Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Repair is on the bench, And I am not In to it.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Repair is on the bench, And I am not In to it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM
ES CONTROL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair is on the bench, And I am not In to it.

My son inlaw crashed on landing because I yelled THROTTLE ! ( meaning a slight increase)
He hit full throttle ( ZIP!) and the Cub that I gave him , ground looped . CRASH!
After some time I felt responsable , and brought it home to fix. Now I am not into it. Whats Wrong with me???

I think this is my problem : He or I are not wanting to spend on this model . In that Its going to look ugly!
Also this Goldburg Cub is repairable. It needs a windshield fuel tank cowling and 1 roll monocote.
What would You do? Shelf it? Or do the ugly balsa trainer nose look repair.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 PM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Repair is on the bench, And I am not In to it.

Trainer, so he has a chance to train! LOL!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you aren't in a mood to repair right away, set it aside.. they always look better after awhile
Old 12-29-2011, 03:37 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have been a couple that I just wanted to burn afterwards. But I let it sit a while, then maybe guilt sets in and tells me I have to do it. Also, I find if I take on something a little more slowly, a three or four part repair, just part of the first part, then a little more, once I see some progress it seems less of a chore. I had an Alpha trainer that a friend had crashed, and was really dreading starting on. Once begun, it ended up only taking about 2 hours total to complete.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:43 AM
billd76
My Feedback: (3)

I seem to have something that always needs repair I have a giant scale PT19 that l broke in half a few weeks ago, I figured oh well it gives me an excuse to make look better than it did. Going to recover the entire plane. It will be fun and I'm sure I will learn something along the way. Rebiulding also forces me to be patient and that is something that can be hard for me to do.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:22 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm, first of all if you are going to be an instructor perhaps learning to never yell at the student and never assume he has the same understanding of the many phrases we tend to use is very important.

Please don,t take offense as this is one of the many lessons an instructor must learn.

As far as rebuilding goes. Indeed I have always been one to 'Save all the Pieces' untill such time that the timing is right for a reconstruction. Sometimes its very quickly and sometimes it can litteraly turn into many years.

However there will come a time that any project may reach the point where it simply is not worth the cost in your precious bench time. Bench time can be possibly the most important commodity to any modeler and this becomes even more so as one ages. So, in reality only you can and should make the decision and there is no doubt in my mind that that decision will also be affected by where you are along that path down the modeling adventure.

John[8D]

Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate repairs, I would rather build a new plane. I had an Aeromaster with minor damage hanging on my wall for a couple of years. Then I made the repairs, flew it a couple of times and then traded it off. I have a 2 meter pattern plane in my shop now that suffered when I had a radio problem. It's old, the covering is acting like it was glued on so getting it off is way too much work!! The glass fuse is painted and the paint is thick. It's going to require stripping. I just can't get behind doing the repairs on it right now. It isn't going anyplace so when I get bored I will get back to it. One thing though, when I repair, the plane usually looks like new. If I'm going to take the time to do it I try to do it as well as I can. Something like a trainer not so much, as long as it will fly well that's all I care about. The CG Cub is a good plane, I would spend some time on it. Windows I can make myself and a cowl can be had from Fiberglass Specialties. It's still a personal thing though and only you can decide what the plane is worth to you.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 AM
JeffinTD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hobby is supposed to be fun.

If you dont feel like doing it now, I say don't. There may come a windy or rainy day when you feel like messing with it.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:39 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Was it a ground loop, or a flip?      Unless the plane cartwheels from the ground loop, the damage isn't too bad, but flips can really muss up ones hair.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:54 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

When I have a large repair to do that I'm not into I just put the plane in storage and forget about it for awhile. Over several years I either get motivated to repair it or I cannibalize it for parts. It is wise to clean and lube the engine immediately after the crash whether you intend to repair or not.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
cutaway

Its been my experience that repairs/maintenance proceed quickest when you've eventually run out of "grab it and go" airworth planes.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Or the snow is deep, and you have nothing better to do. 

BUT! I can tell you a much better way to get them repaired.  Find a friend who also has a room full of unfinished/broken planes and setup a day a week meet.  I started doing this every Tuesday night after work, and it helped us both out, he has motivation to get his done, and I have a place I can work on mine at. 
Old 12-29-2011, 11:25 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Set it aside, I crashed a plane last month when the engine died on takeoff (tank to low) and I was going downwind……both my fault……… I felt like the plane was totaled (firewall/engine was ripped off, aileron ripped off, and fuse broken in half right behind the wing) took it home anyways instead of tossing it at the field….looked at it a few days later and within 4 hours had it flight ready again….it was a very easy fix….just looked bad….not all of them are like this but usually when you set it aside it isn’t as bad as you think
Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 AM
ES CONTROL

Thanks Guys !  I now started on the wing ,  and  firewall .     Think I will cut in flaps.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: foodstick

If you aren't in a mood to repair right away, set it aside.. they always look better after awhile

So true. After a while after looking at it I start to get depressed- forcing me to start rebuilding the plane so it won't be such a eye sore.

Pete
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 AM
DenverJayhawk

i'm not the best builder. I can put together an ARF cleanly given enough time. But if it comes to repairing splinters, I'll either order a brand new part or hire the local guy at my club that does repairs and enjoys doing them.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: acdii

Or the snow is deep, and you have nothing better to do.

BUT! I can tell you a much better way to get them repaired. Find a friend who also has a room full of unfinished/broken planes and setup a day a week meet. I started doing this every Tuesday night after work, and it helped us both out, he has motivation to get his done, and I have a place I can work on mine at.

Yep that 'll work. Our club has a winter build night on Thursdays. One newer pilot had a banged up trainer and several of us jumped on it and had it lookin' new in just a cuople of nights. Much more fun with buddies!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:24 PM
ES CONTROL

IT is working!!    Thanks everyone !!  You encouraged me!  Now I am on a roll.  Just needed you guys to give me a kick. THANKS!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Oberst
Banned

ORIGINAL: ES CONTROL

IT is working!! Thanks everyone !! You encouraged me! Now I am on a roll. Just needed you guys to give me a kick. THANKS!!!

Hey, look at it this way- you're improving your building skills, and it will improve the more repairs you do like it did me. Now I look forward in restoration of planes that aren't in flying condition.

People say Holy @#^p when they see my discontined modified GP Fokker Dr1 after seeing the before and after photos.

Pete
Old 01-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Sourkraut

I have six crashed/trash canned planes in my fleet....some done in by me and some by others. But resurrecting a given up on plane can be very rewarding....here are a few photos of some that I have resurrected to give you some more insperation that anything is possible.

I need to start taking before pics....

the Raptor was ground looped and mings damaged and nose tore completely off

the Funtana was crashed, saved from the trash can and totally rebuilt

the Hog Bipe was slated for the trashcan due to years of neglect, saved, rebuilt and recovered

the NexStar was crashed, rebuilt and modded

others I don't have photos of... H9 PTS Mustang and H9 Tango.... both broke in half and rebuilt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30157.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1708037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77119.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1708038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz67082.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1708039   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54883.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	1708040  
Old 01-01-2012, 01:56 PM
JeffinTD

Kind of neat when someone comes back to the field with a plane everyone saw get mashed, and everyone comes up to say "nice work"...

Those look nice!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:27 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Doing tradesies with other wrecks is fun too. I see one that I did and think it's going to be a pain, but one that someone else did and I say, "Hey! Free airplane!"
Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 AM
ES CONTROL

Cub is finished !
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 AM
JeffinTD

Photos?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:51 AM
ES CONTROL

Photos?  Sorry , I do not know how .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.