Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gas RC was a mistake !!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gas RC was a mistake !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas RC was a mistake !!!!

sound like you went to baycity.
i fly at trac and live around the erlich/veterans area.

some instructors are compatable with all people. some instructors won't even help out an electric. even though i prove i can out perform them with an electric all the time.

the instructor sould adapt to you wants and skill levels.. if you want rudder .. then he should be alble to add that in.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Tampaflyer

dang, just wrote a large pm.. but it wasn't enabled.. lost it...

but in the tampa area if you face book :

http://www.facebook.com/groups/283901963722/
tampabay radio control flyers.. not club orented just a way for the area to let every one know whats going on
Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Tampaflyer

and at the time i am writing this most of the guys on that facebok page are veiwing it... hi guys
Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 AM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical "I know more than you, and do what I say" type of dummy. You watch this guy, and you will start to see TONS of things he does at the field that makes him look more dumb everyday. I say, do your thing and have fun..."Gas",, also means nitro, is awesome to fly...electric's have a ton of advantages, but they will never sound as cool as a running engine!!..Love the sound of a radial...Anyway, tell this guy to please stay away from you, since he really don't know how to teach.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:21 AM
dgholmes59

ORIGINAL: YearningtoFly

Trained on the sim extensively. Feel confident.

Started with parkflyers. No issues.

Decided to get a gas trainer, look at clubs and an instructor.

Instructor tells me...no rudder.....you wont even touch the rudder when you fly with me. Most guys and instructors dont use the rudder out here.

Want to buy a gas trainer and radio?

Park is where it is at for me.
Some other guys have posted that we might not be answering you correctly with the replies. To be honest, I am no sure whether this post is a rant or you really need advice. If advice, I am not sure what it is. Could you elaborate a little more.

1. "You have trained on the Sim extensively." This is great and will put you ahead of many flying club members pretty quickly.
2. "Started with a parkflyer with no issues." My assumption is it was a 3 channel parkflyer. I also assume you taught yourself. Great, the simulator did pay off.
3. "Decided to get a gas trainer, look at clubs and an instructor." This is where I start to not understand.
    [*]Were you wanting to get into glow? See the third bullet below.[*]Were you wanting to move to aileron planes? ( you can do this in electric without moving to glow. Also, if you are already flying you don't need an instructor to add ailerons but might help a little in confidence.)[*]Were you wanting to be part of a club? (You can do this with electric, glow or gas. I personally have all three and love all three including two 4 channel parkflyers. I love going two blocks to fly in the park instead of 20 miles to the field)[*]Were you needing the instructor to teach you glow, because you already know how to fly including rudder if you have been flying 3 channel. (This is why I am in a club. To learn all the different aspects of this sport - glow, gas and electric. They all have there differences and there is much to learn in each, but mainly just in the power plant. Flying the plane just gets easier the bigger it gets,)[/list]4. "The instructor tells me...no rudder.." and then you ask if someone wants to buy your glow trainer and radio. How did you get here? Did the instructor yell at you when you used the rudder? You obviously did not need any instruction on the rudder because you have been using the rudder when flying the three channel airplane. This doesn't change when you move to 4 channel. With the Cub style planes or most any other electric or glow trainers, the rudder will still turn the airplane. In fact, trainers are very hard to roll inverted with the aileronswithout using the rudder. Ailerons alone is very difficult, at least on my PT-60 it is. The rudder has the most authority in this type airplane (this is how I crashed my first trainer because the ailerons would not counter my rudder input that was opposite because of an incorrect servo installation). The ailerons just help in getting a cleaner turn. You could actually never use the ailerons on most trainers and fly them quite well with rudder and elevator as you are doing now. You also need to keep the radio if you are going to move to 4 channel flight, even in electrics, or more. I have the Eflite Edge 540 and Seagull Xray parkflyers and both need 5 channels because there are two servos on the ailerons (well, you could use a Y-connector and still use 4 channels).

I just started flying last September, so I still remember what being a novice is all about including that first day at the club field with all those other pilots. I now have 9 airplanes from electric parkflyers to a 55 cc gas extra. I love every single plane I own and would never only fly one style. The electric for the convenience and my big gasser because it flyes so well and is less trouble than my glow). But the glow engines have so much power for the size. And I love fiddling with the engines trying to get the most out of them.

When I started last year, my plan was to learn to fly from the instructor and then start flying by myself after soloing. I did not want to fly with a bunch of arogant blow hards in a club. Come to find out I was wrong. These other RC guys were great and love to help you and now I hate to even go fly without some of them at the field too. Just not as fun and I don't learn as much.

My point is, there is nothing wrong with flying only park flyers, if that is what YOU want to do. Park flyers are a lot of fun and there are some pretty high performance 4 channel electric park flyers. It just depends on what YOU want to do. But I will let you in on a secret, there is no way I could be where I am today in 18 months, in flying skills-in multiple airframe types and powerplants, if it were not for my local club. These guys have been invaluable. And the largest contributer was NOT my flight instructor. He just taught me to fly.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:26 AM
dgholmes59

And on the simulator. Keep it up. Because of the simulator, I soloed faster than anyone my instructor had trained. It is funny, when I would perform a new maneuver such as a harrier, hover or flying inverted over the runway, some of the guys would say, "looks like he's been on the simulator again." Yep. LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 07:32 AM
koastrc

Instructors, students, know it all, experts and the guy you can ask anything, BUT you can't tell him nothing. We all come in contact with all kinds. Some that call them self, instructor, that don't have a clue how to teach. Some that call them self, students, that will not learn. Each of you have done a good job pointing out many things. It is good to have a site like this that does give a new comer a fighting chance. Thank goodness the beat goes on.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 AM
YearningtoFly

ORIGINAL: dgholmes59

"Decided to get a gas trainer, look at clubs and an instructor." This is where I start to not understand.
cant get to where i want to get withoutflying at aclub

cant club until i meet their requirements

their requirements threw me a loop or really the whole "no rudder" debate in the hobby threw me

not really intrested being a club member to begin with

Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 AM
DougB1
My Feedback: (11)

''Decided to get a gas trainer, look at clubs and an instructor.'' This is where I start to not understand.
cant get to where i want to get without flying at a club

their requirements threw me a loop or really the whole ''no rudder'' debate in the hobby threw me

Sure is BORING flying by yourself and how you going to learn such things as building skills, engine repair, types of glues to use,electrical info for electric motors and batteries and the list goes on. Yes you can read articles but there is nothing like info from long time hobbyist.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 AM
YearningtoFly

ORIGINAL: DougB1
Sure is BORING flying by yourself and how you going to learn such things as building skills, engine repair, types of glues to use,electrical info for electric motors and batteries and the list goes on. Yes you can read articles but there is nothing like info from long time hobbyist.
i find more pleasure in flying solo....not seeking social interaction

but the clubs have the monopoly on the flying space suitable for the type of flying I thought I wanted to do
Old 01-07-2012, 09:08 AM
dgholmes59

Okay, Now I think I understand. You really want to fly alone on a good airfield.

1. Flying with or without a rudder is not a club rule anywhere, so this is really not an issue. I fly with a rudder all the time and no one really knows or cares.
2. When I soloed, I wanted to fly alone because I felt a little intimidated being the only beginner. Not sure if this is your case or not. At my airfield, you can fly anytime you like by yourself with no one their. In fact, I get a lot of flying alone time because I fly more than the specified club time. Ours is pretty informal, but I have talked to other formal clubs and I think they issue keys to members for flying off hours.
3. You can fly an electric on a club field. Many pilots do now because of the convenience. (My buddies poke at me a little saying it is too quiet. Another loved it so much, he bought him electrics).

Like I said, if you don't want to be in a club, don't. You can get all the flying you want and progress very well in the park environment. But as others mentioned, the experience sure will put you ahead faster. In fact, I struggle with all the electric stuff more than glow or gas. Their is so much to learn as far as motors, batteries, esc, etc. I did know until recently that I was killing my lipos by storing them fully charged. That is contrary to normal battery storage.

Their are all kinds associated with flying clubs. Some are blow hards and some are not. In my experience, the blow hards don't fly as well and I quickly passed them by in flying ability. But most, are great.

This is really your choice and nothing we say can change that. But x-novice to novice, you will progress much faster flying with others. Especially when you crash and have to rebuild that Great Planes Pt-60 that you just nosed down, full throttle into an asphalt runway. OMG what a freaking mess. I rebuilt the plane and am now training my 70+ year old dad to fly the same plane. What a great time we are having. Wish we could have done it earlier in life!!
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM
DougB1

One other thing to consider is the "SAFETY FACTOR" There has been serious injuries and even deaths at airfields and flying by yourself is not a good idea anytime. People have been hit by their own airplanes and killed ! You would think that a person would have sense enough to get out of the way but things happen so fast that there is not time to move or they get fixated seeing the plane and stand there like a possum. We have had guys at our field that has gotten cut by both electric and glow powered planes so badly and have had to take them to the emergency room to get stitched up. One guy even CUT OFF three of his last fingers on his left hand. He was trying to flip start his big cap ( plane had a hold down on tail ) and every time he flipped it it moved back just a little. It finnaly started and he opened it up and it moved forward and it startled him and for some reason he put his left hand out to protect himself and put his hand in the prop. [:@] If it is your decision to fly alone, beware of the consequent's if no one is around to help you.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 AM
dgholmes59

One other thing to consider is the "SAFETY FACTOR" There has been serious injuries and even deaths at airfields and flying by yourself is not a good idea anytime. People have been hit by their own airplanes and killed ! You would think that a person would have sense enough to get out of the way but things happen so fast that there is not time to move or they get fixated seeing the plane and stand there like a possum. We have had guys at our field that has gotten cut by both electric and glow powered planes so badly and have had to take them to the emergency room to get stitched up. One guy even CUT OFF three of his last fingers on his left hand. He was trying to flip start his big cap ( plane had a hold down on tail ) and every time he flipped it it moved back just a little. It finnaly started and he opened it up and it moved forward and it startled him and for some reason he put his left hand out to protect himself and put his hand in the prop. [:@] If it is your decision to fly alone, beware of the consequent's if no one is around to help you.
Very good point. I have been to the emergency room to sew up my hand while trying to adjust the main needle. So stupid. But that was at home in the front yard with my wife home. Thank goodness my wife was there. Another one of my buddies bought a large plane at a swap meet. He was getting it ready to fly, revving the engine while holding the canopy. The canopy broke loose and the plane lunged forward and cut his inner thigh a lot. Lucky it missed the main artery and people were there to assist. Still bled like crazy but fixed it with a paper towel and carton tape. And cranking my big 55 cc plane does scare me when I am alone. I typically will not fly it without help. Quite intimidating to have a 22-10 prop spinning so fast so close. Glad you brought that up Doug! Many people don't consider the dangers of this hobby after you progress past the parkflyer. Another reason you will be reprimanded for flying behing the flight line.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 AM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

Is it really bad to store fully charged li-po's? If so, what is the best way to discharge them? I have 3 that way.

Okay, Now I think I understand. You really want to fly alone on a good airfield.

1. Flying with or without a rudder is not a club rule anywhere, so this is really not an issue. I fly with a rudder all the time and no one really knows or cares.
2. When I soloed, I wanted to fly alone because I felt a little intimidated being the only beginner. Not sure if this is your case or not. At my airfield, you can fly anytime you like by yourself with no one their. In fact, I get a lot of flying alone time because I fly more than the specified club time. Ours is pretty informal, but I have talked to other formal clubs and I think they issue keys to members for flying off hours.
3. You can fly an electric on a club field. Many pilots do now because of the convenience. (My buddies poke at me a little saying it is too quiet. Another loved it so much, he bought him electrics).

Like I said, if you don't want to be in a club, don't. You can get all the flying you want and progress very well in the park environment. But as others mentioned, the experience sure will put you ahead faster. In fact, I struggle with all the electric stuff more than glow or gas. Their is so much to learn as far as motors, batteries, esc, etc. I did know until recently that I was killing my lipos by storing them fully charged. That is contrary to normal battery storage.

Their are all kinds associated with flying clubs. Some are blow hards and some are not. In my experience, the blow hards don't fly as well and I quickly passed them by in flying ability. But most, are great.

This is really your choice and nothing we say can change that. But x-novice to novice, you will progress much faster flying with others. Especially when you crash and have to rebuild that Great Planes Pt-60 that you just nosed down, full throttle into an asphalt runway. OMG what a freaking mess. I rebuilt the plane and am now training my 70+ year old dad to fly the same plane. What a great time we are having. Wish we could have done it earlier in life!!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM
dgholmes59

ORIGINAL: levram1

Is it really bad to store fully charged li-po's? If so, what is the best way to discharge them? I have 3 that way.
You should discharge your LIPO battery to 40 to 50% even if stored for a week. I use the Thunder T6 multicharger, but there are many microprocessor based chargers that have a LIPO "storage mode." If the LIPO is discharged, it will charge it to the 50% and discharge them if above 50%. The cell voltage should be between 3.8 to 3.85 unloaded for storage. As you can see, you can also store them in a refrigerator to extend life further. I don't do this. Proper storage is to discharge/charge the battery to 50% and store in a cool environment. Heat and storing at full charge depletes the capacity pretty quickly.

You could also discharge the packs by flying and then charge to 50%.

You can use the Hyperion EOS sentry for measuring the cells. I use the Hyperion for all of my planes because it shows the % of charge left in the pack. One of my buddies crashed last week because his receiver battery was dead. $25 meter would have saved it.

http://www.hobbycom.com/ProductDetai...SENTRY&click=2

From Batteryuniversity.com,

Battery Temperature

Permanent capacity loss when
stored at 40% state-of-charge
(recommended storage charge level)

Permanent capacity loss when
stored at 100% state-of-charge
(typical user charge level)

0°C

25°C

40°C

60°C

2% loss in 1 year; 98% remaining

4% loss in 1 year; 96% remaining

15% loss in 1 year; 85% remaining

25% loss in 1 year 75%; remaining

6% loss in 1 year; 94% remaining

20% loss in 1 year; 80% remaining

35% loss in 1 year; 65% remaining

40% loss in 3 months

Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM
YearningtoFly

kid at hobby store sold me 15% synthetic cool power............no castor

found manual for motor it says do not run in with synthetic you need castor

argh where are my golf clubs
Old 01-07-2012, 02:56 PM
DougB1

What motor do you have ?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:04 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Very good point. I have been to the emergency room to sew up my hand while trying to adjust the main needle. So stupid. But that was at home in the front yard with my wife home. Thank goodness my wife was there. Another one of my buddies bought a large plane at a swap meet. He was getting it ready to fly, revving the engine while holding the canopy. The canopy broke loose and the plane lunged forward and cut his inner thigh a lot...
Moral of the stories, do not adjust or run up the engine while in front of it. Such things should be done from behind the engine.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:08 PM
dgholmes59

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Moral of the stories, do not adjust or run up the engine while in front of it. Such things should be done from behind the engine.
Yep, expensive lesson to learn.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:10 PM
YearningtoFly

What motor do you have ?

Thunder Tiger Pro .46
Old 01-07-2012, 03:24 PM
rv9-a

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant get to where i want to get without flying at a club

their requirements threw me a loop or really the whole ''no rudder'' debate in the hobby threw me

Other than the fact that the instructor says you will NEVER touch the rudder. (I suspect he only uses it for getting around on the ground)
What are the requirements for joining this club?

rv9-a
Old 01-07-2012, 03:45 PM
dgholmes59

My TT Pro 40 recommends caster during the break-in period as well, but it does say castor/synthetic blend in the previous sentence. I personally am switching to synthetic because the guys that run synthetic have cleaner engines. More important than whether you are running castor or synthetic is to make sure the engine runs rich during the breakin so it does not get too hot. Plus, the extra lubricant from running rich aids in doing the final machining of the piston and sleeve. For that matter, you never want it to run hot. I use a tachometer and set the main needle rich by approximately 300-400 rpm.

It only takes a few tanks of fuel to break in the TT Pro, so you might just use some castor fuel from one of your buddies at the field, if you are concerned using the synthetic. Then switch to the synthetic afterwards.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:46 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Not really an issue unless it has less then 18% oil overall. Castor just gives you a little more protection if you run too lean. Set the needle correctly and it's a non issue. I run nothing but synthetics in my engines.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:50 PM
levram1
My Feedback: (1)

I just ordered a Thunder AC680. Will that work?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Tampaflyer

this is why a club is usefull. you would be suprized at the "experts" at a hobby to*#n. and a club allows you to see what is being used and actually works.

and cool power is fine. .. and really on that motor on that plane.. break ins are great.. but ususally not needed. the motor will still far out last the plane..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.