Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What do you think of my trainer upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What do you think of my trainer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:06 AM
swaggoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of my trainer upgrade

i took a tower hobbies 40 trainer shaved the pitch out of the wings, extended the ailerons rudder and elevator. Also added a sweet OS fl 70 fourstroke engine and recovered
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47395.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1798828  
Old 09-06-2012, 06:27 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: What do you think of my trainer upgrade

I like it. Too many people want to be completely out and away from there trainers after solo not knowing yet how much fun a trainer is and can be. I left the plane stock but added an OS .90 FS to my trainer. I still use it to teach with and enjoy flying it myself. Love it on those windy days! Great covering job you did too. Yellow and black always look good together.
Nice Job!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:34 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice job. With less dihedral your rolls will be a lot easier to do and windy day performance will be improved. And I'm sure you learned some things about building and repairing that will come in handy later.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: swaggoner

i took a tower hobbies 40 trainer shaved the pitch out of the wings, extended the ailerons rudder and elevator. Also added a sweet OS fl 70 fourstroke engine and recovered
Really NEAT! Now you say that you extended the ailerons. Having a brain gasser here as I thought the ailerons were full length. In any case since you want more flyability, here is a suggestion that I use on all trainers or any airplane not a scale model. (If the end of the ailerons do not extend to the tip area, then use the portion already not an aileron.)

Recut the ailerons about 2.5 to 4 inches away from the tips. Insert a new hinge or two as you think needed. Then glue the cut-off ailerons back at about 3-5 degrees UP. Especially good for flat-bottom and semi-symetrical wings (yes I know there is no such thing as semi sym., but is seems to be understood in our airplane world )

You will find a much better flow as you make various maneuvers, especially tight ones. Landings will be much less likely to veer off at that last second, and take-offs will tend to be easier for a nice straight-out. You have modified the original, so you can give this trick a try.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I did something similar to my Kadet LT40 when I built it, dropped the dihedral down to an inch. It is a joy to fly, and I whip it around the sky with an OS52 fs that is running perfect!  I finally got the low speed adjusted so it can idle for a long time and go to full throttle without stalling out.  Love that plane.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dragged mine out and added a V-Tail to the CG Eagle.. now known as the Veagle flys great...
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
swaggoner

thanks guys im really new to this rc plane stuff. but i have 16 planes already and its only been 6 months. a crack habit would have probably been cheaper. and to you extra smart guys excuse me for not knowing all the technical terms. ill get there. and thanks for the advice on how to cut ailerons ill try that. and yes i think black and yellow look awesome together too. heres what im working on now its an old thunder tiger sweet stick 40 low wing. i think its turning out great. any advice or pointers?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78571.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1799202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91602.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1799203   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44272.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1799204  
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: swaggoner

thanks guys im really new to this rc plane stuff. but i have 16 planes already and its only been 6 months. a crack habit would have probably been cheaper. and to you extra smart guys excuse me for not knowing all the technical terms. ill get there. and thanks for the advice on how to cut ailerons ill try that. and yes i think black and yellow look awesome together too. heres what im working on now its an old thunder tiger sweet stick 40 low wing. i think its turning out great. any advice or pointers?
Man, you do move fast. Very IMPRESSIVE!

One pointer on the Sweet Stick. Many years ago before Midwest released the Sweet Stick, a number of us just used the regular .40 size Stick and turned it over to make the low wing version for whatever reason.
Mine had only one (I don't remember how it was called for) Dowel holding the wing in place. For a bottom wing, with gear mounted in the wing, well that ain't enough. It made many a flight, but in a Contest Fun Fly the dowel broke right after Take-Off, and sheared away from the back screws. They just don't behave very well after that happens.

Either 2 dowels, screws, or a bumper under the wing's leading edge at the fuse for a bottom winger. That made a difference.

In this day and age you certainly are a goer!. Enjoy!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:20 PM
swaggoner

will do hossfly

Old 09-10-2012, 04:38 PM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be to late but that big vertical stab usually can use a little support like some say 1/2" tri-stock at the bottom... faired in front and back. I wouldnt bother now unless you experience issue going forward.