Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Older Equipment

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Older Equipment

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 AM
TOMMY-O

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older Equipment

I'm a beginner who has gone through three RTF planes. That means I have three cheap controllers and assorted parts. I was offered a 1994 Futaba Skysport 6A transmitter free, but would need a receiver. I looking to save money here. What are the pros and cons about using older equipment.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 AM
goirish

Default RE: Older Equipment

I have all older equipment including me
Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 AM
DeferredDefect

Hello!

I have been using a 1997 Skysport for flying my sailplanes for a while now, and it is quite a reliable radio. When using an older radio, there are a few things you should check into. First off - if the radio is using rechargeable batteries, commonly NiCd's, there is the chance that they could be too old for reliable use. Even if they are called "brand new", I would replace them immediately. It's better to do so than loose a model!  As it is post 1991, the radio should be on the correct band and be compatable for a club environment. 
re"> Before flying, do a full range check of about 90 feet with the antenna collapsed. You should still have full control, provided you are using a full range receiver. Also check that all the functions are working, i.e the channel reverse switches, rate switch, and all 4 basic control surfaces without jitter or unwanted movement.
re"> When buying a receiver, I would look for a proper Futaba product, although I have had great experiences with Hitec and no-name products on electric park flyers. Ensure it is on the correct band, and that the crystal is compatible. If you order it over the phone or buy if from a hobby shop, they should be able to help out in this respect. It may be wise to buy a new receiver, as older Futaba receivers are quite large and heavy. If you are looking at smaller electric models, go for Hitec products and look at their 4 channel receivers. 
re"> Be advised that this is a simpler radio compared to the computer radios used today, but it is very high quality. I've had no problems with my older radios and find they have less problems and last longer. Perhaps it's the throwaway-sell-it-cheap attitude, but my Skysport is probably the least likely to break of all my radios! Don't expect to be able to program complex mixes or have digital trim, but the basics needed when setting up a model. Centre all the trims mechanically in the model, so that middle trim has the control surfaces level, and work with it from there. 

Hope this helps, and happy flying!
re">
re">
Old 10-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: TOMMY-O

I'm a beginner who has gone through three RTF planes. That means I have three cheap controllers and assorted parts. I was offered a 1994 Futaba Skysport 6A transmitter free, but would need a receiver. I looking to save money here. What are the pros and cons about using older equipment.

WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!!

Nothing. Matter in fact the older equipment is better in some ways. Welcome to RCU and this addiction we call a hobby!

All my radio's are 72mhz and I still use a 1983-84 O.S. FS-120 (Before Surpass) looks like a Saito. There is a big market for the old stuff, if you look in the back of Model Aviation, people will always offer you cash for it. Matter in fact, I just bought another JR 72mhz radio as a back up for my other 72. It's about 10 years old and was never used- still in it's original box. I just refuse to put the newer 2.4 radios in my $1,000 glow planes. So newer products aren't always better in my opinion.

When I first joined the hobby, my old club sold me everything I needed to get started for about $120. All I needed to buy was the glow fuel, 12v battery and glow starter. Stock up on all you need, it will save you money in the end. If you look in my house, my wife will tell you- It looks like a hobby shop!

Pete

Old 10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I must respectfully disagree that the older stuff is better than the current stuff. There are threads galore on the whole 2.4 vs 72mhz conversation, so there's no need to rehash it here. But even without that, the newer radios have programming features that the old ones don't. The programming lets you set up your plane just like you want it, with the throws just right and with exponential to adjust the sensitivity near the middle of the servo movement. Overall, a computer radio can give you a more comfortable plane to fly, and that translates into faster learning and fewer mistakes.

That said, as long as the old radio is in good condition it'll fly a trainer just fine. As said before, make sure the batteries are good. The standard is less than 3 years old and recently passed a cycle test. On a freebie radio, especially if it hasn't been used in a year or two, you can go ahead and count on needing new batteries for your transmitter and receiver. If you also have to buy a receiver, you'll wind up pretty close to the price of a new 2.4ghz system.

Transmitter- free
Good new Tx battery- $30
Receiver (used)- $10
Good new Rx battery- $20
Switch- $10
New Rx Crystal- $7

So that's $77 invested to use a "free" system of unknown condition that is long out of warranty. You can save around $25 dollars by buying stock Futaba and JR batteries off Ebay, but it's a gamble as to whether or not the seller is being honest about the condition. Or you could buy a new Hitec Optic 5 or Airtronics SD5 (my first choice) for about $100, and add that same $20 Rx battery and have a system that is more customizable and new. If it saves you one crash, even a minor one, it will have paid for itself and then some.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I must respectfully disagree that the older stuff is better than the current stuff. There are threads galore on the whole 2.4 vs 72mhz conversation, so there's no need to rehash it here. But even without that, the newer radios have programming features that the old ones don't. The programming lets you set up your plane just like you want it, with the throws just right and with exponential to adjust the sensitivity near the middle of the servo movement. Overall, a computer radio can give you a more comfortable plane to fly, and that translates into faster learning and fewer mistakes.

That said, as long as the old radio is in good condition it'll fly a trainer just fine. As said before, make sure the batteries are good. The standard is less than 3 years old and recently passed a cycle test. On a freebie radio, especially if it hasn't been used in a year or two, you can go ahead and count on needing new batteries for your transmitter and receiver. If you also have to buy a receiver, you'll wind up pretty close to the price of a new 2.4ghz system.

Transmitter- free
Good new Tx battery- $30
Receiver (used)- $10
Good new Rx battery- $20
Switch- $10
New Rx Crystal- $7

So that's $77 invested to use a ''free'' system of unknown condition that is long out of warranty. You can save around $25 dollars by buying stock Futaba and JR batteries off Ebay, but it's a gamble as to whether or not the seller is being honest about the condition. Or you could buy a new Hitec Optic 5 or Airtronics SD5 (my first choice) for about $100, and add that same $20 Rx battery and have a system that is more customizable and new. If it saves you one crash, even a minor one, it will have paid for itself and then some.

We can disagree and still get along in this hobby. We all have our own experience and paths that we took to get where we are at making our opinions different. Me personally I think some of the older equipment is better. Radios is just one small part of it. If it works, why replace it?

Pete

Old 10-01-2011, 02:00 PM
carrellh

Tommy, a couple of opinions are flying around.

Be aware that it will not be long before the only way to get 72mhz, or any other fixed frequency, equipment is to buy it used. It is happening much faster than I expected. Servo City currently is selling off their remaining supply of crystals at a really low price.

Jester is right that it is probably not very cost effective to use the 6A if you have to buy a battery pack for 30 dollars or more.

I'd get it and test the battery. The manual is still online http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6va-manual.pdf 6A and 6VA are the same radio according to the chart on the Hobbico site.

If you do not have a cycler, or access to one, this test is better than nothing...
Charge the battery per instructions
Extend the antenna
Turn on the transmitter
Note how long it takes for the level meter to hit the 'recharge' zone
Do this a few times
The manual says the current drain of the transmitter is 180mA, so a 600mAH pack should last over 3 hours before it's discharged

If the transmitter battery is good I'd consider getting a receiver to go with it.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Oberst
Banned

Crystals are still being made and sold.

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=132C18E0D20F

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...%3C%2FB%3Es+fm

You don't need to spend much on batteries at all. Just shop around. Many times Tower Hobbies has a sale on them. My LHS sells switches for around $2 not $5. Ask around in your Club, if your not a member of a Club I ask that you do so. It never hurts to compare prices. They will help you with everything you need to get started including free lessons and tips. I've given away many things to help a beginner get started, I'm sure others will do the same if they have something extra they aren't using.

Beware- buying things used from E-bay isn't always a good thing. IMHO It's better to buy things new if you can because you will have a warrenty that comes with it. One thing I learned in this hobby is we don't have to spend much to get what we need, if we look hard enough.

Pete
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 AM
jester_s1

The only point I was making was that the free transmitter isn't really free. The OP is free to do what he wants. I just wanted to point out the costs involved so he can make an apples to apples comparison. I got into that situation as a new flyer. I bought a used transmitter, receiver and servos here on RCU. I "saved" about $70 off the price of a similar new one. But the receiver battery was bad which cost me a plane (my fault for not checking it) so that was $25 I needed to have spent extra, then the next year the transmitter battery was shot which cost $35 more. I had glitches occasionally and only had the most basic programming. So for an honest $10 more, I could have had a new system that I could trust and with the newer features instead of some other guy's retired radio. Even if the difference had been $40 or $50, the "bargain" would not have been worth it for the lack of features I could have had. After a couple years in the hobby I wised up and bought the new radio I really wanted and haven't had a problem since.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a radio that at one time was used in the so called Ultimate combos of many glow and electrics that was sold by Tower.

In otherwords is is the same type of thing as your other radios no features and one airplane one transmitter, I'am pretty sure it has not model memory correct me if I am wrong.

Was it reliable one time, sure but the problem arises if you stay in the hobby/sport and start adding airplane like you already have to some extent and we all tend to do.

The vast majority of folks will soon be hankering for many more features you can bet on that, I fly and teach every day and most who have radios such as that are looking to replace them even before their first solo's.

That radio radio for someone brand new an not encumbered with old radios and receivers is penny wise and pound foolish. Even free it will be an expensive choice ultimately.

For new folks always acquire the most capable radios you can afford and that means modern 2.4 also. The Sky is not falling as some so delight in crying. It is actually quite inexpensive.

Do remember RC electronic do not last forever either actually stuff from the last thirty years is not all that durable.

Plastic gimble parts as well as cases dry up and crack , thats real bad in the case of gimbles.

RF sections drift over time time even sitting new in the box, that well bad for a whole bunch of reasons.

Switchs and trim pots as well as stick pots can also corrode and become unreliable from disuse. thats well real bad.

Jester has given you some of the best advice Here.

John
Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 AM
charlie1960

if it aint broke, theres no need to fix it....
Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: charlie1960

Thats not the point. To deliberately start out with antiquated radio equipment When you are not already saddled with lots of old antiquated equipment is a fools game and you even become fodder to the E Bay peddlars who be assured do not have your best interest at heart.

I have been through many many different technogies since my first successful RC flight (and I have never stopped since) in 1959.

Always start out with the most current technogie and capble RC equipment you can possibly afford. That includes 2.4, the sky is not falling! The assertion a few are preaching that 2.4 is going away and we all will soon be back on 72, is not going to happen and an absurd knee jerk claim!

John

All the above is only just my opinion of course

Old 10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: charlie1960

Thats not the point. To deliberately start out with antiquated radio equipment When you are not already saddled with lots of old antiquated equipment is a fools game and you even become fodder to the E Bay peddlars who be assured do not have your best interest at heart.

I have been through many many different technogies since my first successful RC flight (and I have never stopped since) in 1959.

Always start out with the most current technogie and capble RC equipment you can possibly afford. That includes 2.4, the sky is not falling! The assertion a few are preaching that 2.4 is going away and we all will soon be back on 72, is not going to happen and an absurd knee jerk claim!

John

The 2.4 is going to be replaced and it is in development now. I don't know where you got the idea that the 2.4 will be replaced by the 72mhz again, however a big number of us would like to see that, or still be able to have that option of buying 72 instead of 2.4. The companies think we are like frogs in a kettle filled with water. They slowely boil us to death thinking we don't know what's going on. Some people like me know what they are doing and are smart enough to jump out of the water. To me it's a crime!

I guess we have to let the hard heads crash their $1,000- $10,000 airplanes enough until they realize what me and others are saying is valid. But, I think they won't in the end, and I believe they will just fade away from this hobby out of frustration. Many see and are blind.

When it comes to crashes on our flying fields, JR/Spektrum is definitely in the lead. Models with other major brands also crash but not as many as with JR/Spektrum. According to RCU at Joe Nall 2011, Futaba crashes first time out numbered the crashes on JR/Spektrum. David Shulman, who is a Futaba team member, crashed his jet at the last Joe Nall.

I just bought another JR Sport 6 channel 72mhz, charger and RX that was brand new and never used for $50. It came with a old PTS RTF Mustang and the owner used his 72 mhz Futaba in place of it instead. He had it for sale at my LHS in a plastic case. Now I have 2 of the exact 72mhz radio and can tell the lobbists pushing the 2.4 where to stick it.

I suspect that the AMA did tell the lobbists for Hanger 9, Hobbico, Airtronics and Hitec to start finding the replacement for the 2.4. I got inside info that the AMA is aware of the problem, and they said (they the lobbist) are in development of a new system. I can not disclose what that system is because I was asked not to release the info to the public.

The companies are pretending there is no problem, but yet they are trying to cover up the issue by eventually fading in the new radios over time. In the meantime us consumers wind up paying the price for their own greed instead of bringing back the 72mhz so we can still have that option.

What is going on is just plain Nuts in my opinion. I'm hoping somehow there will be a big enough stink raised about this issue that it will force these companies to come back with the 72mhz until the new 2.4 replacement is released, but I doubt it.

If you want the scientific proof why I won't use the 2.4 and why I think the 72 is better, read this:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...he-discussion/

Dave Horvath and I are becoming friends and I share what ever findings I get on this controversy. So far he nor I have seen a scientific rebuttal to logicly refute the facts. All I do know is the 2.4 replacement won't be ready for quite some time. It is under development and in the testing faze.

I believe the beginner had a question if his equipment was any good. The answer is yes, and some of us still use the old equipment. If it works keep using it, that is my opinion. There are other forums we can discuss the "other" issue people, but to continue the radio debate in the beginner forum is not the place for it I don't think. But that's not for me to decide, that's up to the moderators.

Pete

Old 10-02-2011, 03:02 PM
JohnBuckner

Pete you yourself have followed virtually every post that I have ever made, when I have suggested to any new folks that getting started with 2.4 is a good idea with rants that we all would be going back 72 with veiled implications of how sorry we will be and you know it.

Not Gonna Happen

I am gonna state my suggestion just one more time to any new folks and you can rant to your hearts content and constantly Quote every post I make in anal attempts to dominate these types of threads.

It would be wise for any new folks to always start out with the most capable equipment they can afford and that includes 2.4.

John
Old 10-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Lnewqban

The OP could use some links leading him to the new equipment mentioned here.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
waterloged

It sounds as your saying the older 72s won't fly much but a trainer [] i'm still using a futaba cap 9 on all 15 of my planes and they fly very well with no problems thank you. I have lost a couple planes to dumb thumbs and a loose crystal but that was also my fault [:'(] I'll stick with my 72s and i'm happy with it. I have 6 72s from my cap 9 down to a couple 4 channels and my 50 mhz radio and they all work great.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:50 PM
DeferredDefect

For the price, I don't think you can get a decent quality 2.4 Ghz radio for the price of a receiver, battery, switch and crystal. Sure, there are a few budget 2.4's on the market, but most are less capable than the old Futaba 6 channel the OP posted. In terms of quality and features vs price there is still no comparison.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Oberst
Banned

Pete you yourself have followed virtually every post that I have ever made, when I have suggested to any new folks that getting started with 2.4 is a good idea with rants that we all would be going back 72 with veiled implications of how sorry we will be and you know it.

Not Gonna Happen

I am gonna state my suggestion just one more time to any new folks and you can rant to your hearts content and constantly Quote every post I make in anal attempts to dominate these types of threads.

It would be wise for any new folks to always start out with the most capable equipment they can afford and that includes 2.4.

John

John don't flatter yourself by thinking I stalk your posts, I have better things to do. Dominating the threads? How many posts do you have compared to mine? Do you prefer we all keep everyone in the dark especially to beginners about what's out there concerning 2.4? Looks like you have a lot invested in the 2.4 radio and don't want to read the truth. I don't blame you, I wouldn't either if I dumped a lot of cash on 1 or 2 of those radios that has a ton of bells and whistles.

But everyone is right when they say to GraemeEllis that he's better off with what he has, and if it works leave it be. Most of us that aren't 2.4 fans are buying the FM 72mhz that are in new condition for just half the price a 2.4 is usually going for these days.

Me personally I'd rather have my radio impounded at a show then to risk loosing my planes because of a "Brown Out" or "Black Out." Already Joe Nall is thinking about impounding 2.4 radios along side the 72mhz because of what happened. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 2.4, doesn't it?

Pete
Old 10-03-2011, 07:01 AM
Roo Man

I am still using a 90's Futaba 8UAP [I have 3] with a Frysky 2.4 conversion. I like the fact that the some iof the older radios have a transmitter module that is removable and thus is easily upgraded to 2.4. I especially like the fact that my Frsky system [1 trans module and 6 eight channel receivers cost me only $139.00 from Hobby King. A futaba conversion and 6 eight channel reveivers would be well over $650.00 ad my Frysky works like a dream not one problem in almost a year.

I bopught my first 8UAP at the LHS and sent it to Futaba for a complete check out which cost me about $50.00, I strongly recomend doing this on any used transmitter that you do not know the history on.

Gary
Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM
opjose

Yup good advice!

The price points are so good on some of the newer computer controlled 2.4gHz stuff, that it's practically silly to saddle yourself with something you'll grow out of quickly.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
jester_s1

Not to mention something 20 years closer to its failure date!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best answer to this question is, it could be a good radio or it could be a paper weight. There are two ways to find out.
1. You could get new batteries, or cycle the old ones, and hope for the best.
2. you could pay to have it tested and be out more than it's worth.

I personally wouldn't recommend either one, but you may be lucky and get a great radio out of the deal. I still fly some early 90's radios and they work great, but I have owned and cared for them since day one. If my old 70's Kraft was converted to narrow band I would still fly it. It has the smoothest gimbles I have ever used, and never glitched once. Just remember no matter what anyone says they do or believe, your results may vary. Just remember "flying, to an even greater extent than the sea, is extremely unforgiving." (sorry can't remember the exact quote or who to cite.)
Old 10-07-2011, 05:27 PM
charlie1960

My JR 8103 works just fine and has never gave a problem.
Bought it second hand and never looked back.
Has more knobs and switches than i'll ever use.
I'm comfortable with it and can find the switches i need, when i need them.

You (I) dont have to have the latest and greatest to enjoy flying.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 PM
jester_s1

The recommendations in this thread are far from the latest and greatest. We are advising a new flyer who has a freebie radio. He's going to have to spend money either way, so he wants to know what the best route to go is. Nobody has said that the old radios can't work. But several have said that he's better off putting his money into equipment that is new with the benefits of the 2.4 technology. Others have said to buy batteries and everything else he needs and do a good range check. Hopefully if he goes that route he'll find that everything is ok. If not, he'll have spent his money and still won't have a usable system.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

There used to be a LHS/catalog house in the Atlanta area that took the Skysport transmitters out of the box and sold the rest as a flight pack. They had a big pile of Skysport transmitters that they sold for $5-$10 with no rcvr. I went through the pile and found one in my freq. Good basic unit. If you are willing to spend the money to get it to work, go for it. My 2 cents would be to take the same money and get the latest basic 2.4( if money is tight). The dollar difference isn't great. and you will have more features for the money spent. Or get a used higher grade 72mhz w\receiver from someone you trust and convert it later. For the average club atmosphere it will all work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.