Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Don't do business with BananaHobby.com

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Don't do business with BananaHobby.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:05 AM
DrDave65

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't do business with BananaHobby.com

Too all newbies and seasoned pilots alike. Don't buy anything from Banana Hobby. Their prices may look good but their customer service does not exist. I am new to this hobby and bought a electric trainer 2 months ago which I have yet to fly. The transmitter I received with the unit is for a delta wing plane, not a trainer. I had told them this problem and wanted an exchange. But they did not respond to request for exchange. When I finally did get a hold of them they asked that I send them a pic of the controller. Without that they can't do anything. Well I did sent the pic and then had to hassle them for a RMA number. Got a number then sent the unit back shipping on me to the company 2 weeks ago. Never got a email saying that they received it. I got on customer support saying that the RMA department will get back to me. That was a week ago. I would think a company would want to make a newbie pilot happy, knowing that I will buy from them in the future. Once again. Stay Away From Banana Hobby.com.

I know someone here is going to respond saying that they receive their order without any problems. But wait until you have a order you need exchanging. You will go thru hell. And in the end the company will just disregard you hoping you give up.

I have dealt with Nitroplanes.com I love their customer service.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Don't do business with BananaHobby.com

Search before you buy.

Not like there isn't 1,000 post about Banana Hobbies on here.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:17 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Banana_Hobby
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DrDave65

There are similar complants about Nitro Planes. I have ordered from NP and had no problems but I do not buy the cheep Chinese RTF planes with the sub-standard electronics on them.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Hawaiian Hawker

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Search before you buy.

Not like there isn't 1,000 post about Banana Hobbies on here.

They would have a great/greater business if they improved their customer relations.
The only good thing I've heard/seen about them is Peter the flyer on you tube.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Check the CA BBB rating for them.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems there are only two kinds of people who have done business with BH.

Group #1. very bad experience.

Group #2, received the order with no problems. Seems this group does not post much or is very very small in number.

I have held off ordering based on the posts. They have a few things I would like to have, but scared to order.

Yes Nitro planes was right up there with BH but seems they have sorted out something. A lot less posts about them. I have 10 or so orders with Nitro and no issues. Brother has a few and so does my brother in law. I do like Hobbypartz. I get the stuff fast.

Buzz.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Seems there are only two kinds of people who have done business with BH.

Group #1. very bad experience.

Group #2, received the order with no problems. Seems this group does not post much or is very very small in number.
The fact of the matter is that it is human nature to complain vocally when we are displeased by something where as when we are pleased we tend to just take it for granted because that is what we expected in the first place. So, just picking random numbers to make my point, you can assume for every 1 complaintant about a company there are 1000 happy customers you will never hear from
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Nitroplanes/hobbyparts/nitrorcx/xheli are just as bad at times. Had a friend with an exceed RC and they didnt stock parts for it for 3 months, kept pinging customer support with no answer. Stick to towerhobbies... Honestly they may not carry many brands... They may jack up prices on certain items because they know its "hot"... But their coupons are great and the service is very good and they stock parts often... And they support their own brand very very well like flyzone/hobbico/duratrax/supertigre... Now thats not to say their own product line doesnt have flaws... but they will stock/support their product line very very well. Another is horizon hobby... They don't have the best prices but horizonhobby customer support for me was painless... I bought a nitro speed-nt from them and it came with a bent rear CVD, cracked gas tank, hairline crack on the front a-arm, and a dead steering servo and all I did was call them and sent them pics... They sent me all the parts overnight with no need to return the defective parts. Was very pleased.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:55 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

.........The fact of the matter is that it is human nature to complain vocally when we are displeased by something where as when we are pleased we tend to just take it for granted because that is what we expected in the first place. ......
Most sales folk and/or courses place it where an unhappy person mentions it to about 9-12 people, where a really happy person only mentions it to about 3 people.
That said, I feel that the internet has changed that game being it is now a LOT easier to get your feelings out to a much bigger group of people than previously possible post internet.

Still ..... B.H's reputation and the shear volume of negative comments about them, and what sounds like a total disregard to customer satisfaction is enough to put me off dealing with them, which is a shame, as I REALLY like the look of their newer 6-8ch 1600mm wide foamie war bird range. That guy Pete they stick on their videos is also another factor that puts me off, as I personally find there to be a total lack of an honest opinion on his behalf ..... I mean, how many times can one person state that they have "a beautiful, beautiful plane" every single time they pop up online!?!? - some are nice looking, but not all of them

Might just stick with looking at the locally imported FMS large foamies I think - least they work!

Old 09-18-2011, 07:24 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The BH videos crack me up. GREAT PLANE, AWESOME, Bananahobbies,com flies great, bananhobbies,com easy to fly, bananahobbies,com, 2200mah 3s battery, bananhobbies.com. Seems like every sentence has bananahobbies.com and that it is the best plane ever.

I may try one time. They do have a few things I would like to have. I will make sure I use a CC so I can reverse the charges.

Buzz.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Hawaiian Hawker

They would have a great/greater business if they improved their customer relations.
If they spent the money required to improve their customer service then they would have to charge significantly more for their products. It's a simple matter of what business plan they choose to follow. 99% of the people buying the cheap junk they sell aren't really into RC, they just bought some cheap little plane because they saw one at a park that day, they don't visit forums to discuss the pros and cons of different models. Banana Hobby is perfectly happy selling them crap then ignoring them if they have a problem because the vast majority of those people were never going to buy another rc product anyway.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: DrDave65
Too all newbies and seasoned pilots alike. Don't buy anything from Banana Hobby. Their prices may look good but their customer service does not exist.

Almost everything you wrote about banana has been written 1,000 times about nitro.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 PM
QSR1

I have deceided after dealing with both I will support my local, very well ran hobby shop.
I may pay more, but they know me, care, and support what they sell. Big fan this day and age of speaking with a real person face to face.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Hawaiian Hawker

ORIGINAL: QSR1

I have deceided after dealing with both I will support my local, very well ran hobby shop.
I may pay more, but they know me, care, and support what they sell. Big fan this day and age of speaking with a real person face to face.
Yeah wish I had a LHS. Makes a BIGdifference person to person. Iwent to a LHS on another island and the prices aren't that much more. Nice being able to converse with someone that knows abitalso.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Admiral052

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

ORIGINAL: Hawaiian Hawker

If they spent the money required to improve their customer service then they would have to charge significantly more for their products. It's a simple matter of what business plan they choose to follow. 99% of the people buying the cheap junk they sell aren't really into RC, they just bought some cheap little plane because they saw one at a park that day, they don't visit forums to discuss the pros and cons of different models. Banana Hobby is perfectly happy selling them crap then ignoring them if they have a problem because the vast majority of those people were never going to buy another rc product anyway.
I agree about that, the business model they use is not directed at the hobby purist. The problem I have is that they have a plane I want just to kick around and have fun with but I cannot find it thru anyone else. I will not order it because of what I read off this forum but I wish I could get the plane through another supplier. Oh well I have other planes I want thru the reliable places so I am avoiding the BHheadache.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:53 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Something I have noticed over the years. People don't bother doing a search about a company, they look at the super deals and prices then order. Then when they have a problem they jump onto a web site like RCU then piss and moan about it. How many threads are there on these web site dealers?? Before you order anything do a search, then try to phone the company, send them an email and see if they return it. Pretend you have a problem with one of there products and see what kind of reply you get.
How many times have we all seen this. There are warnings all over RCU about kit cutters and dealers. Google is your friend, use it.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
stevenmax50
My Feedback: (1)

When I worked for UPS I had a CS Manager tell our group one day that a satisfied customer will "on average" tell 2 people.  A diss-satisfied customer will tell 17.  That being said, I think you are taking your chances buying the cheaper chinese RTF stuff that comes with a radio.