Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

When does the nevousness stop?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

When does the nevousness stop?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
JimmyZep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does the nevousness stop?

Ive had about 5 flights and my hands still shake and its getting
in the way of flying the plane.

I know in my mind I can control it but I still get
real nervous. When does it stop?

Jimmy
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
SharpProp

Default RE: When does the nevousness stop?

I've been flying for a few years and consider myself a decent flyer of both planes and helis. I still get nervous. I find the nerves to vary depending on the cost of the plane. My tribute doesn't get my heart racing unless I do something crazy, my 30cc sbach onthe other hand, about gave me a heart attack when I maidened it the other day. You'll find that your nerves will calm a bit when you get a second plane. Because in the back of your mind you know that if you crash you still have somethin to fly. Embrace the nerves! They make this hobby fun! If there wasn't a risk, there would be little reward
Old 06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
mike109

G'day

I think for me it stopped when I reaslised I could build another plane. I had quite a few disasters early on but I recovered from them and went on.

But, it was not until I discovered the Kadet Senior that I really found confidence. Here was a plane I KNEW I could fly and land anywhere, anytime.

That was some years ago. Recently I maidened a largish Spacewalker and that gave me a few jitters but once I had flown it a couple of times I settled down.

Gliders also helped me to settle down. Electric ones. And the Dynaflyte Butterfly which just floats around.

So if I need to settle the nerves, I reach for a Kadet or an nice floaty glider. If I want some excitement, there's the Somethin' Extra or my Stick with a Jett 46 in it.

Mike from Oz.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, usually after the second flight of the day, after I am comfortable with the way I am responding to the aircraft performance and after I've done about 10 touch and go landings.

In other words, for most of us, it never really goes away. We just get comfortable and fly the plane. There always is a slight nag in the background that tells us that we have to be careful... or else.

CGr
Old 06-13-2011, 04:02 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: JimmyZep

Jimmy
I was nervous off and on for most of the first year of flying and only once in a while after that and that usually when I am tired and really don't feel like flying. Most of the time I find that I am just not nervous anymore. After you put about 400 flights or so on a plane the nervousness subsides, your confidence builds, and you really start to have a blast flying, especially with the cheaper planes.

I rarely get nervous anymore and I am not sure why. I will rarely fly a plane that I don't feel comfortable with or that is way out of my skill range. My Revolver 59 is about my limit, but I can really take it to the limit now.

I just feel so much more comfortable flying now and I have only been flying a little over two years. In the late fall will be my third AMA membership renewal so just a little over two years flying at this point.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to force myself to not get overconfident, and take my time.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Jimmy
Ain't it cool!
That's adrenalin and/or endorphins, the rush, a natural high. After a while, if your lucky, you wont totally loose it, but get use to it, even crave it. Some guys push the limits to keep it......... or to get it back.
I've been flying ten years and I still get it when I fly my 180 mph speed plane with over 300 flights on it. After landing, I show my hands to the guys in the pits and we all get a good laugh out of it.
That plane is flown with 100% expo to fly smooth yet still have full defections, even so, when I get the yips I can see it in the plane....funny.

At 5 flights your still a newbie, but it sounds like you know you got it so you should settle down soon...... when you reach the point, don't think about it, Just Do.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had days where I've spooked myself good.  Not always sure why - but some days I can just tell I'm not on my game.  Seems to be with the hotter or squirrelier models, but not always so.  What works for me is a short first flight and then, by the time the model is refuled and checked over I'm usually calmed down. 

Certainly when you're first starting out you're entitled to be a ball of nerves.  It will pass.  The good news is that the times I have dorked a plane it's usually not the day I'm cautious.  It's the day I'm feeling hot or just being careless.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in my 6th gallon of gas, so really a beginner.
I still get nervous although I am very comfortable with my planes.
Getting a second plane helps, knowing if anything happens, I can have another one ready to fly.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your really lucky it will never go away. I lost the feeling some time ago, even on maidens and I miss it. Once in a while I will just be off a little bit and I get a little of it back for a while and I enjoy the bit of shake in the knees.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 PM
StevL

When does it stop?
When you start flying your buddies planes ........ jk

It will not take long, but then you push a little to learn something new and the nerves show themselves again, you start flying lower and lower and the nerves show up again. You get really good and get a sponsorship... nerves go away.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 AM
ameyam

Same with me. Though I have been flying for nearly 4 years now, I still get nervous. Most of the nervousness is before the first flight and, strangely, in the 2nd flight when I ususlly shake in my thumbs.

Probably I am too focussed in the first flight to shake and in the second, I usually do all my aerobatics and most of my mistakes. When that happens, level your airplane going into the wing and tell yourself "Relax, relax". I found it helps. It also helps if you take risks (aerobatics) progressively rather than all at once

Ameyam
Old 06-14-2011, 02:01 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive had about 5 flights and my hands still shake and its getting in the way of flying the plane.

I know in my mind I can control it but I still get real nervous. When does it stop?

Jimmy
When does the nervousness stop? When does the heart stop? Basically, same question.

No, seriously - it really never does. I've been flying these things for decades (since 1955) and there are still days that my first flight brings the nerves out - - and that's on a plane I've been flying since 1974, a plane that has NO surprises for me anymore. As time goes on and your experience grows those days will become fewer and farther between. If you fly enough (several times a week) it might even simply vanish for awhile. But let a winter go by with no flying and that first spring flight will bring them right back again, for at least a flight.

I came to the conclusion that it's a tiny little gremlin in the back of my head. I know my plane's OK, I know that I'm OK - he knows that there's a lotta $$$$$$ up there - and that's the whole thing. Not to worry, my friend. When ALL the nerves go away is when you start worrying that you're not paying enough attention.

BTW, welcome to what I've always considered the greatest sport on Earth!!!!

Dave

(pic - my 1974-built/flown Goldberg Sr. Falcon)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52531.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1623191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81378.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1623192   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92720.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1623193  
Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Nerves come from lack of experience. Experience comes from lack of nerves!
Seriously though, just keep putting the plane in the air, flying it, and you'll relax. Learn to "get in front of the plane" rather than just throwing the sticks around, and you'll build confidence faster. Have a plan when you fly. If you just go up, keep the plane from crashing for a few minutes, and then land, it will take longer to build the skills it takes to have confidence in your skills. Have a constant preflight routine that includes a thorough preflight and post-flight inspection, and you'll gain confidence in your equipment.

Brad
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Still get nervous once in a while after 15 yrs., but a tray helps me. I was always nervous holding the transmitter. Hard for me to hold the xmtr and make precise inputs. Things get sweaty in Alabama in the summer. After I got a tray, I could relax(and concentrate) more with nothing pulling on my neck and the tray holding the xmtr. Also try putting the fuzzy part of peel and stick Velcro on the back of the xmtr. Better than slick plastic. If you can relax with the xmtr., that is one less job to do while flying.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Going on 7 years of flying, first take off my thumbs shake especially right one for aileron+elevator, after gaining a safe altitude it goes away, second flight is full of confidence. First flight would always makes me nervous and maiden flights too.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM
richardgerardi

They never go away. Been flying for almsot 5 years and it still happens. Sometimes alot other days not so much
Old 06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
DanMN

haven't left for me yet. Yr number 4. Get into heli's if they ever leave. They will come back then, I guarantee.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

What is nervous? It's an inanimate object. It does what you tell it, unlike a woman. Now that should make you nervous! Think about it this way. If you destroy it that gives you a reason to build another plane.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM
exfed

If you're lucky, you will always have some nervousness when you fly. Professional entertainers will tell you they always have a bit of stage fright before performing. Flying an RC model is one of the most mentally draining things we can do. In time we get more acclimated and it doesn't seem as prevalent as earlier. Stepping up the complexity or investment (time or money spent) renews the jitters for me. When testing a new model, I find it helps me to spend some time thinking out my sequence of events before the flight. I think there is less pressure if you always know what you want to do next.
I had a professional musician once tell me that eating a banana just prior to a performance always tends to lessen the jitters. I don't know if it was putting some solid food in your tummy, blood/sugar balance, or if the content actually made a difference but it always helped me. When I used to compete, I would keep some bananas in my cooler for use just prior to my flights. Even if it doesn't work for you, bananas are a good wholesome food. Can't hurt.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:23 PM
kidcrashalot

Buy yourself a used trainer that won't bother you to crash. You should be able to relax so you can hone your skills
Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
hudmun

It's all part of the hobby. Practice touch and goes untill you can do them in your sleep. Your confidence will get stonger as you get better. Give your self goals like 3 touch and goes per flight then later 5 per and till you can do like 20. Remember It's a fun hobby. It's been a fun journey for me.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
jhatton

They usually come back when you say to the judges "The first maneuver will be takeoff" and the wind is blowing at 20mph
Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 PM
MetallicaJunkie

after a few beers [8D]
Old 06-14-2011, 05:54 PM
417mack

I am back in the hobby after a 15 year break been flying steady for a year and a half, I don't get to nervous with my toledo special after picking up the pieces when I decieded to put it in the only tree on the final approch and rebuilbing, and flying much faster planes I am confident with it. I am sure this confidence will cause another rebuild.  When the nerovsness goes it is time for more plane I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.