Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Motor Mount

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Motor Mount

i really like this motor mount, as its convenient to swap motors out... i looke3d every where on it and there is no markings on it.... got any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46166.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1637239  
Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 AM
rgm762
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Motor Mount

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN40M
Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bad to those motor mounts in the link are....the motor can slip in the mount if you have a hard landing and strike the prop or the spinner
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

the bad to those motor mounts in the link are....the motor can slip in the mount if you have a hard landing and strike the prop or the spinner
Which is NOT necessarily a bad thing!

Movement caused by impact, acts to absorb energy and may prevent damage to the motor shaft, etc.

I've had exactly that happen with this type of mount.

You just have to be a bit more observant with the motor position after a crash...

The upside is that anything which will cause the motor to shift, is going to do a good amount of damage.
A prop strike is not enough to move the motor if you have it properly torqued down.... The prop will go first.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:45 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: jetmech05

ahh yess ive hd that happen....i ended up with left thrust

Jose has some good points too

Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 AM
MetallicaJunkie

thats a little small []... the one pictured came on a used plane and my saito 150 fits in it like a glove
Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 AM
opjose

The downside to those mounts is that they tend to use a single locknut with a nylon center.

IMHO this does not provide enough torque alone.

I typically use a separate nut, followed by the locknut to hold the engine in place.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a number of them with no name I have picked up over the years and they are in different sizes like any mount. You can drill and use roll pins in them to keep the engine from movine around. Very easy mod. I have a number like that made from plastic/nylon too.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 AM
MetallicaJunkie

if anyone finds out where to get the bigger ones for 1.20 engines, please post here
Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

if anyone finds out where to get the bigger ones for 1.20 engines, please post here
Here is a couple of pictures of what I have. The distance between the mounting legs is 47.30 mm or 1.862 inches. PM me if this will work for you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70472.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1637604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82299.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1637605  
Old 07-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Gray Beard

I just went out and looked. I found a couple of them on the top. I stuck engines and mounts in a big box to make room under a bench. The ones I found either have no name or are marked as Tatone so those are old. I found another one marked as JTEC so it was made by JTEC muffler. I have one that has even had wood blocks mounted/glued into the slots and drilled for engine screws. Looks like a 1.20 so it would either be a YS or OS? JTEC has a nice web site, well, they did last time I looked. I haven't had to buy a mount or muffler in a while. Last one I bought was an OS mount for a 1.20, that mount was cut to allow the engine to be mounted farther back close to the fire wall. That's a very nice mount and the drilled and taped holes fit the engine perfect!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:52 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: goirish

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

Here is a couple of pictures of what I have. The distance between the mounting legs is 47.30 mm or 1.862 inches. PM me if this will work for you.

thats identical goirish! ill check out jtetecs site....last time iu was there it was very different from what i remember a few years ago
Old 07-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Gray Beard

I just got home from a road trip, first stop was the GOOD LHS. On the wall there were a bunch of the round clamp on motor mounts you are looking for in several sizes, not a bunch of money either. They are Hanger-9 and have no name on them. I also found one from Tatone for a 1.20, used. Doesn't look used but it was drilled and tapped, three holes per rail so the engine could be moved forward and back. It isn't a clamp on mount. $5.00, how could I pass up another motor mount I will never use?? Just give H-9 a call. Or, if you need a good Tatone????