Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Slowing down after landing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Slowing down after landing

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Oberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Slowing down after landing

ORIGINAL: BT00561

I'm glad to hear everyones answers. I have checked the CG and it is spot on, I was hoping to go fly today but the weather is on the crappy side. I will look at moving the CG back just a touch and see how that works and also look into the spoilerons.

Be careful how you adjust your weight around, you want the nose to be a little nose heavy but don't have the plane exactly level at CG. I did that with my Extra 260 and she became very touchy even after I had my Expo set at 85%.

Make little modifications at a time, and when you fly it again and it looks to be a little unstable or touchy, I'd take my time getting it back down being easy on the controls- then I would back track what I had done with the weight distribution. You still want to be comfortable with your airplane at high and low rate. I have fooled around adjusting weight around and have lost control before. Don't want to see you make the same mistake.

If you are comfortable with the way you have your plane setup now, I wouldn't make too many changes with it. Better safe than sorry.

Fokker Dr1's are a hard plane to fly. But Geebee R1 OMG! Definitely not for the faint of heart.

Pete
Old 11-21-2011, 11:16 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone say flaps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43160.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1689431  
Old 11-21-2011, 11:17 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Oberst

Flaperons will work for his type of aircraft, he just has to make sure he doesn't have to much throw on them, 10deg. will be fine.

Pete
If you say so[X(]
Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not use a drouge chute. Kidding of course. Landing is all a matter of setting up your approach to the runway. Landing with to much airspeed is caused by your approach heigth and angle. If you approach the runway at a 45 degree angle coming down the glide slope will reward you with high airspeed. By decreasing the angle to 25 degrees your airspeed will drop and you can begin landing on the numbers. If you have high obstructions on the end of runway than you must learn how to side slip to decrease airspeed and the angle of approach. Model airplanes are not toys and should be flown like their full scale prototypes.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
sandal

In my opinion, flaperons on a 40-size Extra is either dangerous or ineffective. A few degrees will not cause the plane to drop a wing, but it won't do very much for slowing the plane down either. 30-40 degrees will do the job, but it will most likely drop a wing when you use the ailerons. From my point of view spoilerons are a much better choice. It kills lift, creates more drag and does not reduce stability.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:35 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: sandal

In my opinion, flaperons on a 40-size Extra is either dangerous or ineffective. A few degrees will not cause the plane to drop a wing, but it won't do very much for slowing the plane down either. 30-40 degrees will do the job, but it will most likely drop a wing when you use the ailerons. From my point of view spoilerons are a much better choice. It kills lift, creates more drag and does not reduce stability.
Yup.... been there, tried that, seen it too!

Spoilerons yes, flaperons no on the Extra.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
RogerParrett

I have a 40 size Pulse XT that used to land a bit hot, even though I've adjusted the CG.

I ended up programming the radio (Futaba 12FG) to drop the flaperons about 5 degrees on approach. This gives me a more lift so I can reduce the throttle.

Once I touch down, I pull the throttle all the way back (but not killing the engine), which causes the ailerons to go into spoileron mode, raising up about 60 degrees. Ditto for the elevator.

The plane will come to a stop in less than 50 feet on a paved surface.

r/s... Roger Parrett / Dayton / OH
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
opjose

The Pulse has a different wing design than the Extra.

What applies to one does not necessarily apply to the other.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

This thread is all too familliar. Moving the CG back 3/8 to 1/2" will slow it down. I bet a gallon of fuel that he had to apply up trim when he did the maiden. Stay away from soilerons and flaperons on this airplane! By the time you get enough throw to get any speed reduction WILL lead to some seriously squirrely tendancies.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:29 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

You can add wheel brakes....
Flaperons can be very tricky. The wing profile will give you problems.
If it's too much of a problem and you have no chance to reduce weight, I would split the ailerons and use the inside part as dedicated flaps.
Also check the CG.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I am landing on Asphalt, the idle is as low as I can get it, The prop is a 12x6 on an OS .61FX.

I will try the fuel tubing on the axles.

And I will try and set the ailerons to full up with a switch. If anyone has any input on that let me know. Im using a Spektrum DX6i radio.

As for killing the engine on final, I have thought about that but I would rather have it running just in case I need it for a go around.
Question are U landing on the approach end of the runway or half way down the runway like most people do? U can always Land Inverted, works every time ... Slows right down ... Gear Up on a retract plane works well also.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM
jetmech05

the best way I found to check CG is to put the airplane in a 45 deg up line, full power, roll inverted and take your hands off of the sticks...if the airplane climbs nose high you're tail heavy......if the airplane drops the nose you're nose heavy.....this probably won't match the manufactuers CG spot
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Why not use a drouge chute. Kidding of course. Landing is all a matter of setting up your approach to the runway. Landing with to much airspeed is caused by your approach heigth and angle. If you approach the runway at a 45 degree angle coming down the glide slope will reward you with high airspeed. By decreasing the angle to 25 degrees your airspeed will drop and you can begin landing on the numbers. If you have high obstructions on the end of runway than you must learn how to side slip to decrease airspeed and the angle of approach. Model airplanes are not toys and should be flown like their full scale prototypes.
Slips , when done properly, do not increase air speed. A properly executed slip increases angel of decent without increasing air speed.
All good landings are a result of proper approach spe
ed which is a prodect of angle of atack and power. Full scale pilots must deminstrate short field landings where they carry a higher than normal power setting, full flaps, and a high angle of attack, and an air speed just above a stall, right down to the Flair. This can be done with almost any plane. Just takes practice.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:20 PM
BT00561

I am pretty happy with my approach and touchdown. I have a pretty shallow approach on final, and i touchdown at the end of the runway so i have the full length to stop. The plane handles great and I dont want to change any characteristics of it. The only thing I really want is to stop it after touchdown. So i will try the Spoilerons, and even sliding the CG back a little bit.

I am pretty familiar with full scale techniques from my job. But we also have brakes on our aircraft!

Old 11-21-2011, 03:23 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

do you have a 3D rate elvator ? just slam on max deflection and two or three zig zag's

really should be a none issue with your type of airframe when i read the post titel i was thinking's a large 100cc aircraft or bigger . it seem's that's when I'v ran into issue

Old 11-21-2011, 03:50 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Vertical upline at full throttle to about 500 foot...........pull throttle back and stall turn.........nose down and close your eyes..........I promise you it's going to stop on a dime! [X(]

Use the spoileron approach. Just don't deploy them until you're on the ground. Works all the time every time.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:02 PM
jessiej

I have found that running off the pavement and nosing the aircraft over stops it pretty quickly

jess
Old 11-21-2011, 04:12 PM
flycatch

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

As I mention before and this time I'm serious a drag chute will slove your problem. Or better yet installed mechanical drag brakes on the mains. Either your a troll or your approach speed is too high. I fly nothing but taildraggers and most always do wheel landings. If your airspeed on landing is to high, abort and do a go around. The old adage is practise makes perfect and this be may what you are lacking.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Using something like flaperons or spoilerons can jump up and bite you in the ass, it just isn't a brite idea. Not that I haven't used them on more then one plane. My own small Extra, the CG Extra is a free wheeler and can eat up a bunch of runway but it comes in very slow, just rolls very easy. The CG is nutral, a perfect flat spinner. The simple fix was just adding some tension on the wheels. You can zig zag the plane after touch down too. It's not something to be doing trick set ups for or over thinking. KISS
Old 11-21-2011, 05:34 PM
HoundDog

I am pretty happy with my approach and touchdown. I have a pretty shallow approach on final, and i touchdown at the end of the runway so i have the full length to stop. The plane handles great and I dont want to change any characteristics of it. The only thing I really want is to stop it after touchdown. So i will try the Spoilerons, and even sliding the CG back a little bit.

I am pretty familiar with full scale techniques from my job. But we also have brakes on our aircraft!

Than Drag it in behind the power curve and it won't roll very far.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stop-sticks work well to put an end to a police chase. I would think a small pair of stop-sticks would also work if you put them near the end of the runway.

Maybe a thin cable running across the runway would work too.

If all else fails, then just throw rocks at the plane to slow it down.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Find a club with a grass field!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:21 PM
lopflyers

Im surprised, I have a 59 Revolver and as someone said before the thing comes hot.After landing you need to zig zag it with the rudder because if you use elevators.... you guess it, it will take off again[:'(].

On the other hand my 60 size Phoenix Extra lands very slow and smoothly, it has a Saito 62 four stroke that iddles like a cat purrs

Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If this airplane is a "step up" from your previous airplanes then it will take some time to learn to slow it down. And that is normal.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 PM
rc-sport

I had that plane it does land hot, the thin wing and sharp leading edge is the culprit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.