Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Very OLD Nitro Trainer Versus New Electric Trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Very OLD Nitro Trainer Versus New Electric Trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:10 PM
tennessee_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very OLD Nitro Trainer Versus New Electric Trainer?

I have been buddy box training with a very old RCMtype 60" highwing Nitro trainer that was given to me free by a club member. All I had to do was add servos and a receiver/transmitter(I'm using a Spectrum DX6i). I am very grateful for this. The plane is very old and heavy from lots of repairs over the years and it seems to have to fly too fast for me to be stable in the air. Landings are giving me fits because it always needs what I think is too much airspeed to keep from stalling and my instructor likes to fly fast all the time anyway. I would like a trainer that will landat slower speeds than what I have.

I thinkthat I will go to electrics only after I solo.

I would like to get a nice electric high wing trainer and I'm thinking a RTF or ARF (with little need for assembly as I don't have the skills yet) 60" wingspan or something close. Can anyone here comment on what my options are here for a good larger electric trainer?

Thank you.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM
DeferredDefect

Default RE: Very OLD Nitro Trainer Versus New Electric Trainer?

The Sig Kadet Seniorita ARTF is an excellent electric trainer, and floats better than anything in that size range. It's based on the larger (80 inch) Kadet Senior, which could be converted to electric if wanted. 

The Nextstar EP is a bit smaller, but also a good electric trainer. 
Old 06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tennessee, take a look at this thread, especially the second page. If this isn't enough to convince you, nothing is..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9412356/tm.htm

CGr
Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM
mike109

G'day

I learned to fly on a Great Planes trainer 40 which I suspect is the plane you have. I did not like it much and my instructor chose it for me as HE liked to fly fast too.

Later on someone suggested the Sig Kadet Senior which is the bigger version of the plane that has been suggested above, the Kadet Seniorita. I love both of them. Sadly, at the moment, I don't think any ARF versions are available but the kits were when I last checked.

I have five Kadets Senior and I have had a Seniorita. Mine was powered by a 30 four stroke and was perfect. These days it could easily be electric powered.

I am currently teaching three "more mature" pilot trainees. I use my Kadet Senior to get them started as it is slow, big and easy to see. It is also very stable. I was flying one a couple of days ago and it started to climb when the engine was idling because of some thermal lift activity. Great fun.

Have a look at http;//www.sigmfg.com for more info though I think you will find that only the kit versions are available at the moment.

They are not difficult to build and last very well. My oldest Kadet is now about six years old and still going strong.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
Old 06-27-2011, 04:00 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

try a 12x4 apc prop (asumbing it is a .40 sized plane and engine) if its a .60 try a 14x4
that should slow the plane down significantly
Old 06-27-2011, 05:27 PM
DeferredDefect

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Tennessee, take a look at this thread, especially the second page. If this isn't enough to convince you, nothing is..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9412356/tm.htm

CGr
Hey CG - I don't know if you convinced the original poster, but honestly, (even though I've seen and flown dozens of Kadets, all marks), that model is absolutely gorgeous!
I'm ordering another Seniorita kit tonight...

Tennessee- If you are interested, I would consider buying a trainer type kit to work on during your downtime. They are very well priced and will teach you a lot needed for later models, and more importantly - how to repair current ones! (Don't ask me how I know)

I 100% second Mike for his recommendation of Sig kits or ARF's. For their size, they are extremely light, and you will find that they can float around at idle for ever...

Happy flying !

Graeme
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Tennessee- Have you looked at it to see if you can lighten it up a bit? You didn't say what engine and electronics are there or if any lead has been added for balance, but they add up. Another place to save weight is the wheels and landing gear if particularly durable parts are already installed. Even a change of 1/4 pound or so will be noticeable in flight so it's worth it to trim ounces everywhere you can. You also didn't mention how the CG is set up. Nose heavy trainers land hotter because it's hard to hold the nose up to flare, so you may only need to shift the CG back a little to tame it down. I would make sure that the setup and trimming is optimal before replacing the plane since you do already have it and you can put your money into a more versatile sport model instead.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I train with whatever someone gives me or I have on hand. I have been flying a number of planes that have used electric motors and as long as the motor is of a size to fly the plane I haven't seen a lot of difference between glow or electric. The plane doesn't care what it has for power as long as it's matched to the plane. Pick any trainer you like and go electric.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike109

Have a look at http;//www.sigmfg.com for more info though I think you will find that only the kit versions are available at the moment.

The Senior Arf as relabeled by NitroPlanes has been and is still avalible.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/90a270r-g...enior-red.html

John