Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

heat index

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

heat index

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat index

125 degrees today! i want to fly but thinking its just too hot! monocoat might melt off!
Old 07-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: heat index

There is a point when it just isn't fun to be outdoors. We are having normal temps or just a bit below now. About 105 but only 4% humidity so it isn't bad at all. When it hits 115 I don't bother no mater what the humidity is, the fun factor starts going away after 110. Even in the early morning and late evenings.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We have the same problem here as well. It's normally hot here in Oklahoma, but this year has been something else. We are going on something like our 4 straight week of 100°+ temperatures. We've had several days where it was over 110°. And I'm not talking about the heat index, those were actual temps!!!!

With the normal heat we have here in Oklahoma we get out to the field early in the morning and fly until about noon or so, then we pack up and go home. But it's been even worse this year. It's definitely no fun to fly when it's that hot out there. Plus, it's not good on some parts of the planes. Covering takes a huge toll in heat like this. Plus, it's not good on electronics either. Some radios have known issues with heat, and when it's this hot it just gets them closer to having problems. 

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't worry, according to Rush Limbaugh, the Heat Index is a government plot.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I normally don't pay attention to the "heat index" anyway.

Ken
Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Kaos Rulz

I'm with you guys. Tennis anyone?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 AM
billd76

Well, I figure it's too hot for the gasers and nitro's and I'm afraid the magnets will fall out of the electric motors. Have to travel to Wash DC next week and then to palm springs the following week. Not much time to fly during that time. Guess I can just upload the sim to the laptop and take it with me. Maybe a park flyer for DC next week.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Gray Beard

What the heck is the heat index?? It's either 100 or not. Heat doesn't bother me very much, I moved here for the dry heat. I just really can't handle the humidity. It's only been 4% the last few days, last week was the end of two weeks of a monsoon front, the humidity was up into the mid to high 20s and I broke out a sweat. Our rich uncle put made me live in Missouri for a couple of years so I know what you guys are going through. When it's hot here I get to the dry lake bed before sun rise and pack it up about 11. If it's 110 out on the hi way it's 117 on the lake bed. Even in the shade of the van it is no longer fun. Our hot part of the day is about 5:00 so sometimes I go out flying for a couple of hours in the evening. Here it doesn't cool down when the sun sets, it just gets dark. My building partner in in mid state NY. Yesterday he was telling me when he went up stairs as soon as he was removed from the air conditioner in the stair well there was a spot where his legs were still cool but when he stretched out his arm it was 22 degrees warmer from his feet to his outstretched hand.
I'll keep the hot and dry thank you very much!!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:02 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Heat doesn't bother me very much, I moved here for the dry heat. I just really can't handle the humidity. It's only been 4% the last few days, last week was the end of two weeks of a monsoon front, the humidity was up into the mid to high 20s and I broke out a sweat. Our rich uncle put made me live in Missouri for a couple of years so I know what you guys are going through. When it's hot here I get to the dry lake bed before sun rise and pack it up about 11. If it's 110 out on the hi way it's 117 on the lake bed. Even in the shade of the van it is no longer fun. Our hot part of the day is about 5:00 so sometimes I go out flying for a couple of hours in the evening. Here it doesn't cool down when the sun sets, it just gets dark. My building partner in in mid state NY. Yesterday he was telling me when he went up stairs as soon as he was removed from the air conditioner in the stair well there was a spot where his legs were still cool but when he stretched out his arm it was 22 degrees warmer from his feet to his outstretched hand.
I'll keep the hot and dry thank you very much!!
Yea, when my wife and I moved from San Diego to Des Moines, we thought we'd hate the cold winters. When we got off the plane in July I got hit by the humidity and almost died!

ORIGINAL: Kaos Rulz

I'm with you guys. Tennis anyone?
No, it's too hot!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM
electricrc68
Banned

101 degrees. i think the motor on my plane will overheat.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its so hot out maybe I'll just take the model outside, lay out the roll of Monocoat across the wings, and watch is cover itself

It seems the hotter it gets, the nastier the mosquitos.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Gray Beard

What's a mosquito??? This is the time of year I like to cover a plane. With the high temps I cover the main color then set the plane out in the sun. Take it back into the shop and iron out any and all sags then do it again. It may take several times to get the covering to cure but when it's done I can leave my planes out in the hot sun for days at a time without it bubbling or sagging. That's what I call curing the covering. It works well with Ultra but not so well with Mono.
Mike, when they flew my young butt from Huntington beach to Missouri I thought the air conditioner in the plane was broken as we were going down for the landing. It wasn't broken. I was in front of the hatch when it was opened and the blast of heat kicked me back a couple of feet. What a nasty thing to do to a beach bum from Calif. Shame on our rich uncle. I don't think I was off the steps of the plane when I noticed my dress greens were limp and sagging. It was mid July as I recall. I got used to it but I never liked it.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:25 AM
corch
My Feedback: (1)

We had some issues this past Tuesday night...."feels like" temp of 108 degrees. Guy had left2 of his plane in the truck all day and then came out to fly after work. On his first plane it seems the heat in his truck softened the plastic guide tubes and they became "free floating" in the fuselage. His other plane the solder joints broke (elevator and rudder). Luckily all of these issues were discovered during preflight. Otherwise he may have taken home one bag full of planes.

I just made sure everything was secure and richened up my engines a few clicks, kept the planes under the canopy between flights.

Iflew everyday this week, except for today (rain and weekend plans) and had no problems with the heat. For those of us up north, we will be begging for this weather during February!!!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:37 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

If I go out to the field, I set the alarm, get to the field by 745, get in the air by 8, and start packing up at 10. It just gets to the point where its not fun to be outside, and if I'm not having fun flying, then I'm not going to force myself to fly.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:18 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to Oskosh next week (air venture), I hope things are cooler than here... Or that they cool down by then! On a positive note, I have been building this last week, my shop has air conditioning...

Gerry
Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
GerKonig

What's a mosquito??? This is the time of year I like to cover a plane. With the high temps I cover the main color then set the plane out in the sun. Take it back into the shop and iron out any and all sags then do it again. It may take several times to get the covering to cure but when it's done I can leave my planes out in the hot sun for days at a time without it bubbling or sagging. That's what I call curing the covering. It works well with Ultra but not so well with Mono.

So you cover, and then put the plane in the oven until it shrinks. I always thought that was the best way to do it (but had no oven handy)...

Gerry
Old 07-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

So you cover, and then put the plane in the oven until it shrinks. I always thought that was the best way to do it (but had no oven handy)...

Gerry
Sitting out on my patio in the direct sun would be like an oven. I do shrink everything tight before I stick them out there. I have been to fly ins for four days with my planes in the hot sun and they don't sag so I must be doing something right? When it stays tight I then put on my trim colors. When I use Mono I do the same thing but for some reason it still sags. I don't mind the sag but the Mono also bubbles pretty bad. I like to use Mono for my trim using the windex and for some reason the heat and sun have no effect on the trim.
I get out to the field about 5:30 this time of year and I'm out of there by 11.
Konig, My shop has air too and I do most my building this time of year. That's what I have been doing the last couple of weeks.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
billd76

ORIGINAL: scottrc

Its so hot out maybe I'll just take the model outside, lay out the roll of Monocoat across the wings, and watch is cover itself

It seems the hotter it gets, the nastier the mosquitos.
now there's an idea. I actually think it would work!!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:01 PM
billd76

Heat index here with 88% humidity is 128 degrees. Actual temp is 102. Pool water at the house is 96!!! Storm coming. Soooooooo, no flying , this must mean: cold beer and pool time!! It's a sign!!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Oberst
Banned

All I know... is my engines doesn't like the heat AND humidity. I ran my 4-stroke to get it ready for some Sunday flying and she ran a little hot and was a little sluggish on the top end. I leaned and richend the needle and she still was a little boggy at full throttle.

But on days that are a little cooler and less humidity my engines run like a charm. Yes I agree it's not good, and even worse- any thing with Ultra covering like ARF's will look horrible if the plane is sitting in the baking sun for too long. Matter in fact, the way some of our ARF aircraft are covered from the manufacture, it could pull right off the frame!

I had a canopy once on my Seagull 260 warp in the sun once. Now I cover my canopy with a cloth if the plane has to sit in the sun for a while.

Pete
Old 07-22-2011, 01:40 PM
CGRetired

It was 106 according to my car outside thermometer, and the humidity was horrible. They electric company just turned on the eletricity after a two hour rolling blackout. That's a first for me and I've lived here since 1994.

It's 98 now.. gee.. 8 degrees cooler and still intolerable.

CGr.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Hell, I sat my plane on the taxiway, went back to the pits to get a smoke, walked back over and the plane had blown up, balsa evrywhere, damn, went back to the pits again to get my transmitter, it melted and turned into a pile of goo, awe screw it, went to the car to leave and the steering wheel was melted and laying in the seat, I called a Cab and went home...then my damn hair caught on fire...
Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
CGRetired

Oh yeah? Well, I can better that one...
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
pflynn73
My Feedback: (20)

Flew a nitro trainer and a 4 star forty 2 days ago. 4 to 5 minute flight was max and flying with a 20 % power loss. Chicago is darn hot right now. I moved here from Vegas and this is much worse than 115 out there. Feel bad for the farmers.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heat here in TN isn't that bad on my RCs, but it is horrible on me. Might be a decent idea to park the van on the flight line, run the engine, and fly out the windsheild while enjoying the air con?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.