Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Omega fuel question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Omega fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omega fuel question

okay, yet another fuel question.

the guy at the hobby shop gave me omega (castor/synthetic blend...pink stuff) fuel for my GP42 motor.

i cant find any real info on what's in it. The only info on the label says that it contains methanol, nitromethane and a non petroleum lubricants, but gives no percentages. It says 10% on it, but that's it. Is that amount of nitro that's in it?

there is not info on the bottle or on their website to show how much castor oil is in the fuel. i just wanna make sure that its got the manufacture's minimum requirement of 20% castor....

thanks guys!
Old 11-05-2011, 12:11 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Omega fuel question

The 10% is nitro. Omega has a combination of castor and syn oil making up 17% of the total volume of the fuel. I use 10% Omega in all of my .25 through 1.20 2 and 4 stroke engines. It is a good reliable glow fuel.

Bruce
Old 11-05-2011, 12:14 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've used Omega for years in my airplane engines. If it didn't give me good results, Iwouldn't have run it for years.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM
mach2

cool. thanks fellas!

after running a synthetic in the motor, is it possible to run anything that is simply methanol and castor without the sythetic?

because i know that after running synthetic oil in a car motor, the residue left by the synthetic oil, will keep the conventional from lubricating correctly.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:28 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.

Bruce
Old 11-05-2011, 02:22 PM
carrellh

Morgan Fuels (Omega, Cool Power, etc) started rebuilding their web site quite a while back and all they've managed to do is make a link to Facebook. I'm not sure how that is considered 'progress' but I'm sure it is.

The old site had all of the percentages so you knew what you were getting. As others wrote, total oil is 17%. The ratio is 70/30 synthetic to castor so you have 11.9% synthetic and 5.1% castor.

I've used Omega, Cool Power, Wildcat, Power Master, Ritchs Brew, and Magnum. All seem to run the same and they all keep the engines lubricated.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:33 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: mach2

okay, yet another fuel question.

the guy at the hobby shop gave me omega (castor/synthetic blend...pink stuff) fuel for my GP42 motor.

i cant find any real info on what's in it. The only info on the label says that it contains methanol, nitromethane and a non petroleum lubricants, but gives no percentages. It says 10% on it, but that's it. Is that amount of nitro that's in it?

there is not info on the bottle or on their website to show how much castor oil is in the fuel. i just wanna make sure that its got the manufacture's minimum requirement of 20% castor....

thanks guys!
The Hobby Shop guy did good by you. Your engine is a bushing bearing type, and fuel containing castor oil is best for it. 10% nitro is a good choice, he did not take advantage of you by recommending higher (more expensive) nitro. You have a good engine with the right fuel for it.

Happy landings.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool. thanks fellas!

after running a synthetic in the motor, is it possible to run anything that is simply methanol and castor without the sythetic?
Yup. Engine won't care as far as lubrication goes. You may need to re-shim, retune and install a different heat range glow plug going to 0% nitro fuel though.

because i know that after running synthetic oil in a car motor, the residue left by the synthetic oil, will keep the conventional from lubricating correctly.

This is incorrect. Putting conventional in a car that's lived on synthetic won't harm a damn thing. The conventional will lubricate just fine, up to it's own natural limits. The issue arises when you take a car that's lived a long life on conventional and stuff synthetic in it. Conventional motor oil leaves deposits and residue on the engine internals, and on a high mileage(150K+) motor this residue is often all that's keeping the main seals from leaking. Put synthetic in it and the detergents in that oil that clean out the oil goo that's keeping the motor sealed.

This same thing will happen with a glow engine as well. The castor oil does the same thing as the conventional oil in a car engine. Run an engine on a castor-heavy fuel mix for a couple of gallons and pull the backplate off. You'll see castor goo everywhere. Run a gallon of synthetic-only fuel through it and that castor goo will get flushed right out, and if that engine is old enough it will start leaking oil out the front bearing. Luckily you can seal it back up by just feeding it castor-heavy fuel again, eventually the goo will build back up and it will stop leaking.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:39 PM
mach2

thanks for all the info guys!!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
cutaway

...is it possible to run anything that is simply methanol and castor without the sythetic?
FWIW, OS's manual that comes with the LA series engines recommends a 20% all castor oil fuel with 5-15% nitro. As a practical matter, the larger LA's run fine and produce decent power with 0% nitro although they do produce noticeably more power with 5%.

I have a LA .46 that was always run with an OS spec fuel I mix myself, and its still got a ferocious ABC "pinch" at TDC even after about 5 hours of running.

For his whole life, Duke Fox was a proponent of castor oil for his engines, and they'd last for many hundreds of hours when fed what he said to feed them.