Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Semi-Symmetrical, Hi-wing, ARF/RTF Options?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Semi-Symmetrical, Hi-wing, ARF/RTF Options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Semi-Symmetrical, Hi-wing, ARF/RTF Options?

Deandome did you ever decide on a plane to get? I still haven't flown my new big stik 40 but I am chomping at the bits. I did get my AMA card and am looking at joining a club. Something I haven't done in a couple of decades.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:28 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
A much better trainer that than Gold Berg Falcon , is the Kyosho "Calmato" high winged trainer!
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...roup_id=100032
Old 01-25-2012, 10:36 AM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sticks are fully symmetrical, but don't let that scare you. They are very forgiving when built with the stock dihedral and they slow down very well. If you are competent with the trainer they will seem easier to fly than the trainer. The trainers are constantly trying to right themselves and you have to fight them to do any aggressive maneuvers while the stiks go where you point them.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Deandome

I've always liked the Calmato, Jaka, but it's not available in the USA anymore.

I've been obsessively shopping & comparing kits, BTW, a great place to do that is at [link=http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/100.htm]Graves RC[/link] ...they carry a TON of brands & models!

As of now, I like:

[link=http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1036.html]GP Easy Sport[/link] What's not to love?

[link=http://www.gravesrc.com/VQ_MODELS_Stick_46_EP_Sport_w_Battery_Hatch_p/glo159867.htm]VQ Models Stick 46[/link] Great price for a stick (why are the GP & Hanger 9 ones so expensive)

[link=http://www.gravesrc.com/AIRBORNE_MODELS_SKY_RAIDER_MACH_1_GREEN_NEW_SCHEME _p/abma177ng.htm]World Models Sky Raider Mach 1[/link] My fave 'traditional' high-wing, semi-symmetrical model

[link=http://www.gravesrc.com/ABM_LA_FLYER_40_BLACK_p/abma234blk.htm]World Models LA Flyer[/link] Like it a lot, a stick w/cockpit & fairing!

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXASPH&P=7]Thunder Tiger Ready 40 Mk.II[/link] Maybe the most intriguing; GREAT price, unique plastic/foam construction (s'posed to be very durable). It's brand-new here, here are some reviews: http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...er-abs-series/
http://www.modelflying.co.uk/reviews...ews.asp?p=1466[img][/img]

OH...a store near me also has a Hanger 9 F-22 Raptor PTS RTF They're asking $300, which is too high for me, as I don't want an FM radio. Figure the ARF is/was about $130, the Evolution engine is about 70 & the simulator's worth about $30...I'd consider 200-250. I really like that plane, and many others do too (if you strengthen the nose & run a big motor).
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 PM
oil_can_harry
My Feedback: (2)

I quit flying for 24 years and got the itch and started flying again this last summer. Knowing I was going to be very rusty from not flying for so long , I wanted a trainer to start back off flying again. My brother has been flying for over 35 years and recommended that I buy a world model
Mach1 and that's what I did. I have built planes from kits in the past, so building the Arf Mach 1 was really easy. The plane is a full symmetrical wing that is flat, but that's what I was wanting. The trainers with semi symmetrical wings and lots of dihedral tend to just want to float and glide and I wanted a trainer that was just a good all round plane. I installed a 46 os la engine w/ a 10 6 prop and off to the field I went. And I was right, I was very rusty with the sticks. The Mach was very forgiving and after a full throttle takeoff and gaining some altitude I pulled it back to about 2/3 throttle and trimmed it out. The plane is awesome. I set it up on dual rates and started flying on the low rate to get the feel of flying again and just to get the feel of the Mach 1.after a couple of weeks and 10 tanks of fuel, I took her off and switched her to high rates. The plane is just so easy to fly. It gets right in the groove and stays there. It is not a 3d plane by no means , but it is pretty acrobatic on high rates and just fun to fly. I am flying a hangar 9 Tango w/ a Evolution 46 w a 12.25 x 3.75 prop now along with a Hangar 9 Twist 60 w a Evolution 60 w a 14  x 4 prop. But I still take the Mach 1 with me when I go fly as it is a fun plane to fly. I have my son flying now and started him on a green Mach 1 as mine is red w/ a trainer cord and he is doing great. Just about ready to solo. The Mach 1 looks good in the air and has good different colors from the bottom to top so you always know which way the plane is oriented. 
Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM
ratshooter

I just bought an Easy Sport kit off ebay. I hope it flies as good as it looks. I never did like the looks of the ARF color scheme. So now I can make it look like I want it to look. I plan on tracing around each part soI can duplicate the kit ifI like the way it flies.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Deandome

[This is a direct response to ratshooter's post above this one...I hit 'reply' instead of 'quote']

I just purchased a Goldberg Falcon Sr. ARF from a guy who contacted me via this thread/forum!!! A lot more $$ than I wanted...but it's such a cool plane, and a true 'classic'. The Easy Sport is great...probby because it's a near-perfect ripof...er, 'homage to' Goldberg's Falcon design!! That woulda been my 'winner' had this not happened (but I woulda gone ARF).

Have you ever built a kitted balsa plane before? It's quite an undertaking, and covering can be a beech if you haven't done it (a few times) before. Good luck!

Not sure how the kit is made, but it might be easier...and more precise...if you photocopy the parts vs. tracing them. Either the individual parts or, preferably, the sheets of laser-cut balsa where the parts are nicely/tightly arranged & their borders have enough contrast to register on the copier. You could adjust the lightness/darkness of the copies until it's just right.

And I KNOW you'd never break any copyright laws or anything, but for safety's sake, you might wanna make a full-size, 1:1 copy of the main plan(s)/blueprint(s), too. Most FedEx/Kinkos could surely do it, but you might get it cheaper if you search for 'reprographics' (and/or just 'graphics') companies near you. It's their business to copy blueprints & plans for construction & manufacturing companies.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM
ratshooter

Have you ever built a kitted balsa plane before? It's quite an undertaking, and covering can be a beech if you haven't done it (a few times) before. Good luck!
Hello Dean. To the best I can remember I have built 44 RC planes since 1979. Most were kits but about 9-10 were planes I designed myself. And to me covering is fun. Its what makes your model unique and yours apart from anyone elses plane. As for building I really like building about as much as I do flying. Matter of fact if you look in the Golden Age section I started a thread asking "How Many Builders Are Left"? It is the second most popular thread in that section after the YMF Waco thread. And the other thread has a 5 year head start. So yep, I LIKE to build.

I have traced parts before but will give the photo copier a try on copying parts. That would be faster. I have been getting plans copied at Staples. Plus there is a copy service that can make plans any size I want. IIRC they are called ARC. My buddy is a printer and he told me about them.

As long as I am not selling the plans I shouldn't have any problems with copyright laws.