Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need Help Choosing Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need Help Choosing Plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Iainhol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Choosing Plane

In high school was an avid RCmodeller and became quite accomplished - my inverted fly bys with my Big Stick were in high demand and always got people's attention. Well at 16, I got into full scale, then I went off to college and sold my models. Ihave recently been toying around with getting back into it, Ihave toyed around with helicopters but with very little success - frustrated with the constant tinkering and the demands to fly. I have decided to go by to airplanes and get something more my pace.

Iam looking at getting a glider - it is what I am looking for easy to fly, simple, clean and quiet. Ialso think gliding will provide new challanges, willl be something Ican take to fun flies, and Ihave a young son and he will be behind the sticks in no time. I am also excited as it seems there is a lot of different areas in sailplanes for us to enjoy as we join the community, master the basics and keep having fun.

I live in the northeast, so my plan is to build over the winter and fly over the summer - Ihave built many models in my younger years so Iam not overly concerned about the complexity of the build. Right now I am torn between the Bird Of Time and the Spectra. Ireally like the bird of time, Ican hi start it and with 500 feet and the 3M wingspan Ican certainly get plenty of flight time. It is more of a true glider and I am certain will provide hours of enjoyment. It being a 2 section wing will also make transportation to and from the field easier. The Sprecta seems like an exceptional airplane - quick to launch, though buying batteries and a speed control adds to the cost. Iwould if it would be better for someone start up again to have the option to abort the landing, although with my previous flying experience I am sure I will get my thmbs going again in no time.

If the flying field plays a part - Ihave a number of great flying fields around and my weekend house has a large field so hi starting shouldn't be a problem.

Ilook forward to your thoughts - feel free to suggest other models if they are better.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:26 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Need Help Choosing Plane

You can't go wrong with a Bird of Time.

This wont help you but NorthEast has 100's of sail planes.

http://www.nesail.com/index.php?PHPS...35e286d50c521a

Old 09-18-2011, 01:29 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Need Help Choosing Plane

I love this one but the price! Ouch!

Blue Adventure Carbon

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?pro...35e286d50c521a