Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Firs Fun Fly/Fly-in - What to Expect?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Firs Fun Fly/Fly-in - What to Expect?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:44 PM
irdabrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firs Fun Fly/Fly-in - What to Expect?

So next weekend I'm taking the family and my new Escapade (if it gets here in time for me to build it - if not the club trainer) to a Fly-In in Wasau, WI next weekend. I've never been to one of these so I was wondering what I should expect and if there's anything I should know?

I'm going to pick up some chairs and a popup tent/canopy if I can find a good local deal. My 3-yo daughter and my wife are going to spend most of the day in the park, but I'm acutely aware of keeping the little monkey away from the "awupwaines!" (as she likes to call them). This is at a club about an hour from me that I have never been to, but their site looks nice and they look like an older crowd. I expect to be one of the younger people there.

I'll probably take my Supercub with me to see if I can give that some time too.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:56 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Firs Fun Fly/Fly-in - What to Expect?

Two things you may not be used to:
First, you may have to check in your radio until it is your turn to go in the pit and get ready to fly.
Second, If you're not used to flying with a lot of other planes in the air at the same time, this may be a new experience for you. At my club on any given day, there is usually not more than 10 or 12 guys there at the same time, usually only half of them or lessin the air at any given time. At the flyins, there can be up to a dozen in the air at once. Our club also requires a spotter for each pilot at ourflyins, if you don't have your own, they will provide one for you. If you're not used to having a spotter, this may be another new experience for you.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 PM
irdabrit

We only usually have four or five guys out at the field at any one time, and I've only ever flown with one other plane in the sky.

Oh man. I'm having second thoughts about going now.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:32 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: irdabrit

We only usually have four or five guys out at the field at any one time, and I've only ever flown with one other plane in the sky.

Oh man. I'm having second thoughts about going now.
Go. It's a lot of fun and yes, it can be a little intimidating the first time but it's called a fun fly. It's suppose to be fun and I think once you get over those first jitters, you'll be fine.

Each club has it's own set of "rules" that you'll need to follow at a fly in. Nothing overwhelming and it's geared for everyone's safety.

You'll probably find that the biggest challange to start off with will be the people there that you don't know but what a great way to make new flying friends! Flying in front of a group of people you don't know can be a little nerve racking if you're not accustomed to it but most of them, if not all, will be some of the most friendly and helpful people you'll ever meet. See, they are there for the fun too so it's all realative. It's not a contest so there isn't any pressure other than what you might put on yourself.

My advice for what it's worth is go. Load up the plane, load up the family and have a great time!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 AM
CGRetired

Fun flys usually involve activities that are just what the name implies.. a lot of fun. It's things that you would not normally do. Climb and glide, for instance, in which you take off, climb as high as you can in a given amount of time.. say one minute, then shut the engine down. Then you glide as long as you can and land safely. The winner is the one that glides the longest and lands safely.

Another might be taxi'ing where they put traffic cones on the ground with a start line and a finish line. You start at the.... you guessed it.. the start line, then maneuver your taxi'ing aircraft around a set path around the traffic cones, and finish up at the finish line. The whole thing is timed. Best time wins.

Then there is the maximum loop test where you take off, climb up to a safe altitude, and then begin a series of non-stop loops when the start order is given. You continue this for, say 20 seconds. Maximum number of loops wins.

There are other events, but they are all fun and not difficult at all.

Go ahead and enjoy the event.

What you will find, though, that some folks make planes especially for fun fly events. You will see all sorts of contraptions there.. enjoy the day.

CGr.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Even if you dont fly, go and hang out, you'll meet some great people.

Most clubs dont let "dozens" of people fly at once unless you have a 5000 foot runway like Hodges.

If you do fly, fly within yourself, don't show off.

You will be back here monday telling us you had a ball.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Most clubs dont let "dozens" of people fly at once unless you have a 5000 foot runway like Hodges.

HAHA!.. it does seem like its that long some days!.. Its actually 1550' and the event I went to there only allowed 10 up at one time.. Iam not sure about the others but the skies seemed pretty busy with 6-10 planes up at one time.. there were landings and take offs occurring every 20-30seconds.. it was a TONof fun and my FIRSTevent(Warbirds over Georgia).

Old 08-05-2011, 06:49 AM
irdabrit

Okay I'm going to go as my president and his son are going too, so I'll have some moral support.

I'll take the Escapade and the cub. The new Escapade will be here Mon so plenty of time to make it but will have to maiden it at the flyin.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM
pdm52956

Okay I'm going to go as my president and his son are going too, so I'll have some moral support.

I'll take the Escapade and the cub. The new Escapade will be here Mon so plenty of time to make it but will have to maiden it at the flyin.
You'll be glad you went.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are several types of FLY INs but if it's called a Fun Fly Event then CG described it pretty well. It's a fun contest and perhaps nothing you would want to compete in with a nice plane. If you look in the Tower Catalog there are planes like the Up-Roar or Fun 51 designed for these type of events. Cheap, aerobatic and borne to die. A Fly in may be several things. I was into IMAA giant scale fly ins. In the back of the AMA magazine you will find events and they have letters in the add that gives information about the fly in. {C} would be size restricted as I recall, usually 1/4 scale or 80 inch, 60 inches for a bipe.
Doesn't mater if you fly or not, most fly ins are a total kick in the butt.
Most fly ins also only allow 5 planes in the air at one time plus the pilot needs a spotter in the box with him. Fun flys usually only have one plane at a time flying. If you had two flying and trying to do some of the goofy stuff the sky would get crowded very fast!! Id does happen though!!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:24 AM
irdabrit

http://www.wausaurcsportsmen.org/fun%20fly%20%202011.pdf

This is what I'm going to.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

...The new Escapade will be here Mon so plenty of time to make it but will have to maiden it at the flyin.
This is not a good idea to try and maiden fly a plane at an event. If there are problems with the plane you could put a lot of people in jeopardy. If there is something wrong with the plane you don't want to find out when there are lot of people in the area that may not be watching your plane and would not be able to get out of the way. If you can't maiden it before the event then you should simply leave it at home and fly it later. I cover a lot of events around the country and there is one saying I hear in the pilot's breafing a lot. "If you haven't done it before, don't do it here today!!!"

Ken
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 AM
irdabrit

Logical.

Well, if i can't borrow the trainer I guess I'll just go watch or take the electric supercub.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Lnewqban

Agree with Ken.

You can always take pictures and videos.

Here is a photo gallery of similar event:

http://osceolaflyers.org/gallery.html
Old 08-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Agree with Ken here too. We dont allow maiden flights at our events. Either way, you should go and have a good time, meet people and make friends you can meet up with at other events. Its fun looking at what other people do, and you know rc'ers, we love to talk shop.
Edwin
Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 AM
irdabrit

Yeah I'll go, take my Electric Super Cub (which I can fly with my eyes closed) and just take pics and video.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Gray Beard

I forgot about that, all of our fun fly or fly ins required at least 6 flights on any plane before it could be flown. Events usually allow flying after the event is over, our events were finished at 5:00 so you could fly all evening, night flying too. I couldn't get your event to open, could be my computer though. You can call the CD and ask any questions you have.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
GerKonig

I tell you what to expect, it is the first word in "Fun Fly" (FUN). Take your stuff, if you fell like taking your model up for a spin, you do, if not (because they have more models in the air than you would like) yo do not. Either way, it is a lot of fun:-)
Never heard of someone regretting the fact that he went to a fun-fly:-)
Gerry
Old 08-05-2011, 05:08 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just remember that the fastest way to get to know new ( new to yourself ) pilots, is to ask us about our airplane. We all love to talk about our latest project. And as fun as it is to go and watch flying events, there is something special about being on the flying side of the fence. You are going to have a blast. If I were not going to be at another event, http://www.smmac.com/smmac/namfi/Nor...n/Welcome.html
I might drive out there and join the fun.
Here is another event you might think about going to. http://www.midwestwarbirds.com/

Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So???????? How did it go?
Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 PM
irdabrit

Well, I'm glad I went.
I didn't get much flying done. I went with a buddy from the club and my wife and daughter, and they enjoyed the sunshine. The Wausau crowd have an amazing field; something I wish we had access to here with a paved runway, properpavilionand so on. I didn't fly much because every single person at this event seemed to have years and years of experience and trailers full of planes, so there was very little time for my supercub, which eventually ended up grounded due to a motorfailure.
I bought some raffle tickets but didn't win anything. I did offer the younger guy with 10+ planes some cash for the nice trainer he won, but he wanted $200 for it, which I didn't have
All in all, a fun time and I will be returning for their swamp meet in October. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some bargains, but I don't think I'll be attending a flying event until I'm a lot more experienced. I just found flying when I'm this new in front of total strangers to be WAY too intimidating lol.

Oh, for the record. There was no "maiden" rule. I saw at least two planes being maidened at the event, but of course they were much more experienced.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:28 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

...The new Escapade will be here Mon so plenty of time to make it but will have to maiden it at the flyin.
This is not a good idea to try and maiden fly a plane at an event. If there are problems with the plane you could put a lot of people in jeopardy. If there is something wrong with the plane you don't want to find out when there are lot of people in the area that may not be watching your plane and would not be able to get out of the way. If you can't maiden it before the event then you should simply leave it at home and fly it later. I cover a lot of events around the country and there is one saying I hear in the pilot's breafing a lot. "If you haven't done it before, don't do it here today!!!"

Ken
What he said. We have a six previous flights minimum ruleat our Fun Flys for newmodels. There's usually a good crowd of spectators and a model into the seats would be terrible. As would tryingto trim a model while holding a pattern with three other models up.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Gray Beard

We only had the maiden rule for IMMA fly in events and that is all giant scale. All of the fun fly events had classes for the pilots, beginner and advanced. If you won a beginner class then you had to fly the advanced class after that.
Fun fly planes are born to die so people that are really into it bring several planes with them. I always had two or three Up-Roars with me thinking at least one was going to die.
The beginners class was always the most fun for me but the advanced class had some of the cooler tricks required.
Glad you had fun, a good clubs swap meet is usually loaded with good deals. I always scored good at the club auctions.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Was the event an AMA sanctioned event with a CD and sanction papers that pilots signed? If so ...no maidens during the event hours per AMA. There is a thread in the AMA forum re this. Just curious.....

Just looked at the AMA contest calender. Looks like it was a "sanctioned event"....
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Minnreefer

I am glad that you went, I am pretty sure that we are going to have a fun fly at our field on the 27th of this month (we just got our field back from being flooded from a river for a LONGGGGGGG time) if interested, let me know, www.tcrconline.com We have a paved runway and a wide variety of pilots, many electric folks at our field [:@] )))))))))))

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.