Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

eflite retracts 60-120 size

I'm planning to put retracts in my new kit Top Flite P-51 1/7th scale. Has anyone here installed an E-Flite electric retracts 60-120 size for a RC Glow Plain? I'm worried about the vibrations the nitro engines can produce. Can the retracts move the extra weights, such as; Robart Robostruts? And finally, how is the construction and the build of the e-flite retracts? Do they operate reliably?

Jimmy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: eflite retracts 60-120 size

There are a number of folk out there who have used them in build threads on gas or nitro planes, all sound happy, with not a single complaint I've seen.
    I'd be using them if/when I get around to building their 60 sized P47 kit.
    Raptor 50 Nitro heli - OS50 Hyper
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used them on my AT-6. I felt they worked just fine. They don't, however, hold up to being removed from the airframe once installed, by being pulled out by an Ash tree. I had the 120 sized AT-6, and the Zenoah G26. They held up much better than the original pneumatic retracts that the plane came with. They are simple to install, and I tested them at least 100 times on the ground to see how consistently they would cycle, and checking battery drain. I had no issues with operation of the retracts, and using the same 2000mah battery as on the receiver, I didn't feel that there would be any issues powering them. This was by observation using a Voltwatch during operation. While they aren't cheap, I give the reliability factor a +10.
    http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm
    Sign over Ready Room Door: \"Complacency Kills\" - Thimk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72

There are a number of folk out there who have used them in build threads on gas or nitro planes, all sound happy, with not a single complaint I've seen.
    I built that kit and put Robart mechanical retracts operated by JR retract servo. You will save yourself about 6 hours by putting them in instead. You will have to learn how to land this. You have to fly it right to the ground, and stall it on the ground, to avoid nose over. When you do it correctly, it is a thing of beauty. When you go through taxi testing is when you figure out how much nose heavy it has to be to fly. If you shift the weight too far to the rear, it will become very elevator sensitive, and still want to nose over. Giving it extra throw to taxi with is helpful, just remember to turn off the high rates once you start to roll out, you don't need all that throw in the air.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk26201.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	1709557  
    http://www.tailhook.org/AVSLANG.htm
    Sign over Ready Room Door: \"Complacency Kills\" - Thimk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bingo field

I built that kit and put Robart mechanical retracts operated by JR retract servo. You will save yourself about 6 hours by putting them in instead. You will have to learn how to land this. You have to fly it right to the ground, and stall it on the ground, to avoid nose over. When you do it correctly, it is a thing of beauty. When you go through taxi testing is when you figure out how much nose heavy it has to be to fly. If you shift the weight too far to the rear, it will become very elevator sensitive, and still want to nose over. Giving it extra throw to taxi with is helpful, just remember to turn off the high rates once you start to roll out, you don't need all that throw in the air.
    Nice feedback on the TF P47 there bingo field, I have a H9 P51 60 Blue Nose that I'm starting when I have time next week (powered by a DLE20) .... that baby should huh like there is no tomorrow!
    That said, I will be adding an 'intermediate' plane into the mix before flying that specific plane as I want to get a few things down pat first (insurance from my trainer that got squashed in the Dec 23rd 6.0 quake will come in quite nicely I think) [:@][:@]
    56\" Yak54 w/ ASP.61 2 stroke, 73" gas Sbach 342, H9 P51 blue nose in progress (with DLE20)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72

I have just installed them in a TF P-47 60 size plane. They went in very easy. I am using them with these struts:

http://www.rcskylite.com/products/40...underbolt.html

Some people have had problems early on but Horizon replaced the problem ones. I am not ready to maiden my plane yet and will not until spring. I will be reporting on how they work out at that time.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, I'll give the E-flite electric retracts a try. Will order them once I get started on my P-51 this weekend.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I finished mounting the eflite retracts. Surprised how robust it is. Should be able to take a beating. I should have my top flight p 51 done in about 4 weekends.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

E-flite retracts for a P-51 .... Look into the 85* retracts For the diehedral in the wing
    spitfire brotherhood #47 West Coast Squadron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got the 85deg. Its close to perfect. Plenty of power to lift robostruts and 3 1/4 tires. Once this project is done I'm panning to build the mentor with eflite tri gear.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone think they would work in an ESM SBD-Dauntless. This plane weighs about 14 pounds. The specs state they will handle up to 15 pounds
    , but I'd like to hear from someone who has used these in an airplane of this weight. Most other air or elec retracts available cost as much as the entire plane!

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the 90 degree e-flite retracts and should of got the 85's because of the dihedral in the wing, is it possible to adjust the linkages perhaps to get 85 degrees in the retract without having to re-order the 85's

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm also using e-flite retracts  in my kyosho spit 90 . this plane has a 73 ws . i'm using the factory struts from the plane since the legs  have a differtent angle to them . But I don't think I'll have any problem , as long as I don't weifgt them down by using a different wheel . I did add some bracing to the mounting area  of the LG . 
    spitfire brotherhood #47 West Coast Squadron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

guys,
    where can i buy the eflite retracts size 1.20?
    thanks
    Hisham
    Scratch building is my Way of life.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

we have the Air Retracts 60-120 kit, http://store.hobby-china.com/Wholesa...racts_c23.html

RC Model Online Shopping http://store.hobby-china.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

KiwiBob

I have a P51 Bluenose that I'm going to install Eflite retracts. The mechanical ones are a pain. Which Eflite retracts are you using? Any mod to the wing for install? Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: biffster55

*KiwiBob

I have a P51 Bluenose that I'm going to install Eflite retracts. The mechanical ones are a pain. Which Eflite retracts are you using? Any mod to the wing for install? Thanks!

Sorry, I stayed with the Mustang, and never got the TF P47 kit ... though my Dad did.
    My understanding is that the 85degree 60-120 size mains (re wing angle and plane size) are the way to go (refer to the above comments as to how one person with them found their performance).
    There are also a lot of 'scale' landing struts out there there that will work well with them. Just refer to the E-flight spec's for strut hole size, then find the right diameter and length scale strut to suit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    About a year ago, I had problems with the E Flite 60-120 85Deg retracts. Turned out that they were drawing much more current that specified.
    After a fair amount piddling around, I managed to reduce the peak current to an acceptable level, although it was still a bit higher than the spec.
    We tried more than one set, and those tested at the time all had the same issues.
    Moving forward, I had occasion to purchase another set, along with some other stuff.
    The new set was checked immediately on receipt. Lo and behold, the new set actually met the current spec.
    What is the basic difference? For one readily noticeable difference, the new set is a bit quieter in operation, and somewhat slower.
    Perhaps the motors were changed?

You might want to look at wingspan retracts if your looking on using electric retracts. Im using them in a hanger 9 P51. Not one problem after a year of flying with them.