup it was necessary to use Futaba radios together, or JR Radios together, or Airtronics radios together. Now there are more transmitter brands out there than I can recite. Lots of RTFs are packaged with proprietary-branded 2.4 GHz radios.

Is there a list, or a method to determine Which radios can be joined with a trainer cable to buddy-box a newbie? Newbies always buy their stuff first, before they show up at the field to ask for help. Can I know if my radios are compatible without just hoping that nothing smokes when I plug it together?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:21 PM
scooterinvegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buddy Boxes

I have used old and new Futabas with JR's on a buddy box set-up. JR as the master. Takes a JR to Futaba trainer cord.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:25 PM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

I have used old and new Futabas with JR's on a buddy box set-up. JR as the master. Takes a JR to Futaba trainer cord.
with the "old" 72 radios there is not much of a problem, cords are easy to find, but with the newer 2.4 computer radios is another story
Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The only sure way is to ask the manufacturer. Some of the cheap new radios can't buddy box at all, and some brands aren't compatible with other radios within the same brand.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:05 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lately I just ask if they have a buddy box, if not SORRY, no help. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a trainer set up with my Futaba 9-C 72 and I use a couple of radios for the buddy box, an old tower 5 and an old Hitec 7. When I train we use my gear. I supply everything except the fuel. After that it's up to the student to get his own plane and gear so I don't worry about what he buys. If the student wants to use his plane and it's a 2.4 then I will pull his RX and use one of mine and set up my radio as the master. It isn't hard and doesn't take long.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 AM
scooterinvegas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgm762

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

with the ''old'' 72 radios there is not much of a problem, cords are easy to find, but with the newer 2.4 computer radios is another story
I have cords for both the old round plug and the small square plug. Hangar 9 makes them.