Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Unequal Aileron Travel

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Unequal Aileron Travel

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
nefariousrc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unequal Aileron Travel

Ok, so I've googled and read everything I can find and none of it has fixed my problem.

I have roughly 1/4" more down travel than up. This is with a two servo setup on seperate channels. It's almost as if I had aileron differential programmed into it. I've tripple check the arm setup and the pushrod is 90* to the servo arm at midstick so I don't think I've induced mechanical differential. This is on a Pulse 125 where the control horns and control surfaces are preinstalled so I didn't induce mechanical diffrential there either.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Unequal Aileron Travel

I will admit, that I am not thinking great tonight )), have you tried flipping the channels on the radio, to rule out the radio? or maybe swapping the servos to see if it is a radio problem, a servo problem or a mechanical problem.

Good luck
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of posibilities.Startbysetting sub trim, and trim to center, both servos. Sub trim will probably be some different between servos as the splines on the arm are not symetrical. Set end points a 100% in both directions both servos Set dual rate and expo to 100 % both high and low and zero expo.Now,are the aileron centered at mid stick?Make mechanicla adjustments as needed to center. Now, wiggle ever stick but the aileron, turn every knob and flip every switch. Does anything cause a change in the ailerons? Fix it in the transmitter if it does. If you still have uneven movement, then the horn to hinge line is off. You should be able to compensate for that with end point adjustments. Once you have the movement figured out, do your dual rates and expo and end points to suit you.

Don
Old 09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Can we assume that you have other models that you fly with this transmitter and the ailerons operate normally? That being the case, we know that the transmitter is capable of operating the ailerons correctly. So if you eliminate all variables as outlined by Campgems, the ailerons should have equal travel up and down. If not, it would indicate either a mechanically induced error or that the model memory you are using for this plane has a glitch in it. Try another model memory that does not have an airplane assigned to it. I would really doubt, however, that one memory could have a glitch in it and all the others work properly.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Campgems

If you still have uneven movement, then the horn to hinge line is off. You should be able to compensate for that with end point adjustments.

Don

I agree with Don this is a very common reason this that the fellows often get wrong Even on Arfs with preinstalled horns, seen many of them a mile off. It takes only a slight error in the Horn to hingeline relationship to cause a mechanically induced differential.

Also note that the actual hole where the clevis is installed on the horn or the center of the ball joint if that is what is used needs to be over the hinge line with the surface in neutral.

I do think the only way to correct this error properly if it exists is to move the horn though.

John

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually move the control on the servo one spline forward (towards front of wing) to get the differential of more up than down. Possibly if you do this same thing (move the arms ahead of 90 degree square) that might bring you back to equal throw? That might mechanically zero you out, and then you have all your radio options as well. I hope I am understanding the problem correctly, and this helps...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
nefariousrc
My Feedback: (2)

I've reset this model multiple times in the tx to make sure it's not the tx that's causing it. With all sub trims & trims set to zero & EPA set to 100% the servo arm to pushrod angle is as close to 90* as I can get it but still visibly off. I had to use ~15 points of subtrim to get the angle at a perfect 90*. None of the other tx switches have any effect on the ailerons. My understanding was to get the servo arms as close to 90* to the pushrod as possible and then use subtrim to get it perfect. Once that is done then set the control surface @ zero by adjusting the clevis. I haven't even started to setup D/R or expo but have verified that they are set to 100% & zero respectively.
I fly a Hitec Aurora 9 if that makes any difference and I do have other models that I fly with this transmitter including a .50 size heli that I would have definetly noticed this problem during setup if it was caused by the tx.
I hadn't thought of inducing mechanical differential in the opposite direction tocompensate but that just might work. I'll also double check the control horn to hing line to make sure they are lined up.

edit:
Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it or not but I'm running the aileron servos to seperate channels so I can eventually setup up flaperons.