Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Witch Lipo Connector is best?

Yeah, 25w is fine for small wires, but I use a 60w for Deans and other connectors.

One hint with Deans...

Plug the male into the female before you solder.

The irons have a tendancy to melt the plastic as you work, so the other of the pair helps keep the pins in alignment.

The Deans are not recommended for higher amp draws... they are better used for under 50A.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For those of you that use the Andersons, are you using the larger sizes, like 75amp on everything? Or do you just use the next size larger that your current draw?

BYW, these are very popular in the HAM radio community. If you browse HAM stores or "boneyards" you can often find deals on them.
    \"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn\'\'\'\'t thinking.\"
    George S Patton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

Anderson power poles and eliminate the need for soldering.
    Yup, this ^ ∞!! I've switched ti APPs and haven't looked back. They're a big more expensive, but man are they so easy to use. And they use crimp connections, so no soldering!!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #46

http://www.BlueAppleHerps.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MX5Seeker

For those of you that use the Andersons, are you using the larger sizes, like 75amp on everything?* Or do you just use the next size larger that your current draw?

BYW, these are very popular in the HAM radio community.* If you browse HAM stores or ''boneyards'' you can often find deals on them.
    i use the 30 amp PP connections for everything so far, including my 8 cell 2000watt Slick and 74" Edge. You really only need the 75 amp if the wire gauge is too thick to use the smaller connectors. In fact my crimpers only work on the 15, 30, and 45amp connections.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine are all deans because everybody has them...you may forget your charger or need a loaner battery...,But I like the XT60 and wished I would have used those..They are easier to solder,cheap, and carry more amp then deans..I don`t like crimped connections..they pull out unless done perfect.the biggest problem I see with guys that don`t like to solder is there weapon of choice..don`t use some sissy 30 watt iron..go to home depot and get a 100/140 watt gun. you don`t need to hold it on the wire for like 20 seconds and shrink your tubing and all that...it should take like 3 seconds with the correct tool.
    Your gonna wreck some planes if you want to be a good pilot...Try not to wreck them, putting them together 1/2 ***.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank You! This what I needed to hear.
    Walmart failed me again.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sears!  I got a nice gun from there, up to 400 watts. Does a nice job too.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've used the XT 60s and the HK T Deans type connectors and it's a tossup which is best. They both work well.
    Gord
    Dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mazjag

Mine are all deans because everybody has them...you may forget your charger or need a loaner battery...,But I like the XT60 and wished I would have used those..They are easier to solder,cheap, and carry more amp then deans..
    I like the XT60's as well.

For larger setups I really like those red 4mm and bigger bananna type connectors they sell. They prevent you from hooking things up incorrectly but the actual hardware is not polarity specific.

That means you can make up all sorts of different connects and genders from the one type. There is no separate male or female. You can rig it up to be either.

It takes a try or two to get the plastic covers to "sit" properly but once done the connectors go together and come apart without problems.

You just have to remember to put the plastic cover on over the wires FIRST, then solder the connectors in place, You pull the red covers out towards the connectors to lock them in place.
    No shrink wrap is used.

The larger units are good for fairly high voltage and amperage levels.

Inexpensive, easy to solder, easy to adapt.

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Without a proper crimping tool, the connections can be lousy and end up generating heat and resistance. Solder nearly ALWAYS beats a crimp connection because EVERY strand in the wire is included in the connection. With a crimp, you can miss that.
    Michael Kranitz

www.RCFlightDeck.com
    www.RCCarCal.com
    Who's Flying Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)
    Who's Racing Where App (WhoWhereApp.com)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm with Michael. Solder.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #1
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I use a 40 watt iron for Deans connectors with no problems. I flux and tin both the wire end and connector contact, then I touch them together and heat the connector. I add a bit of solder to fill in the joint when the tinning melts and wind up with a very strong connection. I look it over to make sure it has that frosted look and give the wires a good yank in every direction to make sure they are stuck properly. It definitely takes a little longer to get them hot with the small iron, but if you'll put the heat onto the connector instead of the wire there's not much worry about shrinking the tubing before you're ready.
    No kid, I said break ground and fly into the wind!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tip: When you are doing this with the Dean's connectors, it helps to put on a spare Deans connector of the opposite gender, on the connector you are soldering.

e.g. If you are soldering a female connector, plug in a spare male connector NORMALLY to it.

This helps keep the back of the metal cool and not melt the plastic, and if the plastic is partially melted, it remains in place because of the mate.

-

That is one reason I prefer the snap in ( red plastic round covers ) bullet plug connectors HK and others sell, that seem to be coming standard with many LiPos now-a-days..

With these you can heat the bullet plugs as hot as you want to get good flow, without worrying about melting anything...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mkranitz

Without a proper crimping tool, the connections can be lousy and end up generating heat and resistance. Solder nearly ALWAYS beats a crimp connection because EVERY strand in the wire is included in the connection. With a crimp, you can miss that.
    Actually, soldering rarely beats crimping in the connection. That's why full scale aircraft rarely use soldering on main wire connections. It's too susceptible to variations in soldering capabilities.

And if you choose to use APPs, then you just need to pony up for the 40 dollar crimping tool. It's cheaper than a good soldering iron, so I didn't have any problem with buying one.

Of course, i still have my trusty 60w hobbico iron for the rare times when i have to solder. This is mainly for bullet connections on the motor/esc now. But anything on the battery/esc/lipo charging side is now PowerPoles. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Also, if you get the 45A connectors, you don't have to worry about missed wires in the crimp.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: opjose

Tip: When you are doing this with the Dean's connectors, it helps to put on a spare Deans connector of the opposite gender, on the connector you are soldering.

e.g. If you are soldering a female connector, plug in a spare male connector NORMALLY to it.

This helps keep the back of the metal cool and not melt the plastic, and if the plastic is partially melted, it remains in place because of the mate.

-

That is one reason I prefer the snap in ( red plastic round covers ) bullet plug connectors HK and others sell, that seem to be coming standard with many LiPos now-a-days..

With these you can heat the bullet plugs as hot as you want to get good flow, without worrying about melting anything...

I've been doing that whenever i solder Dean's. However, apparently Dean's has said not to do this because it can make a bad connection with the opposite sex side after you're done soldering.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been doing that whenever i solder Dean's. However, apparently Dean's has said not to do this because it can make a bad connection with the opposite sex side after you're done soldering.
    Weird.

I'd imagine that if you get the metal too hot, the opposite connector could push the one you are working on away, making a looser connection... but by that point the plastic would be so soft that without the opposite connector in place, the metal block will just sag in place.

I think I'll go against Dean's advice on this one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have never had a problem soldering deans with a 25watt iron and now that i have a cheap 20 dollar 50watt with temp control iron.... It is even easier since I have control over the heat I want.
    But I left deans long ago for XT60 for all batters 3s and below and the HK big red bullet plugs for 4s and above packs. Haven't looked back. I did have a lot of problems soldering the big bullets because my old iron was too weak but my 50watt one does a fine job.
    MGT 4.6 w/ JP-3 (In the future)| MGT 3.0 | OFNA DM-1 Pro (future) | Savage Flux 2350 | Associated T4 FT CL | Lots a Planes!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: opjoset
    I'd imagine that if you get the metal too hot, the opposite connector could push the one you are working on away, making a looser connection... but by that point the plastic would be so soft that without the opposite connector in place, the metal block will just sag in place.

I think I'll go against Dean's advice on this one.

yeah. i've been doing this ever since you recommended it without a problem. But apparently some folks have experienced a loose connection and loss of power while flying. Upon crash inspection, it turned out the deans connection between the male/female side was loose and you could jiggle it slightly to break the connection even when it was plugged together.

It doesn't matter to me any more since i've gone with APPs for batteries. But just telling you what I was told.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, soldering rarely beats crimping in the connection. That's why full scale aircraft rarely use soldering on main wire connections. It's too susceptible to variations in soldering capabilities.

And if you choose to use APPs, then you just need to pony up for the 40 dollar crimping tool. It's cheaper than a good soldering iron, so I didn't have any problem with buying one.

Of course, i still have my trusty 60w hobbico iron for the rare times when i have to solder. This is mainly for bullet connections on the motor/esc now. But anything on the battery/esc/lipo charging side is now PowerPoles. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Also, if you get the 45A connectors, you don't have to worry about missed wires in the crimp.
    But you MUST have the tool. That was my point. A pair of pliers makes a lousy crimp. I reread my post and I was confusing.
    Michael Kranitz

www.RCFlightDeck.com
    www.RCCarCal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

But you MUST have the tool. That was my point. A pair of pliers makes a lousy crimp. I reread my post and I was confusing.
    This is true. To use APP's, you really need to pony up for the 39.99 crimper to make the proper connection. Just like with Dean's or anything else that requires soldering, you have a one time expense to purchase the correct tools (soldering iron) necessary for the job. Since my hobbico 60w iron was only about 15 dollars, i didn't mind investing in the crimper. But in any case, you are correct that you MUST have the crimpers for a good connection with APPs..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The reason Deans doesn't want you to plug in the opposite end is, now you've added another heatsink that is drawing heat away from the piece you're trying to solder, heating the plastic even more. I use the trusty old weller soldering gun with no problems. The secret is to heat up the tip of the gun till it starts to smoke, before soldering. I have no problems with 10 gauge wire with the gun. After tinning both the deans and the wire, let them cool, then put the wire on the Deans terminal and and put the heated tip on the wire till it bonds to the terminal. After soldering, the joint should look shiny. This is just my method and there are many choices, so try a number of them and use what you're comfortable with. I made this handy little clothspin holder as a third hand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hf98816.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	1783620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id96355.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	129.2 KB 
ID:	1783621  
    Gord
    Dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I raced electric RC car's on a high level going as far back as 93, and nobody crimps wires.
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #1
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #105

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can the original poster use the correct spelling of WHICH. Every time I see the thread, I expect goblins.
    Michael Kranitz

www.RCFlightDeck.com
    www.RCCarCal.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can the original poster use the correct spelling of WHICH. Every time I see the thread, I expect goblins.
    Same here! Lipo with a pointed hat on broom come to mind

SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12