Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Four Stroke Engine in Tower Trainer .60

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Four Stroke Engine in Tower Trainer .60

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Four Stroke Engine in Tower Trainer .60

I had 4 stroke engine right from the beginning. No problems operating any of them. I have a couple Magnums and OS, they all start and run great. And they are easy on fuel and the ears.
I had a few crashes, never broke an engine...
So if your plane can handle the extra weight, I'd use the 4 cycle. I don't see why they would be harder to operate. Make sure you use the right prop nut with a jam nut, and the worst you will see is that if the engine backfires, the prop comes loose, but does not spin off.
Also - use an electric starter, do not hand start it, unless you know you engine well. As a beginner - keep you hands away from the prop.
Same thing for 2 stroke engines.
When it come the engine repairs - yes, the strokes are a lot easier to work on. Less parts, less costs and less efficiency.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: OliverJacob

I had 4 stroke engine right from the beginning. No problems operating any of them. I have a couple Magnums and OS, they all start and run great. And they are easy on fuel and the ears.
I had a few crashes, never broke an engine...
So if your plane can handle the extra weight, I'd use the 4 cycle. I don't see why they would be harder to operate. Make sure you use the right prop nut with a jam nut, and the worst you will see is that if the engine backfires, the prop comes loose, but does not spin off.
Also - use an electric starter, do not hand start it, unless you know you engine well. As a beginner - keep you hands away from the prop.
Same thing for 2 stroke engines.
When it come the engine repairs - yes, the strokes are a lot easier to work on. Less parts, less costs and less efficiency.

x2
Old 10-21-2011, 12:25 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to go with the 4-stroke, I recommend that you use an aluminum spinner for safety in case of a backfire.

Access to a tachometer for tuning is also recommended for a 4-stroke, can't go by ear to get peak rpm.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:19 PM
budchugger
My Feedback: (1)

i used a Saito 100 in mine when i stated
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM
jmcowart

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Tru-Turn aluminium spinner and back plate. I haven't been able to get it to fit yet. Ip;urchased the adapter recommended by the Tru-Turn Company and it didnt fit. Wouldn't tighten enough to snug down the spinner.

The company sold me another, shorter, adapter and I tried that as well. It wouldn't fit either.

After the next call the Tru-Turn they sent me a no charge adapter and Ihaven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I don't have much confidence in them as of now. Their web site sounds good and the self-proclaimed quality they push sounds good, but my results have been both expensive and frustrating. Nothing has worked as yet.

For others, if you are using an O.S. FS-95V, find another aluminium spinner as Tru-Turn hasn't got their act together on this engine yet.

Mike.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:37 PM
CafeenMan

Are you using the propeller washer?
Old 10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
jmcowart

Yes, prop washer that comes with the engine, then every prop nut and jam nut combination possible provided by either O.S. and/or Tru-turn. I will probably end up using the little solid aluminium spinner by Du-bro.

I will try the new adapter sent by Tru-Turn tomorrow and I have my fingers crossed that will secure the 2.5 aluminium spinner by Tru-Turn.

Mike.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 PM
carrellh

Truturn spinners are as good as any other but getting the right combination of spinner/nut/adapter can be frustrating. Trial and error does get expensive. The 'ultimate' shape is longer than some of their other designs.
http://www.truturn.com/Spinners/By_S...e_ultimate.htm
Unless you need the nose weight, just use the plastic spinner that came with the arf
Old 10-21-2011, 07:14 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I have a Tower Hobbies .60 trainer, and it is a superb airplane. Mine has a strong .61 in it. Would I trade that strong .61 for a 90 to 115 size four stroke of just about any brand and install in that airplane? You bet your bippy.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The great plane aluminum back, plastic cone spinners are a good choice. I'm not a fan of the plastic back spinners as they cursh under a very tight prop, and Ireally tighten mine up. they also provide a crush zone in the event you land nose first. They have saved a couple of my engines.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMY9&P=7

This is an example, they come a a number of sizes and colors. No spinner nut to worry about, just the nuts that came with the enigne. They are easy to carve out to fit a prop, a #11 Xacto knife is all you need.

Don
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I had a Thunder Tiger 91 four stroke on a 60 size trainer and it flew fine. Not under nor overpowered. Wait, what was the question?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 PM
dakoris73

Probably totally unrelated, but I have the Tower 40 trainer and I put a 52 4 stroke on it, and it is definitely a fun airplane. very short take offs, lots of flight time as I can fly at less than half throttle for at least 20 min flights, great for students to fly with as it will slow down quite nicely when needed, but has the added punch to get out of trouble easier, and definitely love the looks and comments at the field about having a 4 stroke on a trainer.

If your patient getting it all set up and dialed in, you will love that 60 trainer with a 95 4 stroke in it.

Good luck and happy flying......
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 AM
mike109

G'day

Way back in 1992 I put an OS 48 Surpass in a Thunder Tiger 40 size trainer. All the experts told me it would not work but when they flew the plane, they were immediately converted.

Four strokes will happily run at part throttle all day, are economical and best of all, quiet. They are not hard to handle and rarely deadstick. As a result, I have been using them in trainers ever since. They are particularly good for older learners who seem to appreciate their good pulling power at lower speeds.

They can be damaged more in crashes than two strokes but I have always been able to repair them and with buddy boxes, crashes are rare these days.

At the present time I have a range of trainers and only one has a two stroke.

Mike in Oz