Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for suggestions

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for suggestions

Old 09-11-2011, 06:01 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Looking for suggestions

My son would like an rc plane for his birthday. i read through a number of 'which plane' posts and I think we have settled on one that gets repeat recommendations http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVVX2&P=0
My question is what accessories would be suggested to get with it?
I have a lipo compatible balancing charger already.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Looking for suggestions

How old is your son and what has he flown before?

If he's new to this, have you had him on a buddy box?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 PM
kistner

He is 9. We are planning on joining a local club for the learning process. This seemed universally recommended as well. We actually stopped by today but only one guy was there and on his way out. Big air show in Pittsburgh drew everyone away.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

A buddy box would be a necessity, especially if you're going to use that Tactic system. If the club is already set up on boxes for one brand, you might come out close in cost to buy the BNF version and a radio from probably Spektrum or Futaba. At least 3 batteries will greatly help with the training times, along with some basic flight accessories like a ball cap, good sunglasses, and a caddy to carry everything but the plane.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
kistner

I do have a dx5e, would that be better?
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
jester_s1

Most likely better and certainly cheaper. You can get this BNF model for a few dollars more and it's bigger.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/super_cub...47486_prd1.htm

It comes with the ACT unit which I've heard mixed reviews on, but for a 9 year old who may just freeze when he gets into a an odd situation even after soloing it could come in handy.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 2nd the Super Cub LP BNF. Easy to fly, easy to fix.

Put your son on a sim first. Buy Real Flight 5.5, its a little pricey, buy after you and your son are flying RC and have mastered the sim, you can sell it here or RCGroups or ebay. You will get most of your money back at it will save you money in non-crashed RC planes.

The sim does not replace joining a club and learning from the guys there. It will give you both a lot of stick time at home to get your thumbs up to speed.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For electric, I would recommend the Apprentice 15e or the Alpha 450. I've taught about 4 people on the Apprentice, its fairly stable and buddy boxes easily. Spare parts are available from most hobby shops. Remember, 1 battery, 1 flight. You need about 5 batteries to make best use of your training day. I've not trained on the Alpha 450 but I like the Alpha series in general. Nice stable good flying planes. Most of my students get about 6 to 9 flights in on training day, depending on how many students show up. Just my opinion, but 4 channel training will carry you further than 3 channel.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2900 Apprentice 15e
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL2875 Alpha 450 (also available plane only)
http://www.valuehobby.com/ Some buddies in the club get their batteries from here.

Edwin
Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Lnewqban

Your choice may be considered a "non-acceptable toy" at a regular RC club; better verify with future instructors first.

My son started training at our club with a regular 0.40 glow engine trainer, under the wing of a club's instructor who used a club's buddy box.

He soloed in a few sessions and he still flies regularly at 14 (better than I can do).

Best to both of you.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 AM
jester_s1

That is an excellent point- choosing a plane that the instructors are comfortable teaching on helps a lot in the process! My club is predominately glow flyers but the occasional Super Cub shows up and the trainers work with them. The negative for more serious pilots is that without ailerons, the options for learning aerobatics are very limited. But for a 9 year old who will probably be amused by just flying around in circles for a good while and who would be quickly discouraged by long repair times, I think it's a great choice.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Lnewqban

Don't underestimate the tenacity and capacity to learn of today's boys.

I fly with some of them that are much better pilots that I will ever be.

When they want, they can go in circles, yes; ......but around us.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Edwin

My experience teaching kids is that they get bored pretty quick. I teach to a program that takes them to the point of handling emergency situations after they solo. Most beginners freeze when they get out of control. So I take them up real high, roll inverted, shut the engine off and put it in a spin, then give them control back. Thats done more to check their response. I give them about 4 or 5 seconds to gain control before I take it back. 99% will freeze, even the adults. But after a few times of doing that, they develop an automatic response. Its just practice. You gotta remember, after you solo, now you're dangerous. Practice practice practice. Learn to use the rudder, it makes a bad landing approach a non-event.
Edwin
Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 AM
kistner

Dang, that (Hobbico FlyZone Piper J3 Cub) was one that I saw recommended quite a bit and one of the lesser expensive ones. The supercub is not that much more but it adds up quick. And I would prefer brushless over brushed, i am sure that adds $ if I can even find one.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 AM
Edwin

Be careful who does the recommending. Theres a difference flying toy rc and rc the way we fly. One of the worst trainers I've run into was the Hobbico NextStar, glow or electric. And its touted by the distributor as one of the best. Just my opinion.
Edwin
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 AM
kistner

I had hit a few rc forums and searched for the 'what to buy' posts, took some notes and went shopping so to speak. The supercub was one that I had looked at, but so was the other.
well, in light of this info I may go ahead with the supercub instead. I have the dx5 already, so a few extra batteries seems all I'll need extra. Oh, and the flight sim program. That will help quite a bit as I know he'll be wanting to fly as soon as he gets it and we realistically will only be able to get over to the club on the weekends.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Edwin

Flight sims are good. It helps train your fingers. I didnt care for them at first cause it didnt seem that realistic. But now I see a definate bennifit based on people that have used it, then came to me for training. They advanced faster than those starting from ground 0. Your son will love it, and I hope he sticks with it. You should learn too if your interested. Our club prez and his son (14 now) both fly. The kid flys giant scale aerobatic and is pretty good. He started I think around age 9 or so. This is one of those hobbies that can be as cheap as you want, or as expensive as you want.
Edwin
Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 AM
kistner

I appreciate the help. He has had an interest in this for a while. We get the catalogs from Tower - he has been shopping for ages. he also had a few toys r us models and enjoyed them while they lasted. Hardest part will be making him wait to fly.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:34 AM
opjose

Many club training programs will not let newbies start out with foam or balsa Supercubs.

Cubs can fly very slowly, but newbies tend to have a problem with the tail dragger aspect of it. They also tend to nose them in on the ground.

In addition these planes can blow away in a fairly light wind, even if they are not weathervaning into the prevailing breeze.

Stick with a more traditional trainer instead.

In a traditional trainer, the front nose wheel tends to protect the prop and fuselage from nosing in as newbies learn how to land.
It also provides for better lateral control during takeoff.

Something like the Alpha 450 will be similiar to what an instructor will be used to training on.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM
rc airplane nut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: opjose

Many club training programs will not let newbies start out with foam or balsa Supercubs.

Cubs can fly very slowly, but newbies tend to have a problem with the tail dragger aspect of it. They also tend to nose them in on the ground.

In addition these planes can blow away in a fairly light wind, even if they are not weathervaning into the prevailing breeze.

In a traditional trainer, the front nose wheel tends to protect the prop and fuselage from nosing in as newbies learn how to land.
It also provides for better lateral control during takeoff.

Something like the Alpha 450 will be similiar to what an instructor will be used to training on.

^^^ Very true. The Alphas (450, .40, and .60) that I have seen or flown were all great flyers and easy to build.(I have built one 450 and 2 .60)

I saw a HZ supercub at the field last weekend, and even with a fairly good pilot it was nosing over and ground looping due to wind.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:09 AM
opjose

Also a bent or broken front strut is cheap and easy to find a replacement for, and trivial to replace.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

You already have the TX, so get the Apprentice 15 E or Alpha electric, and be done with it. I have both. Started with the Apprentice, then got the Alpha because I wanted a wood and coated machine. Both are great and highly recommended. But yes, definately get one with ailerons!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: opjose

+1

Some clubs also have one trainer that belongs to the club and is used for training new pilots.

It is worth asking.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:35 PM
John Sohm
My Feedback: (9)

Just another item to mention about R/C simulators, they are a big aide in keeping you sharp on the sticks when weather conditions don't allow flying at your regular site. For us in the north-east, sims help get us ready for spring after a long cold winter.

Also, there are a lot of decent sims out there. Real Flight is good but don't fall into the trap of flying with a cockpit or chase view because that isn't going to help you one iota when flying R/C unless you have your plane equipped with FPV technology. Remember, controls are setup to act as if you are in the plane. But when you are on the ground watching your plane come back at you (assuming the plane is in the normal upright attitude), the throttle and elevator work the same but the rudder and ailerons work in reverse to your perspective. Learn to fly from the ground view only and leave the game stuff (air combat, etc.) to those who want to pretend they're Bud Anderson or Pappy Boyington.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:06 PM
nbawannab

i have recently purchased a KMP F-18 fighter jet(air frame only) problem is the motor and ducted fan unit r not available thru KMPat the moment. the plane has a 44" wing and a fuse length of 68". the test vid shows the plane being flown on a3s but stated that a4s would be better,thats all info they gave. if anyone can offer any suggestions it would b greatly appreciated
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Edwin

You would probably get better answers in the Electric Jet Forums. You're not trying to learn on that are you?
Edwin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.