Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need just a little bit of help,,ya right!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need just a little bit of help,,ya right!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need just a little bit of help,,ya right!!

I think I am having problems with the LSN. When I bring the engine back to idle, it will idle for a short time then gradually keep slowing down until it quits. Does that sound like a LSN problem.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Need just a little bit of help,,ya right!!

Sounds like it's rich on the Low End (or just rich in general)
Old 01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

That would be what I would look to as well but just for grins lets dig deeper. What engine? What plug? What fuel, nitro content, oil content, age, exposed to air or 100% sealed? All these things can be a factor.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

+5

dont be afraid to mess with the needles....i have a custom long screwdriver i made out of thin music wire and a wooden dowl just for tuning the low end while the engine is running....keeps your hand out of the prop arc
Old 01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

+5

dont be afraid to mess with the needles....i have a custom long screwdriver i made out of thin music wire and a wooden dowl just for tuning the low end while the engine is running....keeps your hand out of the prop arc

Well, yes and no. If the engine was running fine one day and then not the next it is not going to be a needle adjustment. Not saying this is the case as the OP did not mention much detail but check wear items ( Plug, fuel, fuel filter, fuel lines ) before messing with needles on an engine that previously ran fine.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

+5

Well, yes and no. If the engine was running fine one day and then not the next it is not going to be a needle adjustment. Not saying this is the case as the OP did not mention much detail but check wear items ( Plug, fuel, fuel filter, fuel lines ) before messing with needles on an engine that previously ran fine.

Engine has not been run for 8 to 10 months. Magnum pro 46. 15% fuel. OS-3 plug. I guess I through it was too lean so I richen it up about 1/2 turn. Will try leaning it out.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:59 PM
speedracerntrixie

Ok engine has not been run for almost a year. Is the fuel that old? Before letting it sit that long did you flush out the fuel that was in the engine and oil it? Have you checked the tank and all your lines? Fuel being left in an engine is bad. It wil attract moisture and rust your bearings and crank. Sometimes small rust particles can bond to the platinum plug element and kill the plug. It may look OKand light up when inspected but won't retain heat. May be a good idea to pull the rear cover and take a look. Did it run well before the storage?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: speedracerntrixie

Ok engine has not been run for almost a year. Is the fuel that old? Before letting it sit that long did you flush out the fuel that was in the engine and oil it? Have you checked the tank and all your lines? Fuel being left in an engine is bad. It wil attract moisture and rust your bearings and crank. Sometimes small rust particles can bond to the platinum plug element and kill the plug. It may look OK and light up when inspected but won't retain heat. May be a good idea to pull the rear cover and take a look. Did it run well before the storage?
Fuel is not old. Used it today in another plane. Used after run oil before putting in a baggie. I had been flying the plane with another engine, just decided to change and try this one. To the best of my knowledge it did run good before I put it up. I took the HSN out with I stored it so it would not get broken off.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

engines that sit around i recommend a flight or two at high throttle to help clear out the castor/old oil in the engine before seriously tuneing it.
with the glow ignitor on does the engine slow down after a while? if so you are rich
if it doesnt, try leaning the idle until it does not slow down.....however if it never stops slowing down try replaceing the plug

or do it in reverse
use a new plug, tune the engine till it does not slow down after long periods at idle, then install the old plug and see how bad it really is (asumeing the new plug is the same # as the old one)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:07 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the tricks I have used to determine if the idle is too rich is after removing the ignitor, as the engine starts to slow down, carefully put the ignitor back on, and if the rpms increase, you could be too rich, or, I have had a couple of glow plugs that would do that too. Just remember to only make one correction at a time, so you don't lose track of what it was that actually fixed the problem, or having fixed the problem with one "cure", you induce another problem with the second "cure".