Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: A poll

Voters
660. You may not vote on this poll
  • I pay $20-$40

132 20.00%
  • I pay $40-60

169 25.61%
  • I pay $60-70

54 8.18%
  • I pay $70-80

80 12.12%
  • I pay $80-90

23 3.48%
  • I pay $90-$100

75 11.36%
  • I pay $100-150

75 11.36%
  • I pay over $150+ a year

35 5.30%
  • My club is over priced and i dont see where the money is going!!!

17 2.58%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

RE: How much do you pay to fly at your club?

$100 A YEAR.

Grass runway, sprinkler system, small club house with indoor plumbing. Pits have tables with power for charging. Runway is about 400' of manicured grass, I know I'm the one that cuts it every week and takes care of it.

Lease on the field is 1 dollar a year.

Club has about a 20 members with about 6 that fly consistently and the $100 a year dues barely pays the overhead.

Tim
    Be a kid forever, fly models.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My second club just an hour away is a year round permanent water site. This is an AMA chartered club that maintains this site and offers one day and sometimes two days a week in the water powered recovery boat.

This club also offers likely the only AMA site in the country with wonderful concrete wheelchair access all the way from the parking lot to the actual flight station.

Cost: thirty bucks, Value: Priceless

John[8D]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw69037.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	1654193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nh12043.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	1654194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ya58026.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	1654195  
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blhollo2

How much do you pay to fly at your club and what do you condiser acceptable for a basic flying field with nothing more than a 600 foot runway and a covered 40ft shed?
    Are you asking for a per flight breakdown or are you asking what the annual dues are and what those dues get you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh no, Ive being robbed. I fly at two clubs here in the Sunshine State, one is hughe, 200+ members, a 900x 75 feet asphalt runway, electricity, seven covered canopies, 8 flight stations each one with a starter bench, several tables at the pitts and a spectator bench. It is $160 a year.
    The other one is a 60+ member club with a grass runway and 4 flight stations with the benches and two covered canopies, this one is $120 a year. 
    Keep your wings level
    Club Saito Member #693

I pay 65 for one club and 60 for a second club.I dont consider the fees outragous or inappropriate.both fields are well maintained .my club up north is principally a grass field and we have a nice shed to store equipment and grills etc.we provide a portable toilet during the season and its mowed routinely and if we need some maintenance we organize a work crew.theres a couple picnics,and we pay 1300 a year for the use of the field which we have have over 30 years!

the field in florida is pretty nice as well.the city lets us use it and we make a small yearly donation to them we have upgraged the shelters to steel frames and this summer went green by installing solar electric panels as most of the members have gone electric.the club is very social holds events well attended with food.also toilets and regular garbage pickup.runways are beautifully level.all in all I love my memberships.the majority of dues I see around are well under a 100 bucks.but ya know what even if I had to pay 100 its a bargain..I also play golf and for many many years I paid to be a member of a private club.once I retired I resigned as I can play and fly any day of the week.the last annual dues I paid about 5 years back was almost 2 grand.so flying club dues are dirt cheap.I dont have to mow just show up and play.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I pay the mortgage, and I fly when the weather and my time off let me. I have a nice runway, it has cost some money, but I can fly from here. 200 yards from the shop to the flightline. It has also landed a number of hot air balloons at different times, and even a helicopter. Due to my work arrangement, I could almost never fly from a "normal" club field, due to the time it takes to get home, load up, and drive to the nearest field. If I only flew on weekends, I would get to fly about once every 3 or 4 months.
    http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm
    Sign over Ready Room Door: \"Complacency Kills\" - Thimk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Greater Pittsburgh ARCS - AMA Club
    $45 + AMA
    We have two runways, both paved, 90 deg apart. One is 640f ft the other is 400ft. We have a shelter house, porta-potty and starting tables.

The club is in the Hillman State Park near the Pa/Wv border.

The dues are a bargain, the company is priceless.
    Out here on the perimeter there are no stars. Out here we are stoned...immaculate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day

I fly in country New South Wales (our state) Australia. We pay $200 to our club for each year. Of that, $124 goes to the State body (MASNSW, Model Aircraft Society of New South Wales) and the bulk of that goes to the Australian equivalent of the AMA (MAAA - Model Aircraft Association of Australia) for insurance. Pensioners get a $50 discount and junior members (under 18) get a $100 discount.

Our club is on private property which we get for a nominal rental. We have a large covered pit area, a shed which we use as a kitchen for events and a store room for our mower and other bits of equipment.

Our strip is "grass" but that is being pretty kind to it. It is native grasses which are pretty sparse. Our pit area is very sandy and so we have covered it in old carpet to keep the sand under control. The strip is quite long and wide and we have very few trees to worry about though there is a row of trees behind us which cause problems when the wind blows over them and creates turbulence.

Our pit area contains about 10 tables with model restraints and there is also covered pit area for very large models and for people who like to work on their models on the ground.

How much does your AMA registration cost?

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Name:	Ki18744.jpg 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	1654255  
    \"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike Adult AMA membership is 58 USD. Your field is beautiful.

John
    \"Keep your controllines tight\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day John. Thanks for that. $58 pretty reasonable. You are paying about half of what we are for our MAAA affiliation. (At the present time our dollar is worth about the same as yours so the figures are pretty easy to work out).

Our insurance fee used to be somewhat less but a major insurance company went belly up and as a result our fees went quite mad for a couple of years. Initially, no other insurance company wanted to touch us. They were sure we would be crashing planes into people's heads every day. Fortunately as the claims came in over the first couple of years it became evident that they were not going to be paying out huge sums every day and the insurance component has been falling for several years. It has been pretty stable for the last couple of years.

Yes, not a bad field. It is quite large and as I said before, apart from the trees behind us, it is very open and a great place to fly. It is cool in winter but does get pretty hot in summer. We fly all year round. The last couple of weeks have been very pleasant.

The photo shows about 1/3 of the strip. It really is quite long and wide at the moment. We had a Large Scale Aerobatics comp recently and we widened the strip to make it easier for them.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

Name:	Fd92685.jpg 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	1654282  
    \"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

$84/year. It takes 140 members to break even on monthly expenses. We have a club house with an old donated TV, some like to watch football while they're out there just hanging out and two porta johns (apologies to the guys named John). We have a kitchen for the events, 30'sq covered area/dining on concrete, 15'x50' covered assembly area on concrete with 6 tables, 575' paved runway, paved pit and taxi ways, 7 starting benches, separate heli area, about 10 RV elec hookups, lots of outlets in the setup areas, metal containers for secure storage, wood and tin buildings for concession supplies and general storage, 5 club traininers, PA system, and handicap sidewalks from the parking lot all the way to the pilot stations (we have a wheel chair bound turbine pilot). About the only thing we dont have is running water. I fill a 400 gallon water buffalo we use for events. The kitchen has a fridge and freezer, 8 burner grill, and a refrigerated salad box. I think we got it good.
    (Except for this damn heat). At yesterdays big bird it was 108deg. We did short shifts cooking over the grill. We have 7 events a year that fund field improvements, a christmas party, and a new years party with night flying on new years eve.
    www.austinrc.org I didnt realize how much we did till I wrote it out.
    I've paid the same dues for just a mowed grass runway. Nothing else.
    Edwin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I pay enough. Right now I'm paying $40 a year on top of my AMA. I'll be quiting the Radio Aero Modelers Club for the Syracuse Thunderbird Club and then I'll be paying $75 a year. I guess people think that because we're in this hobby that we are rich? Far from it. This is no longer a rich mans hobby.

If clubs keep gouging me for club membership, I'll start flying at private flying fields with owners permission and at shows only. One thing though that's nice about Seaplanes is I don't need to belong to any club to fly those. Just a good inflatable raft or row boat.

Pete

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Oberst

I pay enough. Right now I'm paying $40 a year on top of my AMA. I'll be quiting the Radio Aero Modelers Club for the Syracuse Thunderbird Club and then I'll be paying $75 a year. I guess people think that because we're in this hobby that we are rich? Far from it. This is no longer a rich mans hobby.

If clubs keep gouging me for club membership, I'll start flying at private flying fields with owners permission and at shows only. One thing though that's nice about Seaplanes is I don't need to belong to any club to fly those. Just a good inflatable raft or row boat.

Pete
    hey oberst i agree alot of people are feeling that same squeeze..including me!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Free is too much to pay if a few members, acting under a veil as 'board members' interpreting rules and regs for their own devices, see fit to make life miserable for other members! That's why I belong to RCRC in Louisville, KY and not the other club.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My club is $100.00 to join and $50.00 per year after. We have 52 members and the money pays for the upkeep of the field,which is a closed landfill. Besides money, a club relies on the sweat equity of it's members. Be it cutting the grass or putting people on the buddy box,or running an event for the public, all clubs need the cooperation of it's members to survive. I ask you, how much would YOU pay if there was no place left to fly?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Oberst

If clubs keep gouging me for club membership, I'll start flying at private flying fields with owners permission and at shows only.
    $40 or $75 is gouging? I'll bet you're one of those guys that isn't involved in the club at all. No clue where the money goes, what it pays for, but ready to complain. Good luck finding a "private field" with an owner willing to cut a runway for you and put up with you and your noise! LOL!
    For a kit you are, and to a kit you shall return.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Our dues are $72/yr. Plus AMA. A good place to fly is more valuable than all my airplanes put together. That makes dues seem like an incredible value.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Our dues are $100. Our club is non profit (aren't all?). All our dues go toward paying expenses... mainly field rent to the land owner and grass cutting. We do not accumulate money in the treasury - we just have enough to get by. The club officers pay full dues and generally contribute money to the club beyond the dues. No one is making any money except the land owner.

Some of our members say we are too expensive, but our budget is simple arithmetic.
    Glow Head #6, UltraSport #70

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Three clubs in Wisconsin:

Pebble Creek Flyers  $135/yr + $3000 membership

Lake Land R/C           $75/yr 

Rubicon Area Flyers  $20/yr 

Arizona Model Aviators  $75/yr

Remember ... Every one of these Things we fly Comes with a Number, When the R/C Gods call that Number, it's going in a Garbage Bag, No Sniveling Allowed.
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brotherhood #24 & #43

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Our club dues are $50.00 Plus a 0ne time Additional fee of $25.00 for HAT & NAME TAG. (Seniors Basic dues $10.00 less)

This entitles you to a free lunch at all our events & a raffle prize (average value $6/7) We sponsor about 10 events a year.

Every August a GIANT PICNIC is held and all members and all their family converge on this Super picnic! This too is FREE.

We also teach anyone with an AMA card to fly. -They do not have to be a member or become a member.

Our WEB site is second to none. Visit palosrc.com Thanks for reading

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Depends on which local field here. The two in-town ones are located in State Parks. The annual park pass is $65; plus AMA membership. Now add the club dues of $60 - gets pricey fast.

One club doesn't require membership since the property is owned by the park - but the leadership members hound you if you are not one. Not to mention its a cluster on weekends. I'd rather pay for a private club without Park affiliation and tight area restrictions on airspace.
    -J
    Club Saito member #721

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Oklahoma Radio Kontrol Societey - TORKS - Has had the same field location since 1979, at the south end of Lake Hefner, inside the Oklahoma City limits. Property is Leased from the OKC Parks and Recreation Dept. @$200.00/Yr. Club Members do ALL Field Maintenance. OKC City has not and does not provided any assistance.

Our Flying Field Field covers 9.5 Acres. 1,100' North/South X 650' East/West. 250' X 35' Asphalt Runway, 300' X 700' Grass runway area. 3.5 Acres of Parking, a Portable Potty, 60 X 15 Steel Shelter, Seven (7) Large fruitless Mulberry Shade trees behind the Pit area, Eleven (11) 4' X 8' Work tables in the pit area. Solar Powered Battery Charging Station, 7500 W Generator wired for Pit and Shelter power.

Our DUES are $70.00-Adults, $60.00- Seniors, Under Age 19- FREE with adult membership.

Where does the money go that we pay for Dues.

$200.00/ year Property Lease.
    $90.00/year AMA Sanction #1648 and Insurance
    $900.00/year Mowing Fuel, and Equipment Maintenance/Replacement costs
    $250.00/year Equipment Insurance
    $400.00/year Christmas Party for Club Members and Family
    $600.00/year Cook-Outs at the field (Burn Ban this year has slowed us down)
    $100.00/year Monthly Newsletter, Postage & Paper- Snail Mail and E-Mail
    $ ??.?? ?year Runway Repair/Replacement Fund

We have a few thousand dollars in our bank account, enough for a small emergency, not enough to replace the runway or a major expense. We are very close to a break-even with the money we take in from Dues and annual expenses.

We are very PROUD of our Flying Field and are willing to participate in Work parties, Mowing, Free R/C Flight Training, (11 Intro Pilots) Flying Demonstrations for Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and DHS.

Bring an airplane, a Helicopter, and your AMA Card and come fly with us at the TOM JONES MEMORIAL R/C FLYING FIELD. Guests are Welcome, Common Sense Safety Rules.

Ken

Name:	Sq46141.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	1654430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16578.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	1654431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pu50882.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	1654432  
    kbkopy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oberst- I don't think you realize what a flying site really costs. Sure, if a landowner is willing to let you take a patch of his property to be your private runway without paying for it then more power to you, but I haven't found one yet who is willing to own property and pay taxes on it then not use it. Personally, I couldn't keep a grass runway mowed for $75 a year, let alone pay for the land lease. And it's not like our hobby lends itself well to dual land use like flying in a cow pasture.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

Three clubs in Wisconsin:

Pebble Creek FlyersΒ* $135/yr + $3000 membership

Lake Land R/CΒ*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β*Β* $75/yrΒ*

Rubicon Area FlyersΒ* $20/yrΒ*

Arizona Model AviatorsΒ* $75/yr

Ok...Wow! to me $3000 would draw the line for club fees that would be a no go but i'm wondering what in the world does $3000 in club fees get you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

Oberst- I don't think you realize what a flying site really costs. Sure, if a landowner is willing to let you take a patch of his property to be your private runway without paying for it then more power to you, but I haven't found one yet who is willing to own property and pay taxes on it then not use it. Personally, I couldn't keep a grass runway mowed for $75 a year, let alone pay for the land lease. And it's not like our hobby lends itself well to dual land use like flying in a cow pasture.

At the club i'm a member of S.W.A.M.P.S, the majority of the club dues go to diesel fuel cost for cutting the airfield and reseeding the runway which is a mixure of bermuda & zoysia grass.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast