Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gorilla Glue and Milled Fiberglass

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gorilla Glue and Milled Fiberglass

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:21 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gorilla Glue and Milled Fiberglass

Im doing a repair and would to know if anyone has tried this?.... i would like the expanding properties of gorilla glue and the strength of fiberglass(milled) would mixing them work out?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Gorilla Glue and Milled Fiberglass

What's the repair?
Old 09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Campgems

the first thing that come to mind is cleaing up all the expanded glue filled with glass. That alone would sour me on the idea.

Don
Old 09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
MetallicaJunkie

landing gear plate on my mx2 .... i had a throttle servo mount come loose, and the engine was revving just above idle and very difficult to fly around so i had to make the decision to force her down and it was coming in hot and it broke the gear plate.. so the LG with wheelpants did a number on the rear stringers and elev stab... what mess[:'(]

i ought to mix up a small batch and see how it comes out.....
Old 09-20-2011, 03:39 AM
Steve Steinbring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newton Supply Company makes an Epo-Grip product called Model Matrix with milled fiberglass already in the product. It is a paste epoxy with a 7-10 minute cure time. www.epogrip.com or call Erik at Newton Supply he will be glad to assist 1-800-888-2467.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I've done it, works great. Increases expansion and hardness.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Acetone will clean up the glue before it hardens. I use Epogrip a lot. They have a hobby pack with three different epoxies in it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

I've done it, works great. Increases expansion and hardness.
cool....just exactly what i was hoping to hear....

*edit i didnt mix a batch up last night ... my bottle is ruined....most of it cured inside the bottle, i gotta buy one today
Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

landing gear plate on my mx2 .... i had a throttle servo mount come loose, and the engine was revving just above idle and very difficult to fly around so i had to make the decision to force her down and it was coming in hot and it broke the gear plate.. so the LG with wheelpants did a number on the rear stringers and elev stab... what mess[:'(]

I have used GG to repair cracks in fiberglass fuses but not with any glass or micro balloons mixed in. Sounds like something to try. I cleaned it up with a exacto knife then a small disc on my moto tool.
Here is a trick when you have a throttle problem. Been there a couple of times. Fly the plane until the tank is empty then land dead stick. Last time I had to do it the throttle on a G-62 powered plane broke off right after take off. That plane flew so long at full throttle I had to sit down and fly. A smaller tank was in order but I got rid of the plane this year.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

I have used GG to repair cracks in fiberglass fuses but not with any glass or micro balloons mixed in. Sounds like something to try. I cleaned it up with a exacto knife then a small disc on my moto tool.
Here is a trick when you have a throttle problem. Been there a couple of times. Fly the plane until the tank is empty then land dead stick. Last time I had to do it the throttle on a G-62 powered plane broke off right after take off. That plane flew so long at full throttle I had to sit down and fly. A smaller tank was in order but I got rid of the plane this year.

what size tank 20 oz?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 PM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

My throttle servo went out once. I flew it around for a while to get the level down then rolled it inverted on the downwind end of the runway. That killed the engine then glided it down to land. Hard to do the flying around if you are on the edge of a stall. Have to force it into a hot landing. Bummer!