Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Maiden Flight Totally Bogus.......

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Maiden Flight Totally Bogus.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Maiden Flight Totally Bogus.......

ORIGINAL: BrianArtea

What's a buddy box???
It is where your on a 'slave' transmitter which is connected to the master transmitter that the instructor has by a cable. He/she also has a switch on the master TX that allows you fly the plane, and then take control of the model back when you cause things to go wrong - think of it like the second set of peddles and steering wheel that driving instructors have on their side of the car - it's to stop you totaling the car/plane.

Here is a great example of one being used ..... [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Xap-Uq5rs[/link]
Old 06-17-2011, 07:09 PM
OkadaKeisuke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the link to the control throws!!!! There's a lot more to this hobby than meets the eye. It seems to be much more than just a hobby, with that being said, me likey!!! I always like to be challenged.
I'm glad you like a challenge and see the awesome potentials this hobby has to offer. Some people expect that they can just buy a plane toss it into the air and fly around without a care. But then when they find out the harsh reality, they call it stupid as if they where ripped off and walk away very disappointed never to return.

You on the other hand, BrianArtea, learned the hard way, but then proceeded to reach out for help. You won't be disappointed and will probably enjoy every aspect of this hobby. We all go through rough patches as we progress through this hobby, so don't get discouraged.

Most of all have fun. And as said before by many RCU'ers... welcome to the addiction!!

~Noah
Old 06-17-2011, 07:30 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

really guys its a 3 channel ultra slow park flyer that can basically fly by it's self

should be a none issue here ....... . he shouldn't have to get someone to teach him to fly something really close to a toy .

I've seen total newbies pick up the park zone corsair and they flew it no issue , I thought the idea of the park flyer cub is so any random smo joe can fly it ? right ? the corsair is harder to fly also..

the post seems almost borad line trolling ..... I mean srsly am i the only guy who'm feels it's lameness is vary high ?
he ask question's almost not wroth asking... and hes 22 ? go to any where even the guy in the mall selling chesse toy planes he can fly the park zone cub and wouldn't post on the internet that he needed help and didn't understand the word " buddy box "

another thing I don't think you can mess up the CG on the super cub the battary cut out is basickly on the CG and theres really nothing you can do besides cut something or glue it to the outside of the plane

rember park zone designed the thing to be a toy park flyer for anyone even childern...

my vote erase the thread !!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

MR. Buzz.........just curious.....does that balance concept apply to fuel tanks as well? Or does one just guess that a thirsty racer should be able to run long past the timer setting, and land on vapors from 1000' out?

If you're interested, I've got a dandy closeup showing that inverted landing.

Yes, a wee bit of Big Ole humor.

It was fun having you guys at our fly - hope to see you in Owatonna later.

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
Did you check your CG? If the plane is not properly balanced even an expert can't fly it
Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: CottcoRC

MR. Buzz.........just curious.....does that balance concept apply to fuel tanks as well? Or does one just guess that a thirsty racer should be able to run long past the timer setting, and land on vapors from 1000' out? [img][/img]

If you're interested, I've got a dandy closeup showing that inverted landing.

Yes, a we bit of Big Ole humor.

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer
Did you check your CG? If the plane is not properly balanced even an expert can't fly it
your post makes no sense ....
Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Well you're not from Minnesota.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM
psb667

Patience. and get used to the smell of epoxy. happy flying
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The online store guy said if you can fly a lot of different models from a sim you can fly anything.

LOL!  You don't suppose he was trying to sell you a simulator, was he?

If you can fly three different planes on a simulator you're ready to fly a simulator.  It helps, but it is no substitute for real life.

That's like thinking if you can raise a digital pet and then be ready to train a live dog.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM
at101

this should help if the manual has no CG
I hope you like math

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2I5A...el_video_title
Old 06-17-2011, 08:24 PM
scooterinvegas

am now letting the epoxy glue mixture dry on the parts I broke.

Generally epoxy is not the best "glue" to use on foam planes. I'm sure there will be lots of different options, but I like the brown Gorilla Glue best for repairing foam. SUPER strong. I hit a flag pole a month or so back at about 40 mph with a foam type plane similar to yours. It broke into 4 separate pieces. The front half with the motor and battery kept flying for a bit. I glued it back together with the Gorilla glue, and flew it the next day after work. Good stuff for foam.

Maybe you just need a easier plane to fly, something like a Cap or a Yak...... Im joking........ Don't even Google either one of those. Really, don't do it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 PM
scooterinvegas

If you can fly three different planes on a simulator you're ready to fly a simulator.
Too Funny.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Its amazing how mixing in a little more MASS in a bigger airplane sort of changes things ...The simulators and small foamies just don't illustrate the effect of 5-50 pounds of airplane equipment coming to a sudden stop

When you bend and build piano wire landing gear you always think wow, nothing could bend these, ahhhhh how easy that wire will move with a 4 or 5 G landing
Old 06-17-2011, 10:24 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For years I've told beginners that if you try to teach yourself to fly, the "RC" stands for "rapid crash". Just get some competent help and you'll be fine. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:56 AM
willig10

Brian:
Take a little time and go to a local flying field. Look around and watch the people flying. After awhile you can seek out an instructor and while your there have some of the guys look your airplane over. Ask them about flight instructors etc.

This is a very rewarding hobby and I want to welcome you aboard. This hobby can also be unforgivingto those who go it alone.There are manywho are willing to help out and you willmeet many friends along the way. Get a little trainingtime in with an instructor and all I can say is watch out, because when theRC bug bites you it bitespretty hard. It won't be long until your looking for that next "I gotta have this" model.

Again welcome to the hobby and keep usinformed of where you went and how your training isgoing.

Glenn Williams
Old 06-18-2011, 02:46 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

#1. The guy that sold you the simulator saw you coming! What's he going to say? "This is just a practice tool and you are going to totally destroy up to 20 planes before you ever call yourself an intermediate pilot"?He saw a "sale" and told you what he thought you wouldwanted to hearso he could put cash in his pocket. Don't get me wrong! Simulators are VITAL to learning this hobby. The use of a controller is critical in helping with reverse orientation (the plane flying opposite of how we drive a car), and teaching movement and technique.

#2. Your story is one so typical of learning this hobby. Ibet 90%+ of every pilot out there has had his 3 second flight, mostly the first couple of planes. Icertainly have!

#3. They say, "buy a cheap used plane. Don't give it a name, don't paint it, don't pretty it up. Just check it out good, fly it, crash it and go buy another cheap plane"! Someday you'll be so damned good, you'll be sleeping with your planes instead of your wife (not always by choice).

#4. I'm on my 26th crash! (all documented with pictures unlike all these guys that post their beautiful plane pictures, I decided I'd keep a photo album of all my wrecks to remind me how pseudomasochistic I am). I quit this hobby every time I crashed but guess what..."I'MBAAACCCK"

#5. What happened to you is exactly why I'm still here. If this were a wham bam easy hobby, there would be 1,000 guys at the field every day. It takes practice, practice, practice! And then you STILLsmack a plane every once in a while! The challenge of learning, getting good, getting BETTER, learning 3D, learning scale, feeling that tremendous rush everytime you execute a perfect landingcan't be beat.Taking homethe same amount of pieces to that plane you brought with you to the field just can't be felt at a movie theater, golf course,or restaurant. The ONLYrush I've had was bungie jumping thathas been equivilent to this hobby.(real close second since my daughter toldme towear rubber underwear when she took me jumping)

#6. It's NOT a cheap hobby. It's an INCREDIBLE hobby that sorts out the pilots from the quitters. You can stay inexpensive. Buy some used trainer style planes, buddy up with some experienced pilots, look, listen, and learn.ASKQUESTIONS. The ego factor in this hobby will get youanswers more often thanyou want, lol! The first time I went to a flying field, these old farts were out there yacking this gibberish about ailerons, exponential, angle of attack, yada yada yada and I was bored out of my mind. What the hell were they talking about. EVERYTHINGabout your plane needs pre-flight, pre-learning, and most of all, pre-patience because the next thing you load besides your plane on the first year of flying should be some trash sacks because we ALL have brought home a plane (or SEVERALplanes) in a Glad Bag.

Hang in there. It ONLYgets better (with a few set backs along the way). Someday you'll be sitting at that table at the flying field saying, "Ihad to dial in 27% expo on the aileron travel and mix in some flap/elevator to keep my AOA at 12 degrees". SOUNDSKEWLDOESN'***?
Old 06-18-2011, 05:01 AM
seawatcher

Brian, I had a similar problem with a SuperCub a few years back, because of a defective transmitter. The rudder would go full over with the least amount of input, and stay there.
Horizon Hobby sent me a replacement servo, then a receiver, and said it was not likely the transmitter, even though I told them the rudder would go full left, when on the ground near
me, and I moved the transmitter a bit. After a replacement transmitter arrived, I took the old one apart and found that something had broken loose inside the case, and that was causing
the problem, including the first flight which resulted in a radical turn, which almost hit my wife, who decided never to go with me when I fly.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I learned in the "good old day" when you passed the transmitter back and forth. No flight sym or buddy box and no ARFs. Had to build everything. Started with a Telemaster and a Fox 40 with a gold box Futaba. Did OK until the "one more then I go home" flight. My wife asked me why I don't get a different hobby that easier. No I said, I'm going to learn this thing.
Now I use a JR 11X. fly GS and turbines and enjoy watching the new guys learn. Help where I can, and really get a kick out of seeing the new guy from last year tell a new member, no sweat it's easy I'll show you.
You will be there too teaching the new guy and remembering your first flight with a smile. I can hear you now. Don't worry I remember my first one and it wasn't pretty.
Welcome to the party. Dennis
Old 06-18-2011, 05:21 AM
CGRetired

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

#4. I'm on my 26th crash! (all documented with pictures unlike all these guys that post their beautiful plane pictures, I decided I'd keep a photo album of all my wrecks to remind me how pseudomasochistic I am). I quit this hobby every time I crashed but guess what...''I'M BAAACCCK''
This is so wrong. 26 crashes in how long?

The purpose of having proper instruction is to avoid such incidents. Imagine how more impressed you would be with the hobby if you had not crashed 26 aircraft in what, 5 years? I've been flying RC now for over 10 years and have crashed a total of four aircraft. Three were totaled, one is on the shelf waiting repairs. Of the three that were totaled, one was because I was flying in weather that was way beyond my capibities, one because of a sudden gust that caused it to veer to the right, my attempt to correct with the rudder was accidentally handled with the aileron.. and inverted, full throttle, well, and the third was because I forgot to raise the antenna on an older 72 MHz radio after working all day with a 2.4GHz system.

My point here is that with proper instruction, with a buddy box and with an instructor, all this heart-ache and expense would have, no doubt, been avoided.

This is why so many of us advocate getting an instructor. Sure, some cases, there just isn't a club around within reasonable driving distances. This is not the case with this thread. The original poster has several within.. well, almost walking distance. So, there is no reason that he can't get the proper help to get in the air without crashing.

During my training, I broke a few props, and bent some landing gear, but never crashed. In fact, it wasn't until almost 8 months after I solo'ed, that I had my first crash. There is no reason that can't be the normal for most beginners that post here.

CGr.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 AM
flyallday

The Super Cub is a great training plane and almost does fly itself. If you are using a sim, are you using just rudder? The good thing about a 3 channel is that it teaches you to use the rudder and will be very helpful later when coordinated turns are necessary. One thing, turn the ACT off. This feature can confuse the heck out of a new pilot. I added ailerons to my cub when I got to the point that I could land easily. I still fly this plane once in a while, flys like a kite in the right wind.

Harry
Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 AM
CGRetired

There are mixed feelings about rudder only, though. If the rudder is on the right stick, simulating ailerons, then you really don't learn rudder, you learn ailerons. If it's on the LEFT stick, then you do learn rudder and adding ailerons later on adds that to the learning curve, but it's minimal, I think. I don't know for sure because I learned with four channels, including rudder AND aileron.

I do fly rudder only on the sim, but it seems that once aileron trained, it's tough to go back to just the rudder. Besides, rudder only doesn't work very well for a plane without dihedral.

CGr.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 AM
flyallday

You are absolutely correct. If I remember, the TX that comes with this plane is left stick, If it is right stick, then it is useless. I would also agree that there is a learning curve when adding ailerons but getting your left thumb working early on is a real asset in my opinion. Just takes some time before both thumbs go into auto pilot

Harry
Old 06-18-2011, 06:49 AM
CGRetired

Oh, no doubt. As I said, there are mixed feelings about rudder only, however, it depends on what stick it's on as to how it's trained. Learning the rudder on the right stick teaches turning, but not rudder.

CGr.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 AM
DanMN

Quick question. What was the wind and weather like when you were flying and crashed? On a sim, most new flyers don't program any gusts or wind into the program, which is not normal. Did you take off into the wind? If there is over 5 mph of wind, the Supercub will be effected greatly, and if you don't know how to fly it, you will crash. You will most likely crash if there is not wind due to dumb thumbs. (figure of speech) SIM time is great, but won't alleviate the need for real stick time as mentioned before. Nerves are a big part of flying. With a sim, you just press a button and the plane is back in action. Not so true with a real plane. BTW, epoxy is fine to use on the SC. I used to keep 5 min epoxy with me at the field for quick fixes. It dries faster than gorilla glue. Weighs more, but will get you back up and flying sooner.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 AM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

PMERRITT,

"Simulators are VITAL to learning this hobby." ???

Well, not really!! they are a great tool, that can help you learn, and maybe even master some techniques, but they are far from vital to be successful in this hobby. I, as many others here, have been flying RC since before the RC simulators have been available.. I learned how to fly by using the "transmitter swapping" technique. One of the things I was told when I first started learning to fly RC was to sit in my living room with my Tx, and my plane in front of me, (facing away from me) and move the sticks, while watching the flight surfaces move, and Imagining the plane flying.. that was my RC Simulator!

Nothing beats a flight instructor, but to say that an RC simulator is "Vital" to success in this hobby is untrue!

Craig.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 AM
DanMN

Oh yeah, as mentioned before, go to one of the many clubs around you and find an instructor. Most will help you for free and it will save you much time and gallons of glue. RC people are some of the nicest people I know. Most are very helpful! Have one of the instructors check your plane out and fly it to make sure it's trimmed and flys in a safe and controllable manner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.