Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What is a good engine for a Tower Kaos?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What is a good engine for a Tower Kaos?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is a good engine for a Tower Kaos?

ORIGINAL: proptop

The Tower Kaos is basically a .40 sized Kaos Jr. or Jr. Kaos (whichever it was called back in the early 70's ) and a K&B .40 was typical for the day. A friend had an HP .40 w/Tarno carb on his...made a very nice combination.
Both of those are very light engines...
I have a Webra .50 in my Tower Kaos, and it is way more than sufficient.

Any modern .46 would be plenty, and with the O.S..55 it would be quite fast...perhaps a bit more than you're ready for...but...there is a throttle on the engine...

Edit: Mine wound up quite nose heavy with the Webra .50 and TT spinner. A check of the weights of your potential engines is recommended. I had to move my battery pack back behind the wing...had to cut a hatch in the bottom of the fuselage just behind the wing.
No it is larger than the .40 sized Kaos Jr. The Kaos Jr. had a 52" wing span, the Tower Kaos 40 has a 55" span. So a .40 would not power a Tower Kaos as well as it would an older Kaos Jr.

http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/plan_kits/kaos.htm

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/towa2052.html

As for engines, one overlooked are the Fox engines. They have a .45,and a .50. The . .50 is not on the website but they can provide it, give them a call. If you have a junk engine that is or is not repairable you can trade it in for 50% off. Probably a better engine than those mentioned including the OS engines, as they last. New refined carb is reported to be very good, just don't use much nitro and they work great. I own a .50 and even though it has lost some compression and is 25 years old, it is one of my best engines. Never replaced a bearing, sleeve, or ring.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:36 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A strong .40 would fly it (the Tower Kaos ) well...a TT .40 or Magnum, OS FX, or even a Fox there SP

My Tower Kaos is actually a bit lighter than the old Bridi Kaos Junior, which has a lot of relatively thick sheet balsa (no "lightening holes" ) and balsa blocks in the fuselage.
The wings are virtually identical...
Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Avistar is a top wing trainer. Assuming you are very comfortable with the Avistar then you could try the Caos but maybe with a 40 sized motor (.46) or Super Tigre .51. The caos was a design of Joe Bridy who long since sold rights to his designs. I am pretty sure this is 90% the same plane that it was. I have a 60 sized version and it tweighs all of 5 pounds. I put a ST90 on this and it basically drills holes in the sky. It is a comfortable flier that flies like it on rails and will take on as much power as you throw at it.Assuming you do not demolish it, you will probably wind up keeping this plane around for a long time. The .51 Super Tigre or even the OS .60 would be plenty powerful but again you might want to start with the smaller motor first.

Andy

ORIGINAL: Alex4690

Hey all,
I think i've pretty much made up my mind on upgrading from my Avistar 40 to a Tower Kaos ARF. The dillema I am having is figuring out what a good engine for it would be. I was thinking an OS 55 however I was unsure if it was going to be too much power for that plane and also for my skill level?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: proptop

A strong .40 would fly it (the Tower Kaos ) well...a TT .40 or Magnum, OS FX, or even a Fox there SP

My Tower Kaos is actually a bit lighter than the old Bridi Kaos Junior, which has a lot of relatively thick sheet balsa (no "lightening holes" ) and balsa blocks in the fuselage.
The wings are virtually identical...
Sure, it would fly, but the Kaos is meant to fly FAST! You were supposed to sand away most of the thick sheeting, there are no blocks inside the fuse, they were for the nacelle and also mostly sanded away..Many of the bulkheads were solid no lightening holes, but also balsa, the only plywood was the fire wall andlanding gear mounts.Thedifference in weight will have little difference in speed. But light always flys better.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
hogflyer

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

.....No it is larger than the .40 sized Kaos Jr. The Kaos Jr. had a 52'' wing span, the Tower Kaos 40 has a 55'' span. So a .40 would not power a Tower Kaos as well as it would an older Kaos Jr.

I definitely agree on the Tower Kaos needing a .46. I used my Tower Kaos to break-in a Thunder Tiger .40 Pro for use on my Viper for Q500 pylon racing. There was a noticeable difference in power between the .40 Pro and .46 Pro which was quite evident in climbing.

Hogflyer
Old 11-21-2011, 10:40 AM
proptop

This is the Beginners Forum...not the Pattern Forum...the O.P. was asking about an appropriate engine for his Tower Kaos...(he's going from a Trainer, to the Kaos...remember?!? )

SP...if you want to get pedantic, go right ahead...(typical... )

It will also fly quite slowly, and do that well too...mine has no bad habits at (very ) slow speeds...doesn't drop a wing when it stalls...over-all it's an excellent flyer, as are most of Joe Bridi's designs.

BTW my friend has an original ".40 size" Kaos and when they are sitting SXS there is virtually no difference, except in the shape of the nose area. The Tower Kaos has a nose section much like the original 1970 Kaos, and predecessors.

That being said...
I would suggest to pay particular attention to the aileron linkages in the T.E. of the wing...of the 3 Tower Kaos's that are in our clubs, all 3 have had sloppy torque rod bearings, and needed to be fixed during assembly.
The elevator linkage w/ the wheel collars connecting the 2 p-rods is Mickey Mouse, and should be wrapped / soldered for best results IMO.

I agree w/ the above posters that say the covering is not very good...some of ours (all 3 ) started comming off after a few flights.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Sport_Pilot

BTW my friend has an original ".40 size" Kaos and when they are sitting SXS there is virtually no difference, except in the shape of the nose area. The Tower Kaos has a nose section much like the original 1970 Kaos, and predecessors.
I think you may have had one of Bridi's later designs which is also larger than the original.  I never said a .40 size is a bad choice, just that it won't power the plane as well as the older 73 Kaos Jr.  Not sure about the .40 Kaos nose, but  my .60 is closed on the bottom and open at the top, not like the original Kaos which was open top and bottom, the later Kaos was completlty closed and streamlined.  Then there are the Chaos versions which are probably completly different designs.

IMO a slower low wing trainer should be used before this plane and the standard .46 engine used, but it will fly with a .40 or even smaller.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you have a ratcheting throttle stick like the rest of us the OS .55 is not to big an engine.  The airplane is capeable of much. After you get use to it and you dile up the rates you are going to be happy you have the extra power. Plus you can't beat the performance and reliability of an OS. I have the 120 AX on a .90 size plane and I love it! 
Old 11-21-2011, 04:34 PM
hobby_man

OS.55AX this is what I have on my Tower Kaos
Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM
hobby_man

OS.55AX this is what I have on my Tower Kaos
Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

There is no replacement for displacement!! HuH.. Use the gas peddle, put your self in the plane, and GIT R DONE lol!! Like driving a car.. Your good at it I think. But you see my point. But bigger is not always better, The guy''s here know what there sayen, And It's great place to hang out and B/S..
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 AM
pkevinb

I have a Saito .62 on mine. Flies it great.