Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second Plane - H9 Pulse 125 XT?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second Plane - H9 Pulse 125 XT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Second Plane - H9 Pulse 125 XT?

I've been in flight school all season and I got my wings this summer. I'm getting as much practice as I can on my glow-powered Hobbistar trainer, and still enjoying it immensely.

I'm thinking ahead to a second plane, and looking at low wing sport planes, with the understanding that they don't fly themselves the way trainers do. I like the Hangar 9 Pulse 125 ARF because of the size and I think a gas engine would be a good choice, mostly for economy and cleanliness.

So, a couple of questions...

1. Is gas too much trouble for someone still fairly new to the hobby?
2. Hangar 9 recommends the Saito FG20 4-stroke gas engine for the plane, but it's a little spendy. Any other recommendations for a reliable performer in a similar size, two stroke or four?

If there's anything else I'm overlooking, please feel free to point it out.

Cheers,

grosbeak
Old 09-14-2011, 09:25 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Second Plane - H9 Pulse 125 XT?

I find gas to be much simplier than glow, you won't have any problems there. Any 20cc-size gasser will work fine. Look at the Zenoah G-20 or the DLE-20

As for flying, you'l also find that to be easier than your trainer. You need the self-righting characteristics of a trainer at forst, but one you know how to fly, you'll enjoy flying a plane that goes where you point it and that you don't have to fight it's desire to fly straight and level
Old 09-14-2011, 11:04 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id go with a 20cc myself... you will see that bigger flys better, but can be more stressful considering it is a much bigger inve$tment
Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Perfect plane and both the DLE and Zinoah are perfect for it. Gas is easier then glow. Horizon is the distributor of Saito and due to cost the Saito isn't a hot seller. You will notice most any distributor will recomend there products, nothing strange about that. To date I haven't seen one of the Saito gas engines being used but I sure would like to.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:32 AM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

Perfect plane and both the DLE and Zinoah are perfect for it. Gas is easier then glow.
+1

I have a Pulse 125, its a great plane. Its more of a low wing trainer, very easy to fly and land. DLE-20 is perfect. Put a 17x6 on it and change the stopper on the stock fuel tank. Reinforce the landing block with some tri-stock/epoxy, and tape the elevator. The Pulse 125 builds tail heavy, so the DLE-20 works well for CG. Some run two push rods back to the elevator (one for each side) because if you over speed the plane in a dive, the elevator has been known to come off the first gen 125. Horizon beefed up the elevator rod on the newer ones to prevent this from happening.

But other than that, its a great plane. I love mine.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a couple Pulses at our field and I am impressed with them. I'm a fan of gas myself and don't see why not to jump right into it. For the most part it is simpler (IMHO) than glow fueled. If you can run a chainsaw or weedcutter - why not an airplane engine?

The only additional concern I would add is that second planes seem to be the shortest lived of most pilots progression thatI am aware of. You tend to fly them a little harder - once you discover what they can do that a trainer cannot do sowell - and gravityeventually catches up with that testosterone high.

Arelatively expensive 4-strokegas engine is a sad sight when buried in hard soil. No reason it has to happen, but statistically . . . I'd strongly recommend a 2-stroke for that reason.

I have a Saratoga 40 with a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro and that seems to be an ideal second model choice. Or an ideal 20th model choice. Just put floats on mine and a whole new world opened up.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 AM
grosbeak

Thanks for the responses, folks. All signs point to the DLE-20, so that's what I'm aiming for.

Charile, Iappreciate the information. Iam generally a cautious pilot and I like to know the basics really well before Istart on the advanced stuff.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: grosbeak

Thanks for the responses, folks. All signs point to the DLE-20, so that's what I'm aiming for.

Charile, I appreciate the information. I am generally a cautious pilot and I like to know the basics really well before I start on the advanced stuff.

I was reading about that exact motor combo elsewhere, and from what all who had it were saying, it sounds like a real "hoot" of a motor/plane combo ("The Pulse 125 with a DLE 20 is a rocket ship with unlimited vertical when really wound up. But at 1/2 or 1/4 throttle it is a sweet heart")
More info here: [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8922593/mpage_13/key_/tm.htm[/link]
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 AM
grosbeak

The pulse is home!

Looks like it's got the newer tail... and taped elevators.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM
kiwibob72

Can't wait to hear how she goes together, and how she flies as a "2nd plane"
Old 10-01-2011, 07:16 AM
charlie1960

If it flys like the 40 size, you'll love it.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM
kwblake

I went from my trainer to a Pulse .40, but only so I could use the engine from the trainer.  The Pulse is just a blast to fly.  I am not a seasoned vet. by any stretch, but it IS easier to fly than the trainer.

Enjoy
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Clay Walters

I have a DLE-20 in my Pulse 125 and can report it flys nicely with it but I found the install inconvenient due to space limitations. The stock gear sweeps too far back for grass but is reported to work fine on pavement. I've never flown off pavement and cannot say myself. But I think the DLE-20 is overkill on this plane and would imagine a nice 120 four-stroke would have been better.

If you fly it constantly you will enjoy the fuel savings. Consider dual elevator rods as well.

Good luck with your Pulse,

Clay

The included nylon engine mounts broke on a hard landing and I've gone back with a cast aluminum mount.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19609.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1669873  
Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
grosbeak

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

I have a DLE-20 in my Pulse 125 and can report it flys nicely with it but I found the install inconvenient due to space limitations. The stock gear sweeps too far back for grass but is reported to work fine on pavement. I've never flown off pavement and cannot say myself. But I think the DLE-20 is overkill on this plane and would imagine a nice 120 four-stroke would have been better.

If you fly it constantly you will enjoy the fuel savings. Consider dual elevator rods as well.
Hmm... yours is the first opinion I've seen that the DLE 20 and the Pulse 125 are not well matched.

The work has begun! I'm going to reverse the landing gear and mod the wheel pants. And the dual elevator rods - upgraded to 4-40 - are already installed. I've upgraded the rudder rod to 4-40 as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I had the Pulse with a Saito 115. It flew great but was just a little under powered. If I were to put another 4 stroke on the Pulse 125, it would be a Saito 150.

The DLE20 is a little more than the Pulse needs, but you get all the benefits to 2-stroke gas. Very low fuel cost, easy starting, long flight times and NO SLIME to clean off the plane. [8D]
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM
kwblake

Maybe leave the wheel pants off for the first few flights. I have flown my 40 size about a half dozen times, and will put the pants on in the spring, when I start flying again.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Clay Walters

ORIGINAL: grosbeak

Hmm... yours is the first opinion I've seen that the DLE 20 and the Pulse 125 are not well matched.

The work has begun! I'm going to reverse the landing gear and mod the wheel pants. And the dual elevator rods - upgraded to 4-40 - are already installed. I've upgraded the rudder rod to 4-40 as well.
Make no mistake; I love mine and its a great combo. Just way more power than it needs. BTW, the plastic mounts that came with the plane snapped clean off on a hard landing and I've gone back with H9 aluminum mounts.

Regards,

Clay
Old 10-11-2011, 06:24 PM
grosbeak

The DLE 20 manual recommends a Du-Bro mount - DUBG1307. I've had no luck finding it, but it appears to be the same as DUB688. Did you consider that one?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 PM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

I have the mini and 25 (my 2nd plane). Love them! I added a 3rd bolt to the gear, and no wheel pants for our grass feild. I just wish the 125 had an 80 inch wing. It would defiantly have one then.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 AM
grosbeak

The build is well underway. Last night I installed the switches:

The dual pushrod mod is done:

And all of the fuselage rods have been upgraded to 4-40:

Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The pulse should be pretty familiar if you flew the Hobbistar. I liked the almost flat wing of the Hobbistar because it taught you to fly.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 AM
grosbeak

I had an elevator servo binding issue at both extremes (even with adjusted endpoints) and when returning to centre from both directions.

Last night I diagnosed the problem. Here's reference photo; below are the steps I took, checking after each to see if the problem was solved:

• Disconnect linkage from elevator control horns. Nope.
  • Remove tubing from first to second bulkhead, leaving tubing flush with front of second bulkhead. Nope.
  • Remove tubing from second to third bulkhead, leaving tubing flush with rear of second bulkhead. Nope.
  • Remove tubing from third bulkhead, through fourth and to the exits. Nope.
  • Enlarge holes in third bulkhead. Nope.
  • Enlarge holes in fourth bulkhead. Nope.
  • De-solder pushrod joint and try with main pushrod only. Yep.

I'm guessing that the path I chose for the pushrods wasn't straight enough and the friction of the bends caused the servo to bind. Joining pushrods to a single elevator servo is a common enough approach so I should be able to make it work without a second servo.

So now I'm faced with some choices...
Join the pushrods further back in the fuse to eliminate friction? Option 1.
Re-think the path of the pushrods? Option 2.

Your thoughts?
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: grosbeak

ORIGINAL: Clay Walters

I'm going to reverse the landing gear and mod the wheel pants. And the dual elevator rods - upgraded to 4-40 - are already installed. I've upgraded the rudder rod to 4-40 as well.
great ideas!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
grosbeak

I've since re-routed the push rods and re-soldered - much better now.