Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Few questions before I buy my first plane. (New pics added!)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Few questions before I buy my first plane. (New pics added!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 AM
N419BH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Few questions before I buy my first plane. (New pics added!)

I learned over the course of four weeks on a Hobbico NexStar (wasn't my bird). I then jumped into a Hangar 9 P-51 PTS Mk II. A lot of people would say that's not a trainer, and I might agree with them somewhat, but it is definitely an excellent plane and it comes with a DX6i radio, which will last you a very long time in this hobby. I lost it a few weeks ago after the receiver battery died, and replaced it with the ARF version. Did you sell your transmitter with the plane? If you did then I'd recommend something that comes with the DX6. Some of the smaller RTF traners come with the DX5, which is a nice radio but you will run out of options with it very fast and will have to buy a DX6 or bigger anyway.

Here's my original plane which comes with a DX6i:http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN4425

Here's a more traditional trainer with a DX5e:http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4400

If you kept the radio then you can really buy any trainer you want and install your own radio.

I should also say I'm a full-size pilot and flight instructor, which may have assisted my learning curve. I will be the first to say however that flying the models is TOTALLY different, actually harder, than flying full size airplanes.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:20 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I am looking at a Nexstar .46(?) right now. I really don't want to spend too much as I have realized that my heart still lies in helis and cars, but I'd like a plane to mess around with.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM
blueapplepaste
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I am looking at a Nexstar .46(?) right now. I really don't want to spend too much as I have realized that my heart still lies in helis and cars, but I'd like a plane to mess around with.
If you're just looking to mess around, how about picking up a used trainer at a swap meet or something like that? If you already are into helis, possible that you may already have a radio that will work as well. Get a cheap used plane, see if its for you, and if so, then consider making a more serious investment. If you realize its not your cup of tea, no big deal then as you didn't put too much into it.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 AM
N419BH

If you want to go helis the DX6i is a MUST. The Mustang I mentioned is $600 worth of stuff for $400. I'm actually looking to get into helis myself and having the DX6i already means I don't have to spend $220 on a new radio.

The issue with the NexStar is the RTF version, at $400, comes with DUMBED down RealFlight (which you obviously don't need since you have the full version) and a crappy 4 channel FM radio (completely obsolete). If you start doing the math on the ARF version, the bird is $140, a .46 Evolution engine is $100, the DX6i radio is $220, servos are $20 each for decent ones (You need 4)...you've already spent $100 more than if you bought the Hangar 9 P-51 RTF.

The difficulty with the Hangar 9 offering is it's low wing and a taildragger...not exactly suited to first time flying. But, it WILL WORK provided you fly with an instructor and have lots of practice on the sim. Even better would be if one of the old timers at the club has an old Alpha 40 lying around...I've even seen clubs that have a club trainer available to give lessons to people who don't own an airplane yet. Buy the P-51, learn on the club trainer, graduate to the P-51.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

I thought this was funny. I bought Phoenix V3 from one of the LHS yesterday and I can land almost every plane EXCEPT the Piper Cub. I can take off and fly just fine on it, but I can't seem to land it .

Old 10-15-2011, 05:11 AM
goirish

Do what I do. Pull the power and close your eyes
Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I can land almost every plane EXCEPT the Piper Cub.