Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

heat index

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

heat index

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 PM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: heat index

In Texas we don't need glow igniters this time of the year.   Just fuel'em and spin the prop!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texans.... geech....

Just kidding, of course.. Sorry

CGr
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...Well everything's bigger in Texas. They likely have onboard starters on their 1/2A stuff. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
electricrc68
Banned

i actually just got a handful of flights in on my ember! it was only 91 degrees though.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

i actually just got a handful of flights in on my ember! it was only 91 degrees though.
91 Degrees, hell I need to put my coat on...!!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:31 PM
electricrc68
Banned

lol. you texas guys are funny!
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Don't worry, according to Rush Limbaugh, the Heat Index is a government plot.
I see according to RCKen and Minnflier you are only allowed to post radical leftist political speech.

I understand now.

What hypocrites for deleting a non political comparison post but not this.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, here it is, a serious question. Yes, from me. Heat never seems to bother my engines, even on the days I think I'm camping out in front of the gates of hell. Do you guys think it more the humidity??Flying out on a lake bed when it's getting close to 120 and I don't change the tune at all but our average humidity this time of year is only about 6%.It just makes me wonder. High today was only 105 {normal} and 4% humidity.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have noticed that the humidity does more to change the settings in my engines than the heat does. 

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 08:54 PM
crustychief

It has been in the low 80's here all week. but it pretty much stays like that half the year, the other half is low 70's Brrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:08 AM
radius1x1

You want hot???? Took off with a 35% Sukoi and landed a micro Sukoi, Horizon Hobby would be proud of! My T-28 flew into a tree just for the shade!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:45 AM
CGRetired

Wow.. now that's hot!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 AM
telejojo

It was so hot here I saw a Robin pulling a worm out of the ground with a pot holder......................................
Old 07-23-2011, 03:34 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys can joke about the heat index and high humidity, we normally live with
temps in the high 90's and low 100's here in the south most summers. I know it's
got to be rough on you northern boys, but a word of caution, be carefull about leaving
planes and flamables in a vehicle, no matter what color it is as the temp inside of a
fully closed, windows up, locked vehicle can reach up to 160-180 degrees, on a typical
95-98 dgree day.
Not to get too far off topic but 2 weeks ago a mother left her 3 small kids in a car with the
air conditioner running and the oldest (5 yrs old) decided it was too cold and turned the
ignition off, mother was in beauty salon getting hair and nails done, came out 1 1/2 hrs
later to find all three kids unconcious with their face blistered from the heat inside of the
car. The oldest boy and his 3 year old sister are both blind and both seam to have brain
damage, but their 1 yr old brother didn't survive. Mother is being charged with 3 counts
of cruelty to juveniles, 2 counts of attempted manslaughter, and 1 count of 2nd degree murder.

We can all joke about the hot temps and heat index, fact is heat can kill, I know I had a heat
stroke, last summer, just about did me in, cost me 2 weeks in hospital critical care. So keep
hydrated and don't get over heated especially you northern guys that aren't used to it.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Wear light colored clothing that reflects heat more like a plain white T shirt.

Wear shorts and sandals.

Have shade available.

Have cold drinks available.

Wear a light colored hat.

We have an air conditioned club house with two refrigerators.

Avoid the hottest part of the day with the sun over head, from 1pm to 5 pm.

Drink water. Do not drink soft drinks or tea. Drink water.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:44 AM
CGRetired

Bill: Sorry for what happened to you and to the children of that mother. Living down south, she should have known better. It even happens up here.

We are obviously trying to keep it light by joking about the heat, as a coping mechanism, and I would imagine that not one soul here would ever consider doing something that would harm another person by being so incompetent and irresponsible. Most are aware of the issues with such heat, heck, we had a rolling blackout here in So. New Jersey, which is very unusual... lost our power for about two hours late in the afternoon.

I don't think any one here would joke about someone in the situation that you pointed out.

CGr.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 AM
cordell staker

well, it's hot. no global warming, but it's hot. Air is bumpy, winds are shifty, and my engines are cryin'. It's a good time to "self" thin the fleet at the field. If you've got your eyes on some new planes and such, this could be exactly what you have been looking for! Crash a couple and get your wife on board about your losses and needs. I have seen big softness on prices on the "Buy and Sell" forums, it's time to stick a few planes in the ground , get the model aircraft industry busy, and keep Japan and China from shuttin'er down. This heat presents a great opportunity for somethin' to dream about and spend money on! No, I don't have a hobby shop, just a fried brain dealing with my love for model aviation, and my frustration with thinking this is fun in triple digit heat.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:03 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Bad temps here in Va. as well because of the humi and from what I understand, will be worse next year and even worse the year after that. Sooooo get ready and hang on. Ha.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Bill: Sorry for what happened to you and to the children of that mother. Living down south, she should have known better. It even happens up here.

We are obviously trying to keep it light by joking about the heat, as a coping mechanism, and I would imagine that not one soul here would ever consider doing something that would harm another person by being so incompetent and irresponsible. Most are aware of the issues with such heat, heck, we had a rolling blackout here in So. New Jersey, which is very unusual... lost our power for about two hours late in the afternoon.

I don't think any one here would joke about someone in the situation that you pointed out.

CGr.
Dick, leaving kids and dogs in the car to die seems like just another hobby here, it happens all the time, I'm talking a lot. On the news last night the judge was just giving the mother here sentence for killing her kid like that. It's normal, no more thought then texting while driving. It's so normal I didn't even watch to see how many years she got. It's still early summer and there are already several cases being tried. Last week a guy got his sentence for killing there kid last summer, his wife is due a bit later. There defence, I forgot they were in the car???
Old 07-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

That's so sad. Seems like there's been a rash of bad things happening to children in the news lately, I just can't stand seeing those headlines. Maybe it's because I'm a relatively new father that I notice them more. Anyway, I think I'm the only one who actually loves the heat! I go running in it, I fly in it, I actually did some roof repair at about 1:00PM the other day- doesn't bother me. Last time I was in the middle east, I'd be drinking hot coffee outside even though it's 120 degrees, and I still don't sweat. But, I absolutely abhor cold- can't stand it. Can barely function in it. If it ever seems too hot, I just keep thinking about winter! [:@]
Old 07-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

That's so sad. Seems like there's been a rash of bad things happening to children in the news lately, I just can't stand seeing those headlines. Maybe it's because I'm a relatively new father that I notice them more. Anyway, I think I'm the only one who actually loves the heat! I go running in it, I fly in it, I actually did some roof repair at about 1:00PM the other day- doesn't bother me. Last time I was in the middle east, I'd be drinking hot coffee outside even though it's 120 degrees, and I still don't sweat. But, I absolutely abhor cold- can't stand it. Can barely function in it. If it ever seems too hot, I just keep thinking about winter! [:@]
Heat is why we moved to Vegas. Dry heat though. It really helps out the old bod. After the first week living here I was off all pain medication. sense 2006 I think I have only had to take 4 pain pills during the monsoon season. If I'm on the strip this time of year I hear the tourists talking about how hot it is here??? My question is why would anyone come here during the hottest part of the year?? I don't get it but summer is the hight of the tourist season. We do have a spring and fall but people come here when it's 120 plus on the side walk along the strip. The gambling and shows are still hear when it's cooler.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I live in N/W Ohio where we go from sub-zero in the winter to 90's + in the summer with very high humidity. The humidity makes the most significant changes in carb settings. Especially with glow. The extreme cold will actually make your glowfuel change to a milky white color as will the high humidity. If that happens that is the big sign that your fuel is absorbing water right out of the air. You must be very careful to not let the outside air come in contact with your fuel during the fueling process and never leave your fuel exposed to the air by leaving your fuel container open.

The grass is begining to have that crunchy feeling when you walk on it. We got some rain yesterday but not enough to help. Seems to be the norm up here for the last few years.

The thing about really hot humid weather up here is it draws out the deerflies and horseflies. I am extremely allergic to deerfly bites and swell up like a balloon. Deerflies are those little guys that fly pylon races around your head. I don't know why but they really are attracted to me. They must think I taste sweet! 2 weeks ago I was flying a speed delta at 140+ MPH and had one bite me right between the eyes just above my nose. By the time I got halfway home my left eye had swelled shut and it was starting to close my right eye. I was a sorry sight for a couple days.

SPEEDY
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

OK, here it is, a serious question. Yes, from me. Heat never seems to bother my engines, even on the days I think I'm camping out in front of the gates of hell. Do you guys think it more the humidity??Flying out on a lake bed when it's getting close to 120 and I don't change the tune at all but our average humidity this time of year is only about 6%.It just makes me wonder. High today was only 105 {normal} and 4% humidity.

It's the humidity, the day I was running my FS-120 the humidity was near 70% and the heat was 90*F. Combine that together and my engines don't seem to produce the same amount of horsepower that I would if the humidty and heat index was way lower. Any air cooled motor doesn't like heat and humidity. I didn't do a RPM or temp check, but I could feel the engine heat through my tru-turn a few minutes after running my engine. That doesn't normally happen in cooler weather.

I got a message for you Texas Boys, I got a call from the Devil and he told me to tell ya'll he wants his weather back.

I lived in Florida for 4 years and it's a different kind of heat. I could bare the heat and sun down in Florida, ( Lived off the coast) but the heat we've been feeling up here is terrible. I don't own a air conditioner except in my car. It was so bad I had to take a little road trip in my car in the middle of the night just to get a break fom it all for a while. When I turned on the air it hurt like heck until my body cooled down. In Florida outside jobs has cool breaks, in Liberal NY they never heard of such an idea.

My Father served in the South Pacific in WWII and he told me most times the heat was awful. Perfect Gin and Tonic weather he used to say.

Pete

Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

105 in Orlando Fl today
Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We're working on our second month of 100+ temps now

Here is our forecast for the next week

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63187.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1638858  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.